Outlook.pst problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordfan

Outlook version
Email Account
IMAP
Yesterday my hard drive started going south on me so I replaced and re-installed win 7 64 bit. I also re-installed Outlook 2007. All went fine smoothly until the next series of events.

The newly created pst file I moved to another folder and just copied the original pst in its place. I think that in itself was ok but I changed my mind undid everything. I wanted to just import everything in instead. Now I have the default pst file and another personal folder pointing to the where the original pst is. I have my contacts from the old pst but I just want one personal file with all my contacts. Can I go to file/data files and remove the one from the old drive, then do an import? Or is there another solution?

I hope the above is somewhat clear?

Thanks

You should be able to just remove the other data file and then import it into Outlook, this way you will have everything in one active .pst file.

You should be able to just remove the other data file and then import it into Outlook, this way you will have everything in one active .pst file.

I need to disengage the other data file first. When attempting to import I get the message that the data file is already in use.

If the pst is already in outlook, you can drag or use Move to folder command to move the items. It's better than using import as the modified dates won't be changed. If you have messages or other items organized in subfolders, drag the subfolder folder to the other pst file - everything in it, including any subfolders within the folder, will move. In the inbox and other default folders, use a list view, select all and drag or use the move to folder command.

The newly created pst file I moved to another folder and just copied the original pst in its place. I think that in itself was ok but I changed my mind undid everything. I wanted to just import everything in instead. Now I have the default pst file and another personal folder pointing to the where the original pst is. I have my contacts from the old pst but I just want one personal file with all my contacts. Can I go to file/data files and remove the one from the old drive, then do an import? Or is there another solution?

The bolded part is where you went wrong - that will corrupt profiles (it used to work in older versions but fails now). At this point i would ignore my earlier advice and make a new profile - close Outlook, go into Control panel, Mail and make a new profile than add the old pst to the profile and set it as default *before* you open the profile in outlook.

If you need help making a new profile, see http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/how-to-create-a-new-profile/ for step by step instructions.

Thanks Diane. I figured it was that move was not the right move. I made one last import attempt and all seems to be working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
G problem loading Outlook 2007 pst file onto windows 7 Using Outlook 1
K Moved pst to new computer, now Gmail not coming into Outlook Using Outlook 7
D Outlook app 2021 & iCloud PST issues Using Outlook 2
L Restoring Outlook from backup pst file Using Outlook 5
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Kernel Outlook .pst viewer Using Outlook 3
G Outlook Express (DBX) to Outlook (PST) Conversion Software Wanted Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2003 .pst Will Not Restore Completely to Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 5
J SCANPST errors Outlook PST repair? Using Outlook 1
M Convertor for Outlook Express Mail Store (.dbx) to Outlook Mail Store (.pst) Using Outlook 0
J Outlook 2019 i dont want to buy the snake oil ost to pst programs Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2016 Unable to load Outlook data pst file Using Outlook 5
J outlook 2007 doesn't let me choose which .pst to search Using Outlook 2
P Outlook pst file is too huge with POP3. How to save more space? Using Outlook 4
I Outlook 365 - import/attach PST file that used POP3 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
HarvMan Outlook 365 PST Report Using Outlook 1
David in Mississippi New (Feb 2020) install of Outlook 365 - Cannot specify PST for different accounts Using Outlook 0
M PST import from Outlook 2007 to 2010 - Address Book contacts all in 1 group Using Outlook 4
J Export Zimbra to Outlook PST Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
C Export NSF Lotus Notes files in Outlook PST format? Using Outlook 1
glnz How set up new IMAP on Outlook-Office 365 and merge in pst from Outlook 2003 for same two email accounts? Using Outlook 5
L What are the risks of opening an Outlook 2016 .pst file in Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 4
DariTrevino MIcrosoft Outlook PST file cannot repair Using Outlook 1
R PST->Outlook.com (Import vs Drag-n-Drop methods Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
K Outlook Archive to PST Files by Date Range VBA Script? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R How To Repair OST File & Export OST File to Outlook PST ? Using Outlook 3
K Outlook 2010 duplicate download emails 1 inbox 1 PST no updates Using Outlook 3
J Outlook 2016 - use of old PST file - will all emails be downloaded or only latest?? Using Outlook 1
P Moving Outlook.pst & archive1.pst Using Outlook 3
S Outlook does not open the .pst file created by the Outlook Using Outlook 5
G Can't open .pst. Message could not access default folder (Outlook 2010 (.pst). Before that was backi Using Outlook 0
Gunny NFOhiway Outlook PST file and Rules Using Outlook 1
chai1949 pst file in outlook 2016 Using Outlook 3
Liz Schneider PST from Outlook 2013 is now IMAP folders in 2016 Using Outlook 10
S Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2013 pst file Using Outlook 5
Diane Poremsky Remove a password from an Outlook *.pst File Using Outlook 3
GregS Import from Outlook.com .ost to IMAP .pst? Using Outlook 3
O Missing guide "Move an Outlook Personal Folders .pst File" Using Outlook 4
R Outlook PST not opening Using Outlook 1
U .pst file error at opening outlook Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky How to repair a damaged Outlook Personal Folders file (pst) Using Outlook 0
S Portable MS Outlook or similar using PST Using Outlook 0
Z Importing PST files from Outlook 07 to Outlook mac Preview Using Outlook 1
B No permission to access Outlook.pst file Using Outlook 1
S How to restore corrupted PST file over 2GB in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 2
G pst file restore Outlook 2013 from HTC One M9 Using Outlook 1
R can I transfer outlook data from old pc by using .ost file instead of the .pst Using Outlook 5
J Outlook 2003-2010 PST Field Editor Using Outlook 1
L what is safe size for pst of Outlook 2013 via Office 365 exchange? Using Outlook 1
e_a_g_l_e_p_i question about saving my .pst so I can import it to my Outlook after I build a new system Using Outlook 10
J Outlook won't open. PST file busy. Using Outlook 3