Bullets Being Changed to Rectangles

Status
Not open for further replies.

srmsrm

Outlook version
Outlook 365 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I recently updated to Office 2016 from 2010. In both Word and Outlook, my bullets are not displaying correctly. They are showing up as rectangles. I did not change any of my fonts, add fonts, edit fonts, etc. All I did was upgrade. The bullet is using the Symbol font which I'm assuming just like it did in 2010.

3.jpg

In other programs such as WordPerfect, Google Docs, etc. the bullet is appearing with no issues. When I pasted the list in this email, it works OK.
  • Test
  • Test
  • Test
I do not know what other programs are using for the bullets, but it seems I only have the issue in Word/Outlook. I tried PowerPoint and the bullets look OK.

Also, when I receive emails, the bullets are also show up as rectangles not just when I create an email /document.

I have the latest version as I just checked for updates.

I have not tried a repair since when I tried to repair Office 2016 (had some initial issues) previously, it did not repaired it. I saw the dialog noting being repaired, etc., but when it was done Office 2016 was removed.

I created a new bullet using Calibri which seems to work when sending emails. Is that OK or should I use Arial which is installed on Windows? I'm not sure if all computers would have Calibri.

Not sure if this will work for emails received that use Symbol for the bullet.

I'm not sure why Symbol isn't working - it should. Arial might be better, but it really depends on who you correspond with. If they all use windows, it shouldn't be a problem.

Were you using a custom template? The default is symbol and it is working here (which was a clean install of Office 2013 or 2016).

Thanks for your help.

No templates. As a test, I deleted all my bullets from Word library. It seems Outlook uses the same library. I then recreated the Symbol bullet in Word and below is what I saw in Word and Outlook. I did some searches and others also seems to be having the same issue with the bullet not appearing correctly.

Note the rectangles

WORD
1.jpg

OUTLOOK
2.jpg

Consensus seems to be that the font is somehow damaged. What OS are you using? It seems to be a bigger issues with win 7/8, not 10.

The list data is apparently stored at %appdata%\microsoft\word, in a file called listgal.dat. if the font is damaged, it won't help to delete that though.

Diane

Thank you. I am using Windows 10 (all updates).

Not sure how I can fix the font.

Diane, I think I got it fixed based on your feedback.

I have W10.

I copied all Symbol fonts to my desktop. I then tried to delete all Symbol fonts and Windows complained I could not since it was a system font. I then reinstalled all Symbol fonts replacing any current fonts and now it seems to work. Even older emails that were showing squares now show the correct bullet.

Thank you again.

Shawn

cool. I was going to tell you that you could try replacing them, but that i didn't expect it would help since you are using windows 10. I like being proven wrong. :)

Diane,

Hope you are well.

Unfortunately the issue came back again. I made no changes other than running updates on Office 2016. I tried the idea about reinstalling the fonts, but that did not work.

Shawn

which version are you using now? (Current, insider, etc) and the build #? It's in File, office accounts

Thanks. I'll see if i can repro and see if support has any information.

Diane:

I have read multiple people having the same issue. I cannot find any fix that resolves the bullet issue (I think I tried all of them). Have you heard of any update?

Shawn

I have not heard anything. Sorry. If you have the insider build installed, use the File, support option to report it as a bug.

Thank you. I do not have the installer build. I appreciate you getting back with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
B Outlook 365 Files Being Created with Logging OFF Using Outlook 0
D Gmail mail is being delivered to a different email inbox in Outlook App 2021 Using Outlook 2
F Outlook 2016 Email with attachments not being received Using Outlook 2
L Emails being archived when I press the A key accidentally - how do I stop this? Using Outlook 0
K Multiple copies of task being created Using Outlook 2
F Email being marked as Spam by Gmail and not being visible in Outlook Using Outlook 5
C Outlook 2016/2019 hangs after being open for an extended period Using Outlook 4
GregS 2016 Contact List being managed by Outlook.com? Using Outlook 1
B Outlook - Mail from safe senders list being sent to Spam Folder Using Outlook 0
L Ignore hyperlink from being flagged as false pattern Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
P Reminders Window stops being displayed, even with /resetfolders or /cleanreminders Using Outlook 8
A Replies being sent from wrong account Using Outlook 8
N Tracking Mail items being moved to folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
T Compacting Outlook 2010 OST results in old emails being re-sent Using Outlook 6
M Emails being sent to Inbox and IPM_Subtree Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 4
Diane Poremsky Help! My Contacts are being updated! Using Outlook 0
M Upgrade in Progress. Your mailbox is currently being optimized as part of upgrade to Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 9
B Saved emails in folders I created on left of screen are being erased as I open each folder Using Outlook 0
P Threat to being a spammer while sending automatic Emails through VBA Using Outlook 3
B Outlook being closed causing problems during copy to Excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
H Preventing the Send button from being clicked on an Outlook Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Calendar items are not being uploaded to outlook.com after copying Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
R Mailto link inside Outlook 2010 being cached? Using Outlook 1
T Sending One Email to Trigger Another Being Sent Using an Email within the 1st? Using Outlook 0
S categories are being cut off after selecting from category pop up form Using Outlook 3
L Outlook underlining all text after being sent to recipient Using Outlook 3
J How to Stop OutLook from being Installed Using Outlook 1
B Replied to messages are being deleted Using Outlook 1
R BCM lead form layout field names not being displayed Using Outlook 0
K Prevent meeting requests being sent from a shared calendar in a group mailbox Using Outlook 1
P VBA Code being completely ignored by Outlook Using Outlook 7
Terry Sullivan Android Phone E-Mails Not Disappearing After Being Deleted in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 5
P Default "From" field for any message being answered to in pub folder Using Outlook 1
M Being prompted for random credentials Using Outlook 23
N contacts reappearing after being deleted Using Outlook 4
D I hope someone can help... I'm being sabotaged! Using Outlook 2
B Permissions - Outlook Public Folders Are Being Deleted Using Outlook 1
S Meeting Requests - ex-employee being invite, but not in recipient list Exchange Server Administration 3
E Sent Emails not being saved Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
V Wrong Address List being used (or Resolved by ALT + K) Using Outlook 1
M Mail being delivered directly to deleted items folder.... Using Outlook 4
G Small Businesses Owners being priced out of BCM 2010 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
P How to know Outlook is being started in Offline mode? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
E After resizing Custom Task Pane "BeforeFolderSwitch" Event handler stopps being called Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
E After resizing Custom Task Pane "BeforeFolderSwitch" Event handler stopps being called Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
M Outlook 2007 with BCM - Tasks being created automatically BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
L contents of BCM Contact groups not being displayed BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
J HTML Appointment Requests are being converted to Text Using Outlook 3
M Emails being automatically deleted from Inbox Using Outlook 12
T Multiple Toolbars being added/Multiple Buttons being added to Mail Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5