Possible to link to ics file without importing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staffs Lebowski

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Hi Everyone,

My girlfriend manages her diary in Excel (don't ask..) and I'm trying to merge her 'Excel diary' with my Outlook Diary. I wrote some VBA code that outputs her 'diary' into a standard iCalendar (.ics) file format when she closes Excel. If I then double click the .ics file, I can then view it in Outlook, no problem and all works great.

I have a few questions, hopefully someone can answer them for me?!:

I would like to 'link' (not import) to this .ics file, so that whenever I open Outlook, it automatically shows the data from this file. (I think this is called 'subscribing' in Outlook. Please correct me if I am wrong). I tried the following but it did not work:

1.1 - Created an .ics file
1.2 - Double clicked the .ics file and it displayed OK
1.3 - Closed Outlook
1.4 - Replaced original .ics file with different data.

When I next opened Outlook, it showed the calendar imformation from the first .ics file. In other words, Outlook had imported the information from the first file and did not 'link' to the second file. How do I force Outlook to look at the contant of the file? (if it's possible..?)

2 - If it is possible to 'link' to an .ics file, can this file be on a remote server? (ie: not on a local drive?)

3 - Is it also possible to 'point' my session of Outlook.com to this .ics file?

FYI: I'm using Office 365 Home, Windows 7.

Thanks for reading, hope you can help.

Staffs Lebowski.

Yes, it would be subscribing. The ics needs to be published to a WebDAV server though.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
In both cases, it needs to be on a WebDAV server. Unfortunately, while google drive and dropbox support WebDAV, they can't be used for publishing the ics.

Yes, it would be subscribing. The ics needs to be published to a WebDAV server though.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
In both cases, it needs to be on a WebDAV server. Unfortunately, while google drive and dropbox support WebDAV, they can't be used for publishing the ics.

Hi Diane,

Thank you for taking the time to reply, it's much appreciated..

So, when you double click an .ics file, Outlook imports the details of the file. Proven because a:) The same file details persist when you re-open Outlook and b:) if you replace the content of the file, Outlook does not show the new data..

So.. I have this .ics file and what you are saying is (please correct me if I am wrong), that I need to put this .ics file on a WebDAV server. Then, Outlook (and Outlook.com) can connect to the WebDAV server and then 'subscribe' to the .ics file. Is this correct?

Again, thanks for your help..

Staffs Lebowski.

Correct. If its on a WebDAV web server, you can subscribe to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C New pc, new outlook, is it possible to import auto-complete emailaddress Using Outlook 4
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Is it possible to have a reminder in Outlook 2021 for every 90 days Using Outlook 3
W Outlook 2016 MSI - Possible to make work with O365 modern Auth & Win7? Using Outlook 4
O Outlook - How to embed font ? (If at all possible) Using Outlook 2
S Outlook 365 Can I change the possible range of highlighting colours when writing an Outlook email? Using Outlook 1
T Outlook 2013 Possible interference by Telstra ISP with Hotmail Password Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 4
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Is it possible to transfer things from one calendar to another Using Outlook 2
V Is it possible to collect statistics from Outlook forms? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Is it possible it set the fonts used to read incoming mail Using Outlook 25
S Is it possible to cusstomise selectable Options in Kalander. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Is it no longer possible to suppress Outlook 2019 Invalid Certificate name mismatch security alert via Registry? Using Outlook 1
BretAB Is it possible to add a lookup field to a Message form? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
A Possible to hide ribbon with custom appointment form? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M possible to search Outlook for multiple email addresses at once? Using Outlook 1
semnaitik Is it possible to recover content from a 0KB PST file? Using Outlook 3
J Is this possible to do with a macro? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 17
D Is it possible to automatically send an email when it is moved to a folder? Exchange Server Administration 1
T Exchange setup not possible with outlook.de username Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
H Is it possible to create a view that only show the first task in a list? Using Outlook 1
H Is It Possible to See Who Has Viewed My Calendar in Exchange? Using Outlook 2
P Is it possible to convert address book to "Auto-Complete List" (NK2)? Using Outlook 5
C in outlook 2007-Contact Group-One name have 3 mail id-its possible? Using Outlook 3
J convert .pst to .eml, how is it possible? Using Outlook 1
S Is it possible to recover a permanently deleted email from my .OST file? Using Outlook 0
M Is it possible to restore deleted webmail to server? Using Outlook 3
P Is it possible to write a macro to email to all addresses of selected contacts? Using Outlook 1
D is it possible to have both a POP and IMAP account in Outlook 2013? Using Outlook 5
C Is it possible to have contacts sync real-time between Outlook and iCloud? Using Outlook 1
P Is it possible to sort emails by COUNT of "From" field? Using Outlook 2
Justo Horrillo It's possible to modify the behaviour of the conversation option? Using Outlook 2
P Outlook 2003 - possible to recreate corrupt account? Using Outlook 3
FirefIy Marking message read only if replied to the message or Ctrl+Q. Possible? Using Outlook 1
O Script to move emails to a folder based on various possible keywords Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
A Is it possible to remove the word Categories: from task list views? Using Outlook 2
B Is it possible with Outlook form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
Steve Jacobs Possible to configure TNEF options based on *sender*? Exchange Server Administration 3
S Is it possible to backup Outlook.com/Outlook 2013 Email & Calendar info? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
O Is it possible to go from BCM Office 13 back to BCM Office 2010? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
E Show field from account on contact form - possible? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
A Possible to modify people preview window? Using Outlook 1
T OL BCM 2007 - Possible to migrate SQL Server Express 2012 ? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
V Name of attachment in replies (HTML) - possible?? Using Outlook 12
C Is it possible: List of URL fields BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
D Frequently used response short cut possible macro Using Outlook 1
mrje1 Assigned Categories keep getting deleted in mail, bug? How to fix if possible? Using Outlook 5
Commodore Exporting all contacts to VCF files possible? Using Outlook 4
M I'd like to alter the appointment balloons. Possible? Using Outlook 6
J Is it possible to highlight a folder in Outlook 2007? Using Outlook 2
L I want ONE calendar if possible with no overlaying Using Outlook 1
S possible to access my PST file on the Internet Using Outlook 2