Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick van Berkel

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Hi,

I'm still somewhat of a novice in Macro's (especially when it comes to Outlook). Together with a team member I have been working on some Macro's to automate some steps in handling the emails. I am looking at the best way to 'distribute' these Macro's, but also try to make sure that they are kept up to date. I have created a form which depending on which user is opening the form will give a menu with some options. Even though I have though of a way to automatically update the VBAProject.ost file, the team members have indicated that they would prefer to have these in a ribbon instead. I have no ideal however, how to approach this :).

Any help is appreciated :)

Thanks in advance for your help. Kind regards,
Patrick

The best way to distribute macros is by converting them to a com addin. You can build a ribbon for them and install everything for them - they won't have to do anything more than click a button. The alternate option is to create a ribbon and export it then send that around. It's a bit more effort but easy enough for most people.

Hi Diane, thank you very much for your response. When you say 'build a ribbon' I guess this is in Visual Basic or something. I don't have that programme on my computer o_O. Would then only the second option remain?

Yeah, it would be in the Visual Studio - https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa942955.aspx Turning it into a com add-in requires VS too, so that is out.

I would customize your own ribbon and export it, otherwise everyone needs to create their own. To share the macros, you need to either export them or share them as text files an d add them to every body's computer.

Thanks again. That will do the trick. I think I can 'distribute' the code by overwriting there VbaProject.otm file on the users computers with the one that has the code in it.

Q: Can I force outlook to instead of starting on the home ribbon to start on my customized ribbon?

I think I can 'distribute' the code by overwriting there VbaProject.otm file on the users computers with the one that has the code in it.
You can but the user needs to open the VBA editor to enable it. That's mainly the reason it's better to use com addins, especially if you need to share it with a lot of people.

I believe you can use a macro to set the default tab but i don't have any code samples. You could try adjusting the tabs so the custom tab is ahead of home - that might do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R Best way to share outlook calendar with 10 laptops Using Outlook 9
cheapfaremart Which outlook version is best? Using Outlook 0
Horsepower What is best calendar practice for iMac Using Outlook 3
J What is the best EntryID format to set on MS Access table Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
B What is best IMAP .OST file to .PST file converter solutions? Using Outlook 1
P Best configuration for Outlook 2016, Gmail and iCloud Using Outlook 8
P Outlook room resource calendars and best practices Exchange Server Administration 0
Rupert Dragwater What is the best way to back up pst Using Outlook 4
Diane Poremsky The Best Outlook Store Add-ins Contest Using Outlook 0
oliv- Best practice for catching mailitem.events Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M What is the best way to find all records of an e-mail for our company? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J Best approach for restarting custom task form development after seemingly corrupt form environment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
X Best utility for repairing PST files? Using Outlook 3
S Best method to use Outlook Standalone with iPhone Using Outlook 13
D a suggestion ...sent with the best intentions Using Outlook 1
B What is the best way to use Outlook address book to select customer and then open Excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 22
M How best to track OUTGOING referrals? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
M best duplicate contact remover? Using Outlook 6
jobudge Reinstalled Outlook 2013 after system crash what is best way to synch with gmail? Using Outlook 1
M Best way to identify/designate contacts in incoming emails? Using Outlook 4
P Best way to locally backup/archive Gmail? Using Outlook 1
M Looking for options and best practices for an Edge Server (Exchange or not) Exchange Server Administration 0
O What are best practices for a re-install Office 13 w/BCM with OS re-install BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
G what is the best way to organize outlook contacts Using Outlook 1
D What would be the best strategy? Using Outlook 3
crazyboy BCM Installation Best Practices? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 5
J Best way to move form old to new, larger pst? Using Outlook 2
M Best way to move outlook? Using Outlook 1
B Best way to get a pick-list on a form? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Best way to distribute VBA project Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
E Where is the best place to store values for combobox entries Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
E Where is the best place to store values for combobox entries Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
T Is Explorer.FolderSwitch the best event for hiding commandbarbutton? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
M Outlook 2007 / Vista / Windows XP best combo needed BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
C Form Region, Task Pain, Ribbon Extension - which way is best? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
K How to share multiple calendar items Using Outlook 1
M Unable to share 2019 calendar Using Outlook 0
D How To Combine Share Task Folders in just one Folder Using Outlook 0
P Outlook 2013 Word Share doc as Email Attachment now brings up Eudora. Using Outlook 1
S automate save the .xlxs file to share Network Using Outlook 1
R Can't Send calendar share invite Using Outlook 5
G Unable to dismiss reminders from share point list calendar shared in Outlook Using Outlook 2
R Making Outlook default client in share charm Using Outlook 4
Miquela I need to make a calendar to share here at work with 40 other people Using Outlook 1
smokiibear Share Office 365 Tasks such that Other Users also Are Alerted with Reminder Using Outlook 1
T How to share Outlook SUBfolders Using Outlook 3
C Moving BCM Database to Server Share BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
J Share calendar but don't share categories Exchange Server Administration 1
D can you share a bcm database with 2 different versions of windows? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
L Can't share email folders Exchange Server Administration 1