Best way to locally backup/archive Gmail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkcouch

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Hello,
I have Outlook 2010 with an IMAP/Gmail account. I've had GMail for many years and it is approximately 4GB “in the cloud”. In my Send/Receive Groups, I have all of my GMail folders (except All Mail) setup to download headers only (Send/Receive Settings – All Accounts).
I was wondering about how to institute overall local backup/archival strategy as it relates to Send/Receive Groups. Or if this is even the correct approach? I am interested in preserving my email in a PST in the event that my Gmail in the cloud “goes away”. Would it be better to change the Send/Receive settings to ‘download complete items including attachments for subscribed folders’? Or is there a better/different way to do this with the Auto Archive or another feature?
[FONT=&quot]Thanks, Paul c.[/FONT]

You need to download full messages to use an IMAP data file as backup.

In Outlook 2010 and older, you can copy the imap pst file as a backup - the pst data file can be opened in any outlook profile. Messages without bodies will be in the data file, but outlook won't be able to get the body. This is generally easier than exporting the pst for backup, except export should get the full messages, if any are missing the bodies. Export can be filtered, so you could export weekly and change the filter to include only new messages.

As an FYI, Outlook 2013 uses an ost file for IMAP, so this trick no longer works - you'd need to export the folders to backup IMAP in Outlook 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
cheapfaremart Which outlook version is best? Using Outlook 0
Horsepower What is best calendar practice for iMac Using Outlook 3
J What is the best EntryID format to set on MS Access table Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
B What is best IMAP .OST file to .PST file converter solutions? Using Outlook 1
P Best configuration for Outlook 2016, Gmail and iCloud Using Outlook 8
P Outlook room resource calendars and best practices Exchange Server Administration 0
Rupert Dragwater What is the best way to back up pst Using Outlook 4
Diane Poremsky The Best Outlook Store Add-ins Contest Using Outlook 0
Patrick van Berkel Best way to share (and keep up-to-date) Macro's in Outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
oliv- Best practice for catching mailitem.events Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M What is the best way to find all records of an e-mail for our company? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J Best approach for restarting custom task form development after seemingly corrupt form environment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
X Best utility for repairing PST files? Using Outlook 3
S Best method to use Outlook Standalone with iPhone Using Outlook 13
D a suggestion ...sent with the best intentions Using Outlook 1
B What is the best way to use Outlook address book to select customer and then open Excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 22
M How best to track OUTGOING referrals? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
M best duplicate contact remover? Using Outlook 6
jobudge Reinstalled Outlook 2013 after system crash what is best way to synch with gmail? Using Outlook 1
M Best way to identify/designate contacts in incoming emails? Using Outlook 4
M Looking for options and best practices for an Edge Server (Exchange or not) Exchange Server Administration 0
O What are best practices for a re-install Office 13 w/BCM with OS re-install BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
G what is the best way to organize outlook contacts Using Outlook 1
D What would be the best strategy? Using Outlook 3
crazyboy BCM Installation Best Practices? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 5
J Best way to move form old to new, larger pst? Using Outlook 2
M Best way to move outlook? Using Outlook 1
R Best way to share outlook calendar with 10 laptops Using Outlook 9
B Best way to get a pick-list on a form? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Best way to distribute VBA project Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
E Where is the best place to store values for combobox entries Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
E Where is the best place to store values for combobox entries Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
T Is Explorer.FolderSwitch the best event for hiding commandbarbutton? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
M Outlook 2007 / Vista / Windows XP best combo needed BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
C Form Region, Task Pain, Ribbon Extension - which way is best? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J what file contains contacts, tasks and appointments stored locally? Using Outlook 1
F Using Outlook 2007 as an IMAP Mail Station Without Saving Data Locally Using Outlook 2
P Complete destroy all locally stored iCloud and Outlook data Using Outlook 2
Y Emails downloaded locally, and removed from server Using Outlook 2
J Saving Incoming & Outgoing Outlook 2010 Email Locally with IMAP Using Outlook 2
M Synchronization and backup of Outlook from local to server. Using Outlook 8
Hornblower409 Automatically or Manually Backup Multiple Versions of VbaProject.OTM Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
L Recommendations for Utility to Backup Outlook 365 Account Settings Using Outlook 2
L Restoring Outlook from backup pst file Using Outlook 5
V Backup Calendar, Contacts, Tasks in an POP3 data file Using Outlook 3
D a general question re how backup programs handle pst files ... I have no problems, just curious Using Outlook 1
V IMAP backup Using Outlook 0
A Backup Email Accounts On OutLook For Mac 2016 (Microsoft 365 subscription version) Using Outlook 0
L Restoring Outlook from backup of OST Using Outlook 5
T Need to backup outlook.com to cloud storage, without desktop software - Testing UpSafe. Are there any similar services? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 8