Assigned Categories keep getting deleted in mail, bug? How to fix if possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrje1

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Hello Everyone,

I am using Outlook 2010 on Windows 8. Here is my issue. I assign all my emails with a specific category. I am not sure how much later, but Outlook removes the categories that are assigned to the emails. I spent quite a bit of time getting all my emails organized this way and is a bit frustrating to have all my hard work erased. The Categories are still located in the category list though. Is this a common bug? If so, how do I get this fixed?

I do appreciate your help. Thank you very much.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Re: Assigned Categories keep getting deleted in mail, bug? How to fix if possi

This is with a pop3 account? I've seen it happen with outlook connector and imap accounts. Neither supports categories so they get wiped out after a couple of syncs.

mrje1

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3

Thank you Diane for your help. Yes, I am all set up with pop3 accounts. I have 7 email accounts hooked up. Also, I would like to add that I automatically assign categories via rules for incoming mail as well.

mrje1

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3

Ok, I figured out the culprit. I have rules set up and by mistake I found out what was going on. In the Run Rules Now Dialog, I had every rules selected including the culprit (Clear Categories on Mail recommended) When I pressed Run Now, it wiped out all the categories, but once I removed the selection from the Clear Categories option and pressed run now, it all came back and now it is not being deleted any more. Will see if it continues to be fine over time. So, if I was wrong, I will re-post here.

Thank you for your help Diane.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange

Cool. Thanks for the update.

mrje1

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account