Outlook 2010 Contact Activities

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbendett

After upgrading to Outlook 2010 the contact activities list shows only e-mail no matter what is selected in the Show: dialog box. This showed all linked activities in 2007. Is there a setting I am missing?

After upgrading to Outlook 2010 the contact activities list shows only e-mail no matter what is selected in the Show: dialog box. This showed all linked activities in 2007. Is there a setting I am missing?

How did you upgrade? If you used Import/Export to move the data to a new pst, you broke the linking. You should open the old pst in Outlook.

Also note, Journal Activities are broken - anything in the journal won't be listed in Activities.

Office 2007 including Outlook was installed and used on computer. Installed Office 2010 including Outlook. After installation began using Outlook 2010.

If you are using the same profile and pst and didn't import, you should have most things listed in Activities. Except Journal - I know that is broken as i filled a bug report on it. (Closed: will not fix.) Some things aren't listed in All Items - you need to select the individual item types to see them.

Some things aren't listed in All Items - you need to select the individual item types to see them.

Actually, it looks like only mailed items are in all items. I don't recall if this is a change from when i filed the bug report.

All items: only mailed items

Journal: Broken completely

Notes: works

Contacts: Works

Tasks: only sent task requests are found (in All items)

Meetings: only ones in sent folder (in all items)

Email: email only.

I tried making a new appointment and linking it to contact which did not show up in activities list for contact. Hope it will be fixed to work as 2007 in a fix or service pack. Thanks for the replies.

If its fixed, it will either be in SP1 or a pre-SP1 update. I'm not holding my breath though - they told me the journal part won't be fixed at all. Because they also removed the ability to set folders for Activities I'm not expecting Activities to be fixed unless there is an uproar from the "real world" when Outlook 2010 is released.

It's not quite the same, but the People Pane replaces some of the features in Activities - this will probably be the future of "activity" searching. This is the pane on a contact: http://slipstick.me/jing/peoplepane.png

Enabled Microsoft Outlook Social Connector and now have the the People Pane visible but it still does not show any of the linked calendar or tasks for the contact which is what I am looking for.

Is your mailbox indexed? The first time you use it, it can be slow. But if its still not working after a couple of hours, something else is wrong.

I understand that Journal is removed due to 'low usage', but is there a way to import my 8 years work in Outlook 2010 so I can track contact history?

I understand that Journal is removed due to 'low usage', but is there a way to import my 8 years work in Outlook 2010 so I can track contact history?

It wasn't really removed (yet - it might be in the next version) but Activities aren't working as expected. If you can't use the old pst that holds the journaled items, open it in Outlook and MOVE the items to the new journal folder (use Folder list - Ctrl+6 - to see the journal folder).

Set a list view on the journal, select all (Ctrl+A) then use move to folder command and select the new journal folder.

It wasn't really removed (yet - it might be in the next version) but Activities aren't working as expected. If you can't use the old pst that holds the journaled items, open it in Outlook and MOVE the items to the new journal folder (use Folder list - Ctrl+6 - to see the journal folder).

Set a list view on the journal, select all (Ctrl+A) then use move to folder command and select the new journal folder.

Thanks Diane. I'll give it a shot and come back to you with results. But, tell me please, will this allow me somehow to view journal entries inside each contact form?

Thanks Diane. I'll give it a shot and come back to you with results. But, tell me please, will this allow me somehow to view journal entries inside each contact form?

No, that is broken right now. I've been forwarding user comments about it and *I think* they are going to fix it in some manner. Either fix activities or or add all journal and other outlook items to the people pane. Or both. They now understand that while a minority use the journal, its a very passionate group (for lack of a better term).

Has the activities journal link been fixed? I can only link emails in 2010, not tasks, appointments or journals.

no, it has not been fixed and it's my understanding its probably not going to be fixed. If its important to you, you need to open a support incident with microsoft so they can log the number of requests for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.