Autopopulate Email Subject from Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
When a user opens up a new email from within a Project, it autopopulates the "To:" field with all the linked accounts/contacts that are attached to the project.

How can I get it to also autopopulate the subject of the Project in the "Subject" field? I am fairly-to-moderately familiar with VBA (mostly worked in Excel) and wouldn't mind coming up with a macro to do this, but I'm very new at messing with VBA in BCM. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm not famliar with BCM, however, this should work: The Newinspector event is triggered when a new item opens. In that event check Application.ActiveWindow, if it's an Explorer, ActiveExplorer.Selection(1) gives you a ref on the selected item. If it's an Inspector, Activeinspector.CurrentItem will do it. Once you have that reference, read it's Subject property.

I was able to get it to populate the subject line, but unfortunately when I do that the associated contacts disappear and no longer populate the "To:" field. Oh well.

I'm using a slightly modified version of this example from Microsoft (mine sends an automated email when the notes for a project or task are updated instead of when the status changes). I just added this to ThisOutlookSession after declaring oTaskItem outside all of the other stuff:

Public Sub CreateNewMessage()
Dim objMsg As MailItem
Set objMsg = Application.CreateItem(olMailItem)
With objMsg
.Subject = oTaskItem.Subject
.Display
End With
Set objMsg = Nothing
End Sub​

You're losing the contacts because you are creating a new item:
Set objMsg = Application.CreateItem(olMailItem)

My BCM is broken so i can't test much of anything to find out if there is a way to do what you want. :(

Try the suggested approach, that is Outlook creates the email, and you just change the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P Email address auto-completes work fine on laptop, but no longer on desktop Using Outlook 0
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
H Copying email address(es) in body of email and pasting in To field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Search folder and move the email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P VBA to add email address to Outlook 365 rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
farrissf Outlook 2016 Optimizing Email Searches in Outlook 2016: Seeking Insights on Quick Search vs Advanced Search Features Using Outlook 0
D Delete selected text in outgoing email body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
F Graphics in email / Mac recipient garbled Using Outlook 0
D Outlook VBA forward the selected email to the original sender’s email ID (including the email used in TO, CC Field) from the email chain Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Witzker Outlook 2019 Macro to seach in all contact Folders for marked Email Adress Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
E Outlook 365 Save Selected Email Message as .msg File - oMail.Delete not working when SEARCH Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Email Macros to go to a SHARED Outlook mailbox Draft folder...NOT my personal Outlook Draft folder Using Outlook 2
R Outlook 365 VBA AUTO SEND WITH DELAY FOR EACH EMAIL Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
G Print email attachments when hit subfolder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C Spam Email? Using Outlook 2
G Automatically delete email when a condition is met Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
E Save Selected Email Message as .msg File - digitally sign email doesn't works Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Email was migrated from GoDaddy to Microsoft exchange. We lost IMAP ability Exchange Server Administration 1
R Outlook 365 How to integrate a third-party app with Outlook to track email and sms? Using Outlook 2
S Paperclip icon shows without attachment in email under Sent folder Using Outlook 0
B Outlook 2019 Automatically move email after assigning category Using Outlook 4
Rupert Dragwater How to permanently remove an email address Using Outlook 9
K vba code to auto download email into a specific folder in local hard disk as and when any new email arrives in Inbox/subfolder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
F Auto changing email subject line in bulk Using Outlook 2
F Want to add second email to Outlook for business use Using Outlook 4
kburrows Outlook Email Body Text Disappears/Overlaps, Folders Switch Around when You Hover, Excel Opens Randomly and Runs in the Background - Profile Corrupt? Using Outlook 0
J Outlook 365 Outlook Macro to Sort emails by column "Received" to view the latest email received Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
A Outlook 2019 Help with forwarding email without mentioning the previous email sender. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
J Macro to send email as alias Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M Shift Delete doesn't delete email from server Using Outlook 3
K Incorporate selection from combobox into body of email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
L Why are some email automatically going to "archive" Using Outlook 2
M Outlook Macro to save as Email with a file name format : Date_Timestamp_Sender initial_Email subject Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
B Outlook 2019 Custom Email form - Edit default email form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
F Add a category before "Send an Email When You Add an Appointment to Your Calendar" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
T Problem when requesting to view an email in a browser Using Outlook 0
J Outlook 365 Forward Email Subject to my inbox when new email arrive in shared inbox Using Outlook 0
HarvMan Archive Email Manually Using Outlook 1
L Fetch, edit and forward an email with VBA outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S New Email "From" box stopped working Using Outlook 0
Rupert Dragwater Duplicate email in Folder Using Outlook 7
M "Attachment Detacher for Outlook" add in, does it update the server copy of the email? Using Outlook 1
W Outlook 365 I am getting the "Either there is no default mail client" error when I try to send an email on excel Office 365 Using Outlook 1
MattC Changing the font of an email with VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
L Specific Incoming Email Address Immediately Deleted Using Outlook 2
Witzker Outlook 2019 Macro to send an Email Template from User Defined Contact Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Witzker Outlook 2019 Edit contact from email does not open the user defined contactform Using Outlook 3
V Macro to mark email with a Category Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
R Roadrunner Email Settings | Contact Roadrunner Customer Support Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
D Gmail mail is being delivered to a different email inbox in Outlook App 2021 Using Outlook 2