How to prevent extra line feeds in replies

Status
Not open for further replies.

evdbogaard

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
When I send HTML-email (Outlook 2010) I use a ParagraphAfter setting of 10p in my standard style.

When I receive a reply to such a message I notice that in my original text (quoted in the reply) in all paragraphs a hard space followed by an extra paragraph mark is inserted after the original paragraph marks (i.e. ¶ is replaced by ¶º¶ ).

The result is that those paragraphs are separated two lines from each other, which is obviously not what I intended.

Is there a way to avoid this (except not using 10p spacing after...)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ed

I usually recommend using shift+enter if its a problem - it should only be a problem if the recipient uses web mail. The other option is to change the spacing and only hot Enter once, not twice, after a paragraph.

Hi Diane,

Thanks for your reply.

I never hit Enter twice. Extra spacing is provided by the SpaceAfter setting in the standard style.

What I understand from your reply is that if the recipient uses web mail and answers my email, the SpaceAfter setting in my standard style is converted into an extra Enter (preceded by a hard space). Is that correct? If so, is there a way to prevent this (i.e. on my side, so in the way I compose my e-mail)?

Thanks,
Ed

Correct, it's converted to two paragraphs instead of using margin or padding in CSS.

What mail provider is doing this? When I last tested it with Gmail and GoDaddy (my only web mail accounts that had issues), the extra spacing worked ok and only no spacing with 2 enters were a problem. (Most people don't like the extra spacing and some mail clients ignore it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R How to prevent corrupted Notes format in Calendar and Contacts Using Outlook 0
O How to prevent image resize when pasting Using Outlook 2
P Prevent Outlook 2016 from using DASL filter Using Outlook 4
D Prevent popup of "Do you want to save changes?" when closing after opening an appointment to view Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
O How to prevent CC from showing when creating a new mail? Using Outlook 1
A Prevent connection to Public Folders on Exchange? Exchange Server Administration 3
L OL 2016 contact: is there a way to prevent an admin from mistakenly deleting a contact? Using Outlook 1
D Multiple mailboxes, 1 certificate. How to prevent message "Invalid Certificate" Using Outlook 0
S How to prevent addins Using Outlook 0
makinmyway How Prevent Re-Formatting of Contact Notes Field When Syncing Using Outlook 10
Diane Poremsky Prevent Users From Choosing Stationery Using Outlook 0
oliv- Prevent copying shared contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
oj43085 Prevent Outlook from blocking image from a single source Using Outlook 4
I How to prevent exchange email account from sending emails in Outlook Using Outlook 4
D Prevent Outlook from resolving incomplete contact when clicking send Using Outlook 2
K Prevent meeting requests being sent from a shared calendar in a group mailbox Using Outlook 1
N Prevent reminder dismisal in shared calendar Using Outlook 1
C Security Question - How to prevent users exporting .iaf files Using Outlook 5
B Item_Write = False don't prevent custom form from closing Using Outlook 1
T WAB editing: To help prevent malicious code from running.......... Using Outlook 18
N Allow Another User to Send on Behalf of But Prevent Access to Inbox Using Outlook 4
R Exchange 2010 archive-prevent users moving items direct to archive Exchange Server Administration 1
M Links prevent sending email Using Outlook 3
K How to prevent that Outlook is sending before my add-in is finished? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
K Prevent sending Excel files as attachements Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C Prevent Outlook from sending an email with a blank Subject Line Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
G To Prevent Malicious Code from running, one or more objects in thi BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
S To help prevent malicious code from running, one or more objects in this form were not loaded. For m Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Script to either modify "from" address or prevent a reply being se Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J prevent user from installing wrong version of add-in Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Z Prevent Changes to Custom Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Caio "From" field doesn't show extra email addresses in Outlook 2016. Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 6
J Remove extra line above signature in reply Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
P Extra PST File Using Outlook 2
S Using Send on Behalf is adding extra data in from line Using Outlook 1
S Extra Spacing in Email Replies Using Outlook 1
C extra characters added to email when exporting Using Outlook 2
D How to remove "extra" contacts folders in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
J Extra text on an Outlook 2007 custom form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
H using VBA to edit subject line Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
O VBA - Regex - remove double line spacing Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
F Auto changing email subject line in bulk Using Outlook 2
R Outlook Working off line Using Outlook 0
D Prompt to prefix subject line whenever sending an email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Witzker Add a text line at the end of the note field in all selected Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
R 550 maximum allowed line length is 998 octets, got 1012 Using Outlook 7
2 How to get rid of the "Emailing:" prefix in the subject line Using Outlook 1
E Outlook - eliminate same adresses from to, and bc line Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
N Line to move origEmail to subfolder within a reply macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
D ISOmacro to extract active mail senders name and email, CC, Subject line, and filename of attachments and import them into premade excel spread sheet Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2