Outlook doesn't feel reliable, anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cara

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I'm visiting this forum a lot (for me) lately, because I'm having a lot of issues "trusting" Outlook. I have a MS365 subscription, and use Microsoft® Outlook® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2212 Build 16.0.15928.20196) 64-bit. I use VBA quite a bit. I have a large number of email accounts, and all are accessed as IMAP accounts.

In the past, I had issues with being required to re-enter passwords for my accounts every ... well, I don't know what interval, but it was more than I liked, and I didn't know why I was being asked to re-enter them at all.

Now, I'm having issues apparently NOT seeing all of my email messages. Since deleting and recreating some of my GMail accounts (because of the aforementioned password issue), I noticed that some of my GMail accounts show me messages in both the Inbox and "All Mail" folders (as I expect, because those messages exist in both those folders), but that other GMail accounts were showing me only one of the two messages.

Today, I'm using the advanced search that I use constantly. It should show me any messages received within the last 24 hours, whether they're in Inbox or All Mail. For one of my GMail accounts, there's a message I knew I'd received in that timeframe, and the search wasn't showing it at all! I went to the Inbox of the specific account, and the message is there, so it should be showing. My view does NOT have any additional filters on it.

This is the search criteria: (folder:Inbox OR folder:(All Mail)) received:(>=1/12/2023 8:51:05 PM)
and this search has worked for a very long time.

I don't trust Outlook, anymore (and I've used it for decades).

If I want to uninstall and reinstall - is there a way to do that without losing all of my account setups and custom views?

There seem to be a number of search issues in Outlook the last few weeks. My first suggestion would be to rebuild the index.

>>
I had issues with being required to re-enter passwords for my accounts every ... well, I don't know what interval, but it was more than I liked, and I didn't know why I was being asked to re-enter them at all.
<<
Was outlook working offline? When you go back online, you'll often be asked for passwords again.

Are you using 2-factor verification? They are usually better about not needing the password reentered,

@Diane, thanks for the suggestions. I'll rebuild my index and see if that helps.

Outlook was not offline. I am not using 2FA. I'm curious why not using that would make it prompt me for a password if my password is unchanged?

Outlook was not offline. I am not using 2FA. I'm curious why not using that would make it prompt me for a password if my password is unchanged?
It's mostly when switching back and forth between online and offline - because the password is stored in a different registry key.

If you access mail from 2 or more computers and use POP on at least one, the password dialog may come up if 2 computers try to check mail at the same time.

If there is a problem with the internet connection, the password dialog will come up more often too.

It's mostly when switching back and forth between online and offline - because the password is stored in a different registry key.

If you access mail from 2 or more computers and use POP on at least one, the password dialog may come up if 2 computers try to check mail at the same time.

If there is a problem with the internet connection, the password dialog will come up more often too.

I never go offline, so that should not be a problem. I never access via POP, so that should not be a problem. I don't believe I was having a problem with my internet connection when the password prompts reoccurred, so I really don't know why my Outlook is so troublesome.

As for the search results not being accurate - I started an index rebuild about 4 days ago, and there are still 8500 items yet to be indexed. So now my search results are showing nothing.

I seriously want to know if I'm the only one experiencing these reliability issues, with Outlook. I just seems to get worse every year.

I never go offline, so that should not be a problem. I never access via POP, so that should not be a problem. I don't believe I was having a problem with my internet connection when the password prompts reoccurred, so I really don't know why my Outlook is so troublesome.

As for the search results not being accurate - I started an index rebuild about 4 days ago, and there are still 8500 items yet to be indexed. So now my search results are showing nothing.

I seriously want to know if I'm the only one experiencing these reliability issues, with Outlook. I just seems to get worse every year.
Yeah em having a same issue with Outlook and you are also right by saying that is is getting worse every year or after some days its getting more problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.