Moving Outlook.pst & archive1.pst

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrab

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I have Outlook 2003 on Windows XP & Outlook 2016 on Windows 10. I don't use it for email. I copy the outlook.pst & archive1.pst (my primary archive file) back & forth between the comptuters to keep them in sync. I use a data cable to copy from one computer to the other.

I can't use Windows Explorer to locate the folders, so each time I want to copy, I have to start with the C:\ drive & drill my way down to the folders that have outlook.pst. I want to move the outlook.pst & archive1.pst on each computer to a more convenient folder location.

I know I can move the archive1.pst file by changing the location in advanced options:
Outlook 2016: File>Options>Advanced>AutoArchive Settings>Run autoarchive & then change location of archive1.pst & then uncheck the Run autoarchive box.
Outlook 2003: Tools>Options>Other tab & then browse to the new location

However, I'm not sure what will happen if I move the Outlook.pst files.

1) If I move them to wherever I want while Outlook is closed, will this cause any problems?

2) I happen to have two archive files Archive.pst (a very old one) & Archive1.pst (more recent). Is there a way to combine them into one file?

a) If not, is there a way to load both of them, so I can search further back?
Thanks in advance,
Phil

1) If I move them to wherever I want while Outlook is closed, will this cause any problems?

2) I happen to have two archive files Archive.pst (a very old one) & Archive1.pst (more recent). Is there a way to combine them into one file?

a) If not, is there a way to load both of them, so I can search further back?

1) it sometimes messes up the address book if you open outlook and when it whines, point it to the new location - but you can do it and set the new location in control panel, mail. Steps are here - Move an Outlook Personal Folders .pst File
2) inport the old one into the new one or create a new pst and import both into it. Definitely create a new pst if the pst were not created in your current version of outlook.
a) Sure - you can open at least 50 pst files in your profile using File, open, outlook data file.

Thank you, Diane. Worked like a charm, although I had to customize a bunch of views & preferences. Hope you have a great weekend!

Views are stored in the default data file unless you copy them to a folder for 'this folder only', then they are available only in that folder...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
N Reply to Outlook messages by moving messages to a specific Outlook folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
O Moving "tasks" to inbox in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
F Moving Outlook to new PC Using Outlook 0
glnz Moving from Outlook 2003 to MS365 Outlook - need basics Using Outlook 4
T I'm thinking about moving from outlook.com to the Outlook I have in my Office 365 Using Outlook 1
L Moving emails with similar subject and find the timings between the emails using outlook VBA macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
U Outlook 2010 'freezes' before moving emails Using Outlook 2
A Moving archived contents in Outlook 2007 back into working folders Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Outlook.com is moving to Office 365! Using Outlook 3
Diane Poremsky Moving Outlook to a New Computer Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook Using Outlook 0
M1ck53 Moving Outlook Using Outlook 9
Diane Poremsky Moving an Outlook offline data file (*.ost) Using Outlook 3
E Moving autoarchive settings to new computer (Outlook 2007) Using Outlook 1
R Moving contacts from ICloud back to Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
M which Outlook recommended to buy for moving Outlook 2000 versions Contact Data Using Outlook 2
A Outlook 2013 EAS: moving message causes duplicates Using Outlook 3
A Moving .msg files back into outlook Using Outlook 2
M moving custom field data between outlook and excel? Using Outlook 4
G Moving "Delete" button on Outlook for Mac Using Outlook 1
S Moving folders from outlook 2010 to a new computer with outlook 2013 Using Outlook 1
A Outlook VBA - moving mail item to public folder using variable within path Using Outlook 6
O New to Outlook 2013, dealing with copying vs. moving sent items Using Outlook 0
O Moving OUtlook 2003 from bad XP to Win 7 Pro 64 -- URGENT! Using Outlook 8
P Outlook 2013 rules -- not working reliably -- moving messages to wrong boxes Using Outlook 0
D Tons of issues moving Outlook accounts Using Outlook 1
Y Moving outlook data/profile from windows 2010 to mac 2011 Using Outlook 3
A moving outlook 2002 from xp to win 7 or 8 Using Outlook 2
J Moving Outlook data from one PC to another Using Outlook 6
B Opening a saved Outlook customized form after moving it to another folder Using Outlook 2
I Outlook moving random messages from folders back to the inbox Using Outlook 1
N Moving communication history and activities from BCM to OUtlook BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
K Moving data from Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2007 with BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
N Moving contacts and activities from BCM to OUtlook BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
P Moving from 2010 to 365 Using Outlook 3
Abraham Outlook 2013 Lost my folders when moving from PST to IMAP Using Outlook 11
R Moved 6 months worth (approx 1500 emails) lost from moving from TPG inbox to Icloud inbox (folders) Using Outlook 3
A Moving Public Folders to New Database Exchange Server Administration 3
R Problem moving file “Email folders.pst” to new PC Using Outlook 5
E Having some trouble with a run-a-script rule (moving mail based on file type) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
F Moving Contacts to New Profile Using Outlook 0
J Moving Imported folder Using Outlook 2
J Outlook 2016 Moving IMAP emails to Exchange Using Outlook 1
A .restrict results changing after moving to Exchange online Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Moving .OST file location unsuccessful! Using Outlook 6
M Moving mail to another folder is much slower than before (Office365) Using Outlook 0
D Any updates or fixes that would make this code stop working just moving emails to another folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B Moving account, contacts & emails to another H/D with MSOutlook Using Outlook 5
M I'm Having problems Moving Contacts to a New List Using Outlook 8
D Moving Emails Based on Recipient/Sender Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4