Email Generated from another program and then edited sends original email.

Susan G

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
When an email is generated from the Accounting program and opens in Outlook, the message is very generic and we want to edit the text in it to be more specific to the client and the circumstances.

We used to be able to just edit the email that opened make the changes and send. But now, when we do that, the email that sends is the original generated email. I can change recipients and those stick, but edits to the email don't. The only way I can get the edits to stick is to save the email to drafts. Close the email and then send after re-opening.

Office 365, current channel - I've reverted back to a March update with no success. I'm going to try reverting Office back further, but was looking for additional ideas for troubleshooting.

Thanks
Susan G

Susan G

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
What type of email account do you have configured in Outlook? POP, IMAP, Outlook.com, or Microsoft Exchange?

If you hit Save before sending, do the edits stick?
The account is an Exchange online account set up as an Exchange account. Hitting Save doesn't make the edits stick. Saving as a draft and closing, you can open the draft (which doesn't have the edits saved) and make edits and those edits will finally send.

Additionally switching to RTF (from the original HTML) format will send the edits. You can also switch to RTF and then back to HTML and the edits send.

Changes to the To: , CC:, and Subject: lines all stick. It's just the body of the message that doesn't save edits.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C replace subject line generated by converting a word document to PDF and sending it to an email Using Outlook 8
G Applying rules to email generated from MS Access by VBA Using Outlook 6
M How to setup outlook after importing old account information - Entering email account info creates with "(1)" after the account! Using Outlook 1
K Multiple Rules on Single Email Using Outlook 2
F VBA to move email from Non Default folder to Sub folders as per details given in excel file Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2010 How to set default email address for website links Using Outlook 3
O Same email address, same person, names in so many ways Using Outlook 4
D Create new email from the received Email Body with attachment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
D Outlook launch email showing new unread email in reading pane Using Outlook 11
B Zoom automatically next email item (VBA) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
K Outlook adds space to rows in HTML email signatures viewed on mobile Using Outlook 1
M HTML email signature in Outlook Using Outlook 1
M Respond to Outlook Email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
U Outlook locking up when replying to Email Using Outlook 7
G Forward email body to other mail list directly from Exchange server Exchange Server Administration 1
S Unable to extract text from an Outlook email message Using Outlook 2
T Original email text not shown when replying or forwarding the email. Using Outlook 6
H Search Email Header for Content Type Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A VBA Script - Print Date between first email in Category X and last email in Category Y Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
R Problem moving file “Email folders.pst” to new PC Using Outlook 5
P Sending email from outlook IMAP to GMAIL where embedded images are added as attachment Using Outlook 1
D auto forward base on email address in body email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P How did hacker cause link to delete and archive containing email? Using Outlook 6
I 'quote marks' around email name Using Outlook 1
N contact list seen in Contact folder but knot in Address book or when 'TO' button is clicked in new email Using Outlook 0
T Junk Email does not get added to the Blocked Sender List Using Outlook 0
P i-Phone 6s Plus receiving 2 notifications from Outlook email Using Outlook 1
C WARNING - DO NOT USE AN OUTLOOK.COM ADDRESS FOR GOOGLE ACCOUNT RECOVERY EMAIL Using Outlook 10
T Why is every new email pinned (to keep it on top)? Windows 10 Using Outlook 6
M Outlook, send to > mail recipient - results in plain text email Using Outlook 1
P Can I create a Rule that sends me an email when I get a Task? Using Outlook 3
M Issue transferring Outlook 2016 email accounts & settings onto new computer Using Outlook 8
R Auto Assign Category colours to Incoming Emails based on whom the email is addressed Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
S Outlook email to configure setup for each mail Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Macro to extract email addresses of recipients in current drafted email and put into clipboard Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A Is there an ID field you can use to pair a reply to the sent email? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
C Auto Run VBA Code on new email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M How create a Rule to filter sender's email with more that one @ sign Using Outlook 1
A Prepending Email Addrs with "Display Name <email>" Has Stopped Working Using Outlook 0
Bering Forward selected email without the original email appended Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Aussie Rules Run a Script on an Incoming Email OK and then the Email reverts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
W Reply to email Using Outlook 4
F Junk Email does not get added to the Blocked Sender List Using Outlook 4
B disappearing original when attach to email Using Outlook 1
W September 2020 - No Default Email Client message after Office Update Using Outlook 1
glnz O365 - How to combine the Inboxes for four email accounts into a single Inbox Using Outlook 7
glnz O365 - How to send from acct 2 but showing email name from acct 1 as From - alias? Using Outlook 0
S Macro to move “Re:” & “FWD:” email recieved the shared inbox to a subfolder in outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
D Move Email with Attachment to Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
E Asking user to select multiple options in a list in an email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0