Assigned Categories keep getting deleted in mail, bug? How to fix if possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrje1

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Hello Everyone,

I am using Outlook 2010 on Windows 8. Here is my issue. I assign all my emails with a specific category. I am not sure how much later, but Outlook removes the categories that are assigned to the emails. I spent quite a bit of time getting all my emails organized this way and is a bit frustrating to have all my hard work erased. The Categories are still located in the category list though. Is this a common bug? If so, how do I get this fixed?

I do appreciate your help. Thank you very much.

Re: Assigned Categories keep getting deleted in mail, bug? How to fix if possi

This is with a pop3 account? I've seen it happen with outlook connector and imap accounts. Neither supports categories so they get wiped out after a couple of syncs.

Thank you Diane for your help. Yes, I am all set up with pop3 accounts. I have 7 email accounts hooked up. Also, I would like to add that I automatically assign categories via rules for incoming mail as well.

Ok, I figured out the culprit. I have rules set up and by mistake I found out what was going on. In the Run Rules Now Dialog, I had every rules selected including the culprit (Clear Categories on Mail recommended) When I pressed Run Now, it wiped out all the categories, but once I removed the selection from the Clear Categories option and pressed run now, it all came back and now it is not being deleted any more. Will see if it continues to be fine over time. So, if I was wrong, I will re-post here.

Thank you for your help Diane.

Cool. Thanks for the update.

Your welcome. Enjoy your evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P how to remove unwanted PST file default categories assigned to many calendar entries Using Outlook 7
P Emails assigned with a certain category (within a shared inbox) to be copied to a specific folder. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
F How to show assigned tasks under certain mailbox? Using Outlook 4
C Changing Domain -- Assigned To User field Migration? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
D Macro to export mail data based on assigned category Using Outlook 3
A Can Rule Check Category Contact is assigned? Using Outlook 1
P Can't Add User to Assigned to List in a Shared BCM2010 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
K Set "Assigned To" for a Contact Item Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
P Custom Task Cannot be open when assigned. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
S reminder for assigned tasks Using Outlook 5
C Accessing _RecipientControl1 (Assigned To) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
V VBA Categories unrelated to visible calendar and Visual appointment Categories Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Z Outlook 365 Automatically assign categories to incoming mail in a shared folder Round Robin Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P How to add a column named categories when searching in Outlook Using Outlook 0
S Folder Pane Colour Categories Using Outlook 6
Ken Pascoe Outlook Categories Quick List Using Outlook 0
R Assign Categories "Round Robin" style but in a shared mailbox but on specific emails only Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
O Calendar - appointment templates and categories Using Outlook 1
T Increasing the number of items that appear on the Categories list Using Outlook 2
Y Outlook 2013 Stop Outlook from automatically assigning categories to Tasks Using Outlook 0
D Assign categories to outgoing emails Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Z How to show concatenated categories in list task view? Using Outlook 2
D Importing Outlook Categories from another domain (Exchange 2016/Outlook 2016) Using Outlook 4
S Conditional formatting problem with "is not empty" and categories Using Outlook 2
A Outlook macro to create search folder with mail categories as criteria Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
P Import Categories from Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 8
A Outlook reverse categories Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Mark Foley Color Categories on IMAP mail lost when installing new Windows 7 workstation Using Outlook 12
B VBA Macro for assigning multiple Categories to an email in my Inbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Task Categories Using Outlook 2
I categories for outgoing email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
S Appointment-Cannot set Categories because ConversationID is not set Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Using conditional formatting on a shared calendar with categories Using Outlook 6
S Appointment colour categories disappear Using Outlook 4
Z Outlook.com Contact categories Using Outlook 8
A Are categories still recommended for creating local distribution lists? Using Outlook 3
Diane Poremsky Using Categories for Dynamic Distribution Lists Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Printing Calendars with Color Categories Using Outlook 0
avant-guvnor Outlook 2016 and views, categories etc. Using Outlook 3
T categories in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 0
makinmyway How to Easily/Quickly Ungroup by Categories Using Outlook 1
C Printing tasks with multiple categories Using Outlook 5
Mark Foley Where are Outlook categories save for IMAP? Using Outlook 12
M Trouble using keyboard shortcut for color categories in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 3
T Outlook 2007 adding categories Using Outlook 15
E Outlook 2013 is stripping out categories on sent meeting invites Using Outlook 0
Karlski Deselecting categories often takes 3+ attempts Using Outlook 3
A Keep color categories when saving vCards Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky How to Upgrade to Color Categories Using Outlook 0
K Missing Categories & Colors Using Outlook 5