outlook pst files

Status
Not open for further replies.

fausto

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
Hi at all!
I'm new registered at this site...I would ask you some advices about this issue: in outlook 2007 when I try to open personal folders in a hotmail account,suddenly a message appears :"cannot expand folders.Outlook.ost file is not a offline folders.
I already tried all..programs,backups,but I cannot locate files .pst; probably damaged...I also changed options choosing hidden folders.
gimme advices
thanks

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
outlook.ost is the data file that the hotmail account uses, it's in the local appdata microsoft\outlook folder and only the account that created it can use it.

Do you have any other accounts or data files in your profile?

in Tools, account settings, switch to the Data files tab and select the hotmail account's data file. Click ' open folder location' button and it will open the outlook folder where the data fil should be. You can try closing outlook, deleting the file, and then restarting outlook or remove the account from your profile and add it back.

fausto

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
outlook.ost is the data file that the hotmail account uses, it's in the local appdata microsoft\outlook folder and only the account that created it can use it.

Do you have any other accounts or data files in your profile?

in Tools, account settings, switch to the Data files tab and select the hotmail account's data file. Click ' open folder location' button and it will open the outlook folder where the data fil should be. You can try closing outlook, deleting the file, and then restarting outlook or remove the account from your profile and add it back.
Dear Diane Poremsky,many thanks for reply to thread. I'm sorry to tell you that the open folder location button is not available by click.If I want to restore or find any .pst files is impossible to see the path in account settings - data files...is completely unavailable....
I have tried to change profile,canceled that as default , but once I opened outlook the message has reappeared.
Can you give me any advice.....?I am truly thinking at reinstallation of office if it can give a possibility....

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
It's possible that Connector accounts don't have the Open folder button - I'm on the road and can't check in a virtual machine.

the folder path is a hidden file - if you try browsing to it, you won't find it. If you use Windows 7 or 8 (or Vista), you can type or paste %localappdata%\microsoft\outlook in the address bar of windows explorer and press Enter to open the folder where the ost is.

You can either delete the ost or delete the account from Outlook and add it back.

fausto

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
It's possible that Connector accounts don't have the Open folder button - I'm on the road and can't check in a virtual machine.

the folder path is a hidden file - if you try browsing to it, you won't find it. If you use Windows 7 or 8 (or Vista), you can type or paste %localappdata%\microsoft\outlook in the address bar of windows explorer and press Enter to open the folder where the ost is.

You can either delete the ost or delete the account from Outlook and add it back.
Dear Diane Poremssky, I have windows xp as O.S. and I already tried to delete accounts and add them back, no way....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Export NSF Lotus Notes files in Outlook PST format? Using Outlook 1
K Outlook Archive to PST Files by Date Range VBA Script? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Z Importing PST files from Outlook 07 to Outlook mac Preview Using Outlook 1
E Want to Import Outlook 2003 pst files to later version Using Outlook 6
T Query about one aspect of migrating .pst files from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 5
Jon Bakrley problems with outlook 2013 and pst files Using Outlook 4
T Rename Outlook 2010 .PST Files Using Outlook 14
K Outlook 2010 creating extremely large PST files for IMAP accounts Using Outlook 3
F Outlook 2013 and default .pst files Using Outlook 1
E Outlook PST files disappear, only found temp file HELP: Using Outlook 1
G Opening pst files in different versions of outlook Using Outlook 2
E Does Outlook 2010 support searching multiple .pst files simultaneously? Using Outlook 0
H Bulk import of PST files into Outlook Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 2010 search of PST files doesn't work unless in cached mode Using Outlook 3
H Opening .PST archive files in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 10
Commodore Cloudifying Outlook and/or PST files Using Outlook 5
H Attempting to Move PST Files to New Installation of Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
U How can I restore .pst files to a now empty Outlook from which I accidently removed them? Using Outlook 1
S Set up Outlook 2010 by backing up pst files, incoming mail fine but outgoing originally gave me the Using Outlook 1
M Outlook says the PST files is in use by another program - but it is not? Using Outlook 2
G Outlook 2010 files is not working due to missing .pst files although rest of Office suite is working Using Outlook 4
D How do I delete multiple .PST files at same time in outlook 2010?__ Using Outlook 1
D Re: How do I delete multiple .PST files at same time in outlook 2010?__ Using Outlook 3
R Trying to import pst files inot outlook Using Outlook 10
R Problems With Outlook & PST Files Using Outlook 2
J Missing .pst and .pab files after reinstalling Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
D open pst files from outlook 2003 Using Outlook 3
P Transfer several pst files from Outlook 2002 to Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 2
A need to clean .pst files on outlook. email box full__ Using Outlook 5
M pst data files in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
S Language problems Exchange 2010 - Outlook 2007 after importing pst files Exchange Server Administration 2
M Unable to open Outlook. Error: Error have been detected in the files c:user\my name\appdata\local\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst. quit outlook and mai Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2010 deletes pst files on installation Using Outlook 2
J Duplicate default folders (Calendar, RSS Feed etc) when using Outlook 2007 on WinXP and Win7 boxes. I am not using PST files. Using Outlook 4
M Transfering Outlook PST files Using Outlook 1
C Outlook fails to open old .pst files created under Office 2000 Using Outlook 1
M After EASY TRANSFER - Outlook 2007 PST Files not available?__ Using Outlook 4
M Want to import outlook'07/'03 version pst files to outlook XP Version. Using Outlook 1
B Backup of Outlook PST files Using Outlook 1
M Can OUTLOOK files be used after motherboard crashes?__without a recent pst file.... Using Outlook 4
J Outlook and PST files Using Outlook 3
J why 'Open' pst. data files link only to My Documents? Outlook archive and data files are stored in Local App Using Outlook 1
R Outlook does not open archived pst files Using Outlook 10
P Outlook 2007 Pro, Address Book missing all entries after moving outlook.pst files Using Outlook 3
E Outlook 2007 .pst files - can't delete or receive because they are full Using Outlook 4
H Cursor not visible or working in Outlook after importing pst files Using Outlook 1
S Cannot seach my 2007 Outlook PST files using Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
G Re: Windows Search (and/or Outlook 2007 Instant Search) does not index emails from Outlook PST files Using Outlook 1
M File .pst files in folders in the outlook 2007 navigation pane. Using Outlook 2
B Compressing Outlook.pst files Using Outlook 1