Original email text not shown when replying or forwarding the email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevor

Outlook version
Outlook on the web
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
Hello,
can you please advise me what I'm doing wrong? Up until a week ago I'd had no problem when using Outlook to reply or forward an email.

When composing the forwarded / reply email, the original email text was there to refer back to if need be, now the original text isn't visible. Additionally, attachments in the original email do not get forwarded.
Once sent, sometimes the original email text isn't forwarded either so I end up sending a blank email to the recipient(s). So I never know if I'm sending a blank email or a forwarded email text.

Interestingly, when using my account on Android on my phone, I do see the the original message text.

PLEASE NOTE: The version of Outlook is one I enter via Outlook - the platform is a Home PC desktop using Windows 10.

As I say, this was all working fine until about 7-10 days ago (that is, I was able to see the email text that I wished to forward).

Any advise / help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I've seen a few people with this complaint and can't reproduce it.

Are you using Conversation view or single messages? Click the gear icon - both should be on the quick settings panel. In Conversation view, there should be 3 dots in the lower left of the message window or double arrow in the upper right to expand the message.

If you enable conversation view, does it work?

Did you try logging in using a private browser? To open a private browser window, right-click on the browser icon on the taskbar and choose the option for a new private or incognito window.

Which browser are you using?

I've seen a few people with this complaint and can't reproduce it.

Are you using Conversation view or single messages? Click the gear icon - both should be on the quick settings panel. In Conversation view, there should be 3 dots in the lower left of the message window or double arrow in the upper right to expand the message.

If you enable conversation view, does it work?

Did you try logging in using a private browser? To open a private browser window, right-click on the browser icon on the taskbar and choose the option for a new private or incognito window.

Which browser are you using?
Hi Diane, thank you for your quick reply.
Conversation view, yes it works if enabled for REPLIES. As you know, you have two options, either Newest (message) on top Or Newest on bottom.

Both appear to work.

FORWARDING an email is still a problem no matter what conversation view is in use. Interestingly, two tabs appear at the bottom of the screen on the task bar. One tab is entitled the original message title and the second tab is called FW: original message title (whatever that was). So the latter is the Forwarded email tab.
Clicking on the first tab simply shows the original email. Clicking on the second appears to have no effect.

I did not knowingly change the conversation view to off, I normally have no reason to change settings.

I use Chrome as a browser. I did try an incognito window with the conversation view set off and that had no affect.
I also use Microsoft Edge as an occasional browser, using Outlook the problem seems to be the same when Forwarding emails.

One other thing. Very recently I've received a top line message which states
"your browser supports setting Outlook.com as the default email handler" Try it now Ask again later Don't show again.

Clicking on those settings seemed to have no affect at all (i.e. Try it Now etc), they kept reappearing. I did look into my windows settings at Outlook is my default email provider.

Thank you Diane for your help.

"your browser supports setting Outlook.com as the default email handler" Try it now Ask again later Don't show again.
Microsoft has a bad history with 'don't show again' in the browser - but at least for this one, it I staying away for me. Are you clearing cookies or using ccleaner? it could prevent the 'don't show' option from sticking.

I don't use ccleaner. I could clear cookies if you like although that will cause me issues on at least one web site as their cookie will be deleted and then I have to go through a check to prove it's me (and my PC).

No, don't clear cookies. Was just wondering if that was why the dialog wasn't staying away.

No, don't clear cookies. Was just wondering if that was why the dialog wasn't staying away.
Thanks, I won't. The fact that replies work with the original email text now is very useful, thank you.

Usually in a similar situation, I would delete cookies files

Another thing to keep in mind when it comes to finding list of company email addresses is that there are almost always expenses associated. A online service provider - http://getprospect.com/email-finder/bulk-email-finder that provides free accounts for acquiring this type of information might help you save money. Therefore, neither the data nor the service will cost you anything. This is a win-win situation. If you decide to upgrade your account in the future, several of these free providers may charge you a modest price. However, it is definitely worth the investment to save money on a wide range of services.

Status
Not open for further replies.