Are newer versions of Outlook still "less secure" to Google?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commodore

Outlook version
Outlook 2021 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I read somewhere that Google is about to cancel their "less secure access", which I had to use to reach Gmail in Outlook 2013. Is Outlook 2021 still considered "less secure" in this regard?

One thing I did notice when adding Gmail and Outlook.com to Outlook 2021 was that they had a different kind of setup and login as opposed to "regular" IMAP account setup...

Outlook is still considered less secure - but Google is requiring two step verification on all accounts, so it doesn't really matter. They started forcing users to it last fall.

when adding Gmail and Outlook.com to Outlook 2021 was that they had a different kind of setup and login as opposed to "regular" IMAP account setup...
It's a different interface but it's mostly eye candy. :) Outlook.com should be added as a Microsoft account by default, not IMAP - its a better experience - and gmail will bring up a new log in screen if let auto account setup add it as IMAP. (POP uses the old sign in dialog.)

Yes, there was a sort of 2FA - an embedded web view of that screen where you approve "3rd party apps" or something. But will still it work afterwards (I guess I can try it now by disabling "less secure access")?

Better experience... well it usurped the default data file without any prompt, which resulted later on in syncing my iPhone to outlook.com. Lessons learned. :)

Yes, there was a sort of 2FA - an embedded web view of that screen where you approve "3rd party apps" or something. But will still it work afterwards (I guess I can try it now by disabling "less secure access")?
As far as I know, you either need 2FA or allow less secure - you can't disable less secure app and connect to Outlook.

I have Outlook 2019, using POP3 access to Gmail. They are going to require "secure access" by 30 May, and Google specifically mentions that Outlook 2019 and Offcie 365 are "secure" when properly configured. There are no shortage of bits and pieces of information, but each assumes a lot of other background knowlege. Is there a "Switching from Insecure to Secure Access for Outlook 2019 POP3 for Dummies" around? I suspect it is straightforward with the right recipe.

I also got the email from Google saying my Outlook 2010 will not work as of May 2022, the email said the following

On May 30, you may lose access to apps that are using less secure sign-in technology​

To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password. Instead, you’ll need to sign in using Sign in with Google or other more secure technologies, like OAuth 2.0. Learn more

What do you need to do?

Email software, like Outlook 2016 or earlier,
has less secure access to your Gmail. Switch to Office 365, Outlook 2019 or newer, or any other email software where you can sign in using Sign in with Google.

So I assume Google is saying Outlook 2019 which is what I bought last night is able to sign in with Google?

Outlook 2021 (and according to the notice, the same goes for 2019 and 365) does indeed work without "Less secure app access". I turned it off today, and I can still access Gmail.

At first I thought it wouldn't work (because I got the same Google login prompt when opening Gmail data structure in Outlook, after turning the "less secure" off), but then I realized it only happened because I had also removed one of the "Windows" devices from "Your devices" on Google account management.

To sum it up:
-less secure app access can be off
-Outlook appears as one of the Windows devices under the list of devices on Google account management (under details / "browsers you're signed in on" it's listed as "Internet Explorer")
-it also appears under "Third-party apps with account access" as "Microsoft apps & services"

I suppose if you add it as a regular IMAP or POP account, it still needs to be "less secure"...

You should be able to use outlook 2010 if you enable 2 step authentication and use an app password since it won't ask for the 2nd factor.

I have Outlook 2019, using POP3 access to Gmail. They are going to require "secure access" by 30 May, and Google specifically mentions that Outlook 2019 and Offcie 365 are "secure" when properly configured. There are no shortage of bits and pieces of information, but each assumes a lot of other background knowlege. Is there a "Switching from Insecure to Secure Access for Outlook 2019 POP3 for Dummies" around? I suspect it is straightforward with the right recipe.
I don't think with will work with pop, only imap. Unless Microsoft releases an update to enable it.

I decided to go with Office 2021 Home and business 64 bit I hope this version will work with Google Gmail. If it doesn't I iwll have to do whatever to get by.

It should work with gmail IMAP, with or without 2FA enabled - but in my test last night, POP will need 2FA and an app password.

How will the 2FA and an app password work and look in Outlook 2021? Also on a different note is Outlook 2021 the same as 365 just without the subscription?

Tested this as well in Outlook 2021 because of that sudden announcement by Gmail not supporting less secure apps. I can confirm that Gmail IMAP will work on Outlook 2021 even without 2FA. POP will only work if you use Gmail 2FA + app password.

My Outlook is POP becasue I only access email from my desktop. Is it possible to convert POP to IMAP ?

If I changed to IMAP would I lose all my data or can the .pst be used?

My Outlook is POP becasue I only access email from my desktop. Is it possible to convert POP to IMAP ?

If I changed to IMAP would I lose all my data or can the .pst be used?

I am in similar situation. I only check mail from my laptop.
I am using Outlook 2016 and have used POP for a very very long time.

The email I got from google didn't seem clear to me and implied I needed to upgrade to Outlook 2019.

I'd much rather stick with Outlook 2016 turn off "less secure" access, then enable 2FA and an app password and move on...

If that is truly an option...

well, i think my outlook is 2007, certainly pop. am i out of luck, or is there a workaround?

You should be able to use outlook 2010 if you enable 2 step authentication and use an app password since it won't ask for the 2nd factor.
I bought a new version of Office 2021 that that should take care of part of this Google login stuff. In my case I do not login anywhere other than my desltop computer when checking emails. I have my Outlook setup to check often and the last thing I want or need to do is get a text with a code every time Outlook access's gmail.

Will we be able to turn off the 2 step authentication? will POP be an issue with this new process with gmail?

I bought a new version of Office 2021 that that should take care of part of this Google login stuff. In my case I do not login anywhere other than my desltop computer when checking emails. I have my Outlook setup to check often and the last thing I want or need to do is get a text with a code every time Outlook access's gmail.

Will we be able to turn off the 2 step authentication? will POP be an issue with this new process with gmail?

"Stupid" question time is "2 step authentication" the same as: 2FA aka 2 factor authentication ?
I.E. two names for the same feature or are they actually two different things?

"Stupid" question time is "2 step authentication" the same as: 2FA aka 2 factor authentication ?
I.E. two names for the same feature or are they actually two different things?
I believe that 2FA is the app that is needed for the 2 step authentication. If you Goofle 2FA there is a lot of imfo about it that I don't understand as of yet.

Outlook is still considered less secure - but Google is requiring two step verification on all accounts, so it doesn't really matter. They started forcing users to it last fall.

It's a different interface but it's mostly eye candy. :) Outlook.com should be added as a Microsoft account by default, not IMAP - its a better experience - and gmail will bring up a new log in screen if let auto account setup add it as IMAP. (POP uses the old sign in dialog.)
NB Developer is one of the best real-estate development Companies In Ahmedabad.

Status
Not open for further replies.