Trouble Starting Outlook 2010 after Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

B Parker

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Short version of the problem - I left my computer running with Outlook 2010 active. Returned to find that the computer had crashed. Restarted to the Blue Screen of Death, ran BIOS diagnostics found corrupted memory addresses. Replaced RAM. Booted up fine however had numerous software issues with the Windows 7 Pro installation - no WIFI, or LAN driver, no command prompt, etc.

Had a local Computer Shop perform diagnostics/repair of Win7. All seems fine.

However, when I attempt to open Outlook 2010, it returns with the error:
"Cannot Start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The file C:\Users\<user name omitted in this thread>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\<email address omitted in this thread>.ost cannot be accessed. You must connect to Microsoft Exchange at least once before you can use your Outlook data file (.ost)."

I have gone to that address and the named .ost file does exist. I've tried opening that .ost file using Open With and naming Outlook as the program to use. I've used IE to open the named outlook.com address and it opens fine inside IE, but that didn't resolve the issue.

I'm stumped.

Any suggestions?

PS - I am not a business user, so I do not have outlook open a VPN, however I do have a several outlook.com account which I sync emails/contacts/calendars through.

Thanks for your time.

I'm guessing there is some corruption in the ost file. Remove the email account from your profile and add it back - it will create a new ost file.

It seems I wasn't clear about something - Outlook won't start, it errors out with that error message and doesn't open.

Therefore, I cannot remove the email from my profile.

I've attempted a re-start by deleting the .ost file, but it gives me another error message about that file being not found and again, fails to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
N Trouble with server names Using Outlook 1
E Having some trouble with a run-a-script rule (moving mail based on file type) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
G Trouble with Office 365/2016 Using Outlook 3
M Trouble using keyboard shortcut for color categories in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 3
M Trouble downloading Outlook on an Android phone Using Outlook 4
U Trouble migrating Contacts (2002) to People (2013) Using Outlook 3
K New to BCM - trouble importing contacts & accounts BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
makinmyway Trouble Installing BCM Outlook 2013; Endless Install Loop Happens Using Outlook 0
B Trying to get old emails from a not working computer but having trouble. Using Outlook 6
M Trouble Importing folders from Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 12
S trouble with Outlook 2010 saving sent emails Using Outlook 2
B Trouble Locating Tools Menu since There's No Standard Toolbar in Office 2010 Using Outlook 1
T Outlook 2007 - trouble with alphabetizing when titles are used (ie - Mr.) Using Outlook 0
M Outlook 2010 stuck in Work Offline mode; trouble sending email Using Outlook 1
A Trouble importing data to radio buttons Business Contact Manager 2010 (BCM) Using Outlook 2
B Trouble Adding @Outlook.com Email Accounts Using Outlook 3
A emails disappearing from inbox outlook 2010 exchange server 2010 major trouble Exchange Server Administration 6
K Trouble converting the ANSI PST to a Unicode PST Using Outlook 4
V Trouble Running Outlook 2007 and 2010 Using Outlook 4
U Trouble for sharing Calendar Using Outlook 3
S Trouble setting up Outlook Connector to sync with windows live Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
T Trouble with creating database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
M having trouble importing excel data into outlook contacts BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
K Trouble using SaveAs Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M trouble connection to remote database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
S Need code to allow defined starting folder and selection from there to drill down Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
S Macro using .SendUsingAccount only works the first time, after starting Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
G Rule starting a VB macro against incoming email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
S Setup many personal calendars on outlook 2013 on new laptop- starting over Using Outlook 1
N Starting out with BCM - Customizing contact records BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
B Starting up outlook in Windows 8 Using Outlook 2
K Starting Outlook 2013 x64 minimized in Win 8 with or without Task manager Using Outlook 5
V Starting Fresh with a new PST file. Using Outlook 0
D Starting Outlook 2K3 without e-mail support Using Outlook 4
S Starting outlook in imap Inbox Using Outlook 7
C starting Outlook 2003 sp3 sets Junk Email setting to 'No automatic filtering' Using Outlook 3
T Click "A" to see all email from people with names starting with A... etc Using Outlook 3
J Problems starting Information Store Server in Exchange 2003 Exchange Server Administration 13
C Starting out and would like advice Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Outlook can't remember outlook.com, Exchange password. Using Outlook 0
S Related messages show in main Outlook window vice new Advanced Find windows Using Outlook 1
H Force Outlook 2019 with GMail 2-Step to Require Login? Using Outlook 0
G Retaining Tabs in outlook body Using Outlook 2
V Setting up Outlook 2021 on new computer Using Outlook 2
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
X Custom icon (not from Office 365) for a macro in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Victor_50 Problem - Google Workspace will stop "unsafe" access to Outlook end 2024 Using Outlook 3
C New pc, new outlook, is it possible to import auto-complete emailaddress Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 365 won't take new working password Using Outlook 0
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4