Random Chinese characters in email copied from a pst file. Exchange Server 2016 Public Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibrahim AY

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hi,

I have just setup a new Exchange Server 2016 on site for my client. There is a strange problem. They are using Public Folders.

I have a couple of PST files to import or copy to the public folder, I use Outlook 2016 for this. When the copying of a 10 GB PST file finishes I check the emails and most of them are containing just nonsense Chinese like characters. I wondered how the same emails looked in the PST file itself but they were fine there. After copying them to the Public folder their input changed to Chinese characters.

These PST files come from the earlier Exchange Server 2007 Public Folder.

I already tried the <add key="DisableDetectEncodingFromMetaTag" value="true" /> in the EdgeTransport.exe.config file but that didn't help. We have a couple of Transport Rule but no disclaimer rules.

Since there is not much of tech support on the internet for Exchange Server 2016, I was wondering if anyone else is facing the same problem and could give a clue on this.

Regards,

Ibrahim AY

TERACOM Computer

It sounds like a Unicode or character set issue - the character set the old messages use is not available on the new server.

I'm assuming the old pst is a unicode format? This can happen with messages converted from ansi to unicode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S.Champ Please help? I've imported a random workcalendar I dont even know who's. Can I undo it? and then I need to re-sync the google one again. Its a mess:( Using Outlook 2
L Wierd Office 365 Contact unable to edit body of random contacts Using Outlook 5
mikolajek Random message selected after hard delete Using Outlook 4
T Random problem in VBA macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
A Mysterious random appearance of empty unsent email Using Outlook 3
J outlook meeting request random people are deleted Using Outlook 2
M Being prompted for random credentials Using Outlook 23
A Help with random numbers in autocomplete emails Exchange Server Administration 3
I Outlook moving random messages from folders back to the inbox Using Outlook 1
C Random signature from text file Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
R Cannot read Chinese message after import Using Outlook 2
S vba outlook search string with special characters Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S VBA search string with special characters Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Forwarding emails issue with special characters replacing text body Using Outlook 1
Marc2019 Cannot input Vietnamese Characters on my MSOutlook 2016 in Windows 7 Using Outlook 0
B Instant search with special characters Using Outlook 1
wallisellener "The database name cannot exceed 50 characters" BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
M Outlook adds strange characters inserted into the Subject Line Using Outlook 2
A Removing illegal characters Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
H In Exchange 2010, how to block an email containing an attachment that has foreign characters Exchange Server Administration 1
Jon Flemibng Funny characters when printng email Using Outlook 3
J Swedish characters in Outlook folder names Using Outlook 0
B Line/Body width one or two characters Using Outlook 1
M Jolly characters in Outlook 2007 searching Using Outlook 3
L Different characters transfered from Yahoo to Outlook Using Outlook 0
C extra characters added to email when exporting Using Outlook 2
B Outlook contacts with Hotmail. - Error >>>The text exceeds the limit of 1024 characters. Type a shor Using Outlook 4
W Recipients of Outlook messages have characters/words missing in body of message Using Outlook 6
T Get rid of having to type verification characters to send mail BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
S Outlook 2007, UTF-8 & national characters Using Outlook 5
H Odd symbol when stripping characters using vba Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3