Image scaling on high DPI screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Wood

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Our company uses Google Apps mail, with some staff using Outlook IMAP as their mail client. I am having problems inserting images into signatures and having them display consistently on some of our laptops that have high dpi displays with desktop scaling enabled (>100%). The problems are as follows:
  • Emails sent from Gmail's web interface don't display correctly in high dpi Outlook. The images don't scale, but the text does. The same emails look fine in Outlook if desktop scaling is set to 100%. (EDIT: It turns out that they only don't display correctly the first time the email loads! If you close the message and then reopen it, they are scaled correctly.)
  • Emails sent from high dpi outlook look fine in Outlook itself, but when they are viewed in Gmail, the images are too big: they are scaled up by the display scaling set on the sending machine (e.g. 125%, 150% or 175%).
How can I achieve consistent behaviour, so that:
  • Emails sent from Gmail's web interface correctly scale in high dpi Outlook?
  • Emails sent from high dpi outlook do not scale up when viewed on non-scaled screens (either in Outlook or Gmail)?

I've done some more investigating on this. The key issue I'm now facing is as follows. When I insert an image into my Outlook signature on a high-dpi screen with desktop scaling enabled, it looks fine, and appears the correct size relative to the text alongside it. If I sent a test message to myself and open it on the high-dpi screen in Outlook, it's fine there, too. However, if I open the same test email on a screen without desktop scaling enabled (i.e. at 100% scaling), then the image is too big, so that it looks out of proportion from the text alongside it, and severely pixellated.

I know what the cause of this is, but I don't know how to fix it! The cause is that Outlook on the high-dpi screen scales the image when it's inserted so that it is the right size relative to the text alongside it, i.e. it increases it by the scaling factor of the desktop. Thus, it looks fine on the high-dpi scaled screen. However, that scaling is not applied just to the view, the scaled pixel sizes get applied to the image in the sent message, too. Thus, an image that is 100x100px gets scaled up to 175x175px (on a 175% scaled screen). Then, when the email is viewed on a screen with a smaller scaling factor applied, it appears too big.

So, the big question is this: how can I stop Outlook from rewriting the pixel values of the images in my signature when it scales them for display purposes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Increase read pane font size, but NOT image size? Using Outlook 3
O The linked image cannot be displayed Using Outlook 2
C "The linked image cannot be displayed. The file may have been moved, renamed, or deleted. Verify that the link points to the correct file location" Using Outlook 1
O How to prevent image resize when pasting Using Outlook 2
T The Linked Image Cannot Be Displayed in Outlook Using Outlook 7
P Can't paste an image into a task Using Outlook 3
D Reply with a template loose the sender's embedded image Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Y Images coming through as Cid:image in outlook Using Outlook 0
L Block email signature image Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Image Quality in Signatures Using Outlook 0
O How to move contacts folder image of a drive Using Outlook 1
Q Why can't I copy image with embedded hyperlink from email to Word Using Outlook 0
P Select image in contact notes field and save as jpg Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
crazyboy Copying BCM database from backed up mounted image to new drive BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
S Picture/Image/Attachment Resizing Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
oj43085 Prevent Outlook from blocking image from a single source Using Outlook 4
J Image in original e-mail is hyperlinked when a reply with the image is hyerplinked Exchange Server Administration 1
Maybear Sudden change in Outlook, no image display, email no longer offers suggestions for address Using Outlook 8
T Error opening mail with pictures - "The linked image cannot be displayed" Using Outlook 3
G Create rule based on image in email body Using Outlook 1
I How to add image header to email Using Outlook 2
E Outllook 2010 Header Image Using Outlook 3
R Add image within email and not attachment Using Outlook 2
B Need help adding an image next to the Month Name in the header. Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2k/2k3 Reply or Forward: Signature image replaced by original sender Using Outlook 3
A Vanishing signature image in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
M Save embedded image in native format Using Outlook 6
C Email image problems Using Outlook 6
A Unhandled exception: picture argument should be an image BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
P disable image compression Using Outlook 5
D Unable to resize image in email signature Using Outlook 4
K Adding Image to "new email window" in Office 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J Adding a background image to a mail item using automation Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
T Outlook: Get Image Content ID from existing email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
T Customize button image for separate Outlook forms region Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J Database Files to be Copied from Backup Image - No BCM Backup Data BCM (Business Contact Manager) 5
K Re: embeded image change Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
e_a_g_l_e_p_i I searched high and low for this answer in its most likely know but I thought I would be sure Using Outlook 24
Diane Poremsky Add High and Low Importance Commands Using Outlook 0
R Outlook 2010 Daily Calender need high detail Using Outlook 2