Using conditional formatting on a shared calendar with categories

Marc S

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I have an interesting problem that I am really hoping someone has a good solution for.

Context and issue:
  • I am using Outlook 2016 Exchange
  • I have access to a shared calendar (with editor rights).
  • The owner of the shared calendar has most meetings color-coded using categories.
  • I would like the calendar I see to have a very different color scheme, using conditional formatting.
  • Outlook won't apply conditional formatting if a category color is set.
  • I cannot delete the category just on my version of the calendar (as far as I know - is that right?).
Best idea I can come up with:
  • Make a copy of the shared calendar
  • Delete all categories
  • Apply a view I have set with all the conditional formatting I want
Problems with my idea:
  • I would have to repeat this at least once a week, which is annoying and time-consuming.
  • In-week changes to the shared calendar would not be captured on my version of it
Questions for the experts:
  • Is my approach the only/best way to accomplish this?
  • If it is, could a macro take care of all these steps, including deleting the previous copy, making a new copy, deleting categories (and reminders?)
Any great ideas out there on this one?

Much appreciated!

Marc

Michael Bauer

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
I´m not an expert for Exchange permissions so I don´t know if this is possible: If you can remove your permission to read hidden items from the default calendar of the shared mailbox, then you wouldn´t see its colors. Without a color applied, you would get the conditional formatting back.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
If you can remove your permission to read hidden items from the default calendar of the shared mailbox
i don't think you can... but what are the min. permissions required to see the owners colors?

I cannot delete the category just on my version of the calendar (as far as I know - is that right?).
Right.
Make a copy of the shared calendar
Yeah... or use a macro to do it daily. Create views for 'all calendar folders' and use the macro to delete the existing folder (for for this folder only would get deleted when the folder is deleted) and copy the items, removing the categories (its easier than checking each item or making dupes). i have a macro that does this with selected calendars- a few tweaks and it can copy just this shared calendar - Combine and Print Multiple Outlook Calendars

Marc S

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Thanks for the input.

Changing permissions does work to eliminate the color from the category, but the category itself is remains listed on each calendar entry, and conditional formatting still does not seem to work. (It works fine on entries with no category set, but not on entries with a category, even though no color shows - annoying).

Diane, thanks for the macro script! While duplicating a massive calendar everyday is not high on my list, seems like the best option. I will give it a shot.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Changing permissions does work to eliminate the color from the category, but the category itself is remains listed on each calendar entry, and conditional formatting still does not seem to work.
I was afraid of that - the "white" color overrides conditional formatting. You need to remove the categories completely.

The macro should make it easy to duplicate - especially if you can limit it to just a few days on either side of 'today'.

Michael Bauer

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Just curious, which permission did you remove to get rid of the color?

Marc S

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
@Michael Bauer, I changed the READ permission to "Free/Busy time, Subject, Location". This changes the overall permission level to "Custom".