Outlook 2016 Moving Outlook.pst & archive1.pst

phrab

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I have Outlook 2003 on Windows XP & Outlook 2016 on Windows 10. I don't use it for email. I copy the outlook.pst & archive1.pst (my primary archive file) back & forth between the comptuters to keep them in sync. I use a data cable to copy from one computer to the other.

I can't use Windows Explorer to locate the folders, so each time I want to copy, I have to start with the C:\ drive & drill my way down to the folders that have outlook.pst. I want to move the outlook.pst & archive1.pst on each computer to a more convenient folder location.

I know I can move the archive1.pst file by changing the location in advanced options:
Outlook 2016: File>Options>Advanced>AutoArchive Settings>Run autoarchive & then change location of archive1.pst & then uncheck the Run autoarchive box.
Outlook 2003: Tools>Options>Other tab & then browse to the new location

However, I'm not sure what will happen if I move the Outlook.pst files.

1) If I move them to wherever I want while Outlook is closed, will this cause any problems?

2) I happen to have two archive files Archive.pst (a very old one) & Archive1.pst (more recent). Is there a way to combine them into one file?

a) If not, is there a way to load both of them, so I can search further back?
Thanks in advance,
Phil

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
1) If I move them to wherever I want while Outlook is closed, will this cause any problems?

2) I happen to have two archive files Archive.pst (a very old one) & Archive1.pst (more recent). Is there a way to combine them into one file?

a) If not, is there a way to load both of them, so I can search further back?
1) it sometimes messes up the address book if you open outlook and when it whines, point it to the new location - but you can do it and set the new location in control panel, mail. Steps are here - Move an Outlook Personal Folders .pst File
2) inport the old one into the new one or create a new pst and import both into it. Definitely create a new pst if the pst were not created in your current version of outlook.
a) Sure - you can open at least 50 pst files in your profile using File, open, outlook data file.

phrab

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Thank you, Diane. Worked like a charm, although I had to customize a bunch of views & preferences. Hope you have a great weekend!

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Views are stored in the default data file unless you copy them to a folder for 'this folder only', then they are available only in that folder...