Best way to identify/designate contacts in incoming emails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemcinnis

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Hi all,

I'm sure there's an easy answer I'm overlooking, but here is my situation:

1. My boss gets tons of emails every day. He flags these emails with different colors to let me know what should action should be taken regarding the sender, which primarily involves three tasks: A) add the sender to our Constant Contact list only, B) add the sender to his Outlook contacts only, or C) add to both Constant Contact and Outlook contacts.

So far so good. The problem is, a month later when he's going through new emails, he has no way of seeing AT-A-GLANCE (very important to him) which people have been added to which list, or even if any action has been taken at all. So instead of only flagging new senders for action, he's wasting a lot of time flagging people I've already handled.

I had a solution to this problem, which was to create small icon labels and upload them as each person's contact picture. That way, when a new incoming email arrives, he can quickly identify from the "business card" picture what actions have been taken. However, this process has proven extremely tedious and simply isn't viable for hundreds of new contacts.

To reduce this to simple questions:

1. Once I add someone as a contact, is there an at-a-glance way to know that they are a contact just by looking at their incoming emails?

2. Are there additional at-a-glance ways to indicate that an email sender is part of some particular group or subgroup?

I've done some homework before asking, so I'm aware that you can modify views and color code messages from certain contacts--but while these processes seem ideal for a handful of important contacts, they all seem unfit for hundreds or thousands of contacts. (Which leads me to think I'm probably overlooking something obvious...)

Any ideas? New to the forums so forgive me if I'm leaving out any key details...your collective genius is much appreciated!

1. No, not really. If you right click on their name in the preview pane or open message, it will say open contact if a contact exists.

The part you are overlooking is that you can categorize messages from people in contacts - using the same category for all. Use the 'sender is in specified address book' condition and select the contacts folder. if you have multiple contacts folders you'll need multiple rules, but it will apply to all addresses in the folder.

1. No, not really. If you right click on their name in the preview pane or open message, it will say open contact if a contact exists.

The part you are overlooking is that you can categorize messages from people in contacts - using the same category for all. Use the 'sender is in specified address book' condition and select the contacts folder. if you have multiple contacts folders you'll need multiple rules, but it will apply to all addresses in the folder.

There's a new version of Category Manager that can automatically categorize incoming emails by the category of its sender. If the contact is found in one of up to two contact folders, the contact's categories will be assigned to the email. Interesting for you is if the contact is not found, it can also assign a certain category. You can also manage a list of cateogries that will never be assigned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
cheapfaremart Which outlook version is best? Using Outlook 0
Horsepower What is best calendar practice for iMac Using Outlook 3
J What is the best EntryID format to set on MS Access table Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
B What is best IMAP .OST file to .PST file converter solutions? Using Outlook 1
P Best configuration for Outlook 2016, Gmail and iCloud Using Outlook 8
P Outlook room resource calendars and best practices Exchange Server Administration 0
Rupert Dragwater What is the best way to back up pst Using Outlook 4
Diane Poremsky The Best Outlook Store Add-ins Contest Using Outlook 0
Patrick van Berkel Best way to share (and keep up-to-date) Macro's in Outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
oliv- Best practice for catching mailitem.events Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M What is the best way to find all records of an e-mail for our company? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J Best approach for restarting custom task form development after seemingly corrupt form environment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
X Best utility for repairing PST files? Using Outlook 3
S Best method to use Outlook Standalone with iPhone Using Outlook 13
D a suggestion ...sent with the best intentions Using Outlook 1
B What is the best way to use Outlook address book to select customer and then open Excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 22
M How best to track OUTGOING referrals? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
M best duplicate contact remover? Using Outlook 6
jobudge Reinstalled Outlook 2013 after system crash what is best way to synch with gmail? Using Outlook 1
P Best way to locally backup/archive Gmail? Using Outlook 1
M Looking for options and best practices for an Edge Server (Exchange or not) Exchange Server Administration 0
O What are best practices for a re-install Office 13 w/BCM with OS re-install BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
G what is the best way to organize outlook contacts Using Outlook 1
D What would be the best strategy? Using Outlook 3
crazyboy BCM Installation Best Practices? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 5
J Best way to move form old to new, larger pst? Using Outlook 2
M Best way to move outlook? Using Outlook 1
R Best way to share outlook calendar with 10 laptops Using Outlook 9
B Best way to get a pick-list on a form? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Best way to distribute VBA project Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
E Where is the best place to store values for combobox entries Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
E Where is the best place to store values for combobox entries Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
T Is Explorer.FolderSwitch the best event for hiding commandbarbutton? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
M Outlook 2007 / Vista / Windows XP best combo needed BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
C Form Region, Task Pain, Ribbon Extension - which way is best? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
I Identify Number of email messages opened Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
S VBA to identify a specific email and copy the attachment from it to the network Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
makinmyway How can I easily identify and delete from my contacts defunct email addresses? Using Outlook 2
G How can I identify in VBA if the current window is an item or a folder? Using Outlook 3
S Identify weekend from daily RecurrencePattern Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S Identify Read Recepits Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
H Better way of writing Macro? Identify multiple types of attachmen Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
D How to identify a mail item from a public folder in MS Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
S Correct way to Identify is Mail is opened in Edit Mode Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1