WAB editing: To help prevent malicious code from running..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Hi.

I am trying to edit my Windows Address Book to show only the recipients name in the To: box, like Joe Bloggs

and not Joe Bloggs (JoeBloggs@wobbblywhatsits.com)

Each entry brings up two warnings;

First

MS Forms

To help prevent malicious code from running, one or more objects in this form were not loaded.

Then

Script error

Object doesn't support this property or method: 'pageSBE.DataGrid1'

This is a right pain every time I edit an entry! Is there a fix for this?

ALSO, talking of address books in Excel 2010 the right click of Send to/Mail recipient (as attachment) brings up "Windows cannot find WAB.dll"

As I have installed the full version of Office 2010 I do not understand why Excel cannot find it, any suggestions?

Thanks

Trapper

Are you editing Outlook Contacts or the Windows Address book?

Did you upgrade from an older version of office? If so, did you make a new profile? I'd try a new profile and maybe a repair reinstall (Control panel, add/remove programs, choose the repair option for office). This should fix the wab error in Excel but I'm not sure about the cause of the script error.

You could try the repair install first - but if you had a version of Office older than 2003 installed on the computer and then upgraded, you really do need to make a new profile. If you are using an old data file created in pre-Outlook 2003, you also need a new data file.

Oh, and also verify outlook has all the defaults - Control panel, Default programs - the top link.

Do you get an error if you use the macro here: change email display name?

if you do have an old pst file, see How to convert ansi to unicode

Hi Diane.

Are you editing Outlook Contacts or the Windows Address book?

I am editing the Outlook Contacts which I thought was the Windows Address Book!:eek:

Did you upgrade from an older version of office? If so, did you make a new profile?

Bit complicated this one but bear with me.
I installed Windows 7 on my newly built PC, I tried to install Office 97 (The qualifying program) then Office 2000, with Excel, Outlook & Word. This did not go well as Outlook I found was incompatible with Win 7 64 bit. I then installed the Virtual Drive in order to run older XP programs and reinstalled Office 97 & 2000 on this Virtual Drive. I tried to update this with the 1st MS security update but found that MS had kindly withdrawn this so was left with a insecure but functional (Excel & Word) and Outlook that could not find a Windows Address Book WAB.dll as per an earlier thread of mine, partly copied below:

"I attempted to Install Outlook in Windows 7 but this only resulted in the loss of the WAB.dll file and I was not able to import my emails etc so after some useless attempts gave up and removed the program. I am wondering if this part installation is causing my problems now or not?

Okay, I have, after much messing around as above, installed XP MODE as a virtual PC on my Win 7 system, this then did allow me to install Outlook 2000 and I was able to import my emails and address book, my accounts as .iaf files and all seemed fine."

I then found I could purchase Office 2010 through an internet company at a student price, downloaded and when I tried to install was required to remove previous versions of Office which I did through Manage Programs. I guess it did not remove my copies on the Virtual Drive.

did you make a new profile?

I did not, and I did not know I could, or, where to start!

If you are using an old data file created in pre-Outlook 2003, you also need a new data file.

How do you do that?

Oh, and also verify outlook has all the defaults - Control panel, Default programs - the top link.

This program has all its defaults, according to default program listing. Windows Contacts is also listed.

Do you get an error if you use the macro here: change email display name?

Sorry, did not understand much of this or even which part was the macro......... what a dunce.......:eek:

if you do have an old pst file, see How to convert ansi to unicode

My PST was imported by Outlook 2010 along with my Contacts (Address Book?) I do not know if its ansi or unicode pst.

I do not want to risk losing this information so can I find out which type I have without any risk?

Okay, I seem to have an old 'Office' on my Virtual Drive, I am tempted to just delete these programs or attempt to uninstall within the Virtual Drive itself but again do not want to risk possible uninstalling the Office 2010 versions instead, or, as well as. Any suggestions on this one?

Apologies for ignorance.

You have office pro? if you have home and business, it may install a Q drive if you don't do it correctly.

If you aren't using the virtual drive for other apps, get rid of it.

Start in Control panel, add / remove programs - open office from the dialog and do a repair install.

In control panel, search for mail then make a new profile. Let outlook create a pst file for you - later you can import the data from the old data file. Create a test contact and try editing it.

I have MS Office Pro Plus 2010

I will uninstall Virtual drive once I am sure I have removed Office 2000.

Before I remove Office 2000 I want to make absolutely sure it will not affect my Outlook 2010 emails, contacts or anything else to do with Outlook 2010!

I have copied my Outlook Data file to a separate drive and noted its original location so I can copy it back. I tried to use File Open Import and to export a file. A window appeared stating this was not installed on my system and I should install this from the Windows Office 2000 Small Business CD....:mad: I chose cancel.

Somewhere Office 2000 Small Business and Office 2010 are linked.

I can uninstall Office 2000 SB from Programs and Features but do not want this to uninstall my Outlook, so what files do I need to copy to ensure everything goes back? And where do I find them? I have read many pages of info on this but all seem to end up with VBA or macros or terms/abbreviations I do not fully understand. One false move could kill it!!

I have made a new profile and made a copy of the original one.

I would copy the pst for safe keeping (which you've done) then just uninstall office and be done with it. Reinistall Office 2010 after you reboot and 99% of the time, its going to pick up the old profile, no problem. If it doesn't and you need to make a new profile, put the pst file where you want it - outlook won't care as long as you tell it where to look.

My only concern - should you delete the office folders and clean office out of the registry or not. I'm not sure what to suggest on that - it's a lot of work and most of the time, not necessary. Being lazy (<g>), I'd try just uninstalling the old office, rebooting and reinstall (or repair) office 2010.

Thanks for your advice:)

Twiddled my thumbs long enough. I removed Office 2000 Small Business through uninstall, rebooted and Windows Installer displayed 'Preparing to install'

Not sure what though! Then it changed to 'Reconfiguring MS Office Pro Plus 2010' :D Good news.....

After this had finished I opened Outlook 2010 and received the message 'Microsoft VBA for Outlook addin is not a valid Office addin' This message twice.

After opening Outlook I went to the addin tab to see if I could disable it but did not see any wording like this addin.

I then ran CCleaner for a clear out and then a registry clean.

Rebooted.

Opened Outlook that showed the message' Outlook experienced a serious problem with the 'Microsoft VBA for Outlook addin' and would I like to disable this? Err,,, YES please...

I then checked the Addin tab and found this addin was the MS Access Outlook addin for Data Collection and Publishing.

I restarted Outlook and all seemed fine..... except on editing my contacts the following messages was displayed;

First

MS Forms

To help prevent malicious code from running, one or more objects in this form were not loaded.

Then

Script error

Object doesn't support this property or method: 'pageSBE.DataGrid1'

Isn't that where we came in??????

Deja Vue or what ;)

On the VBA error: I think that should have been from Outlook's own VBA, not the Access link. I'm guessing this error is related to the original install. It could be behind the datagrid error too. (Second guess is that you were using a custom form and something is missing.)

I think i would start over at this point - however - did you import the old pst into a pst that outlook 2010 made? It's possible (but less likely) that it has something to do with ANSI file format in the old pst, but that would only be if you opened it in the profile.

To start clean:

First, in windows explorer, click Organize, File and folder options. On the view tab, you want to show hidden files and folders.

Now... find all of the folders Office installed locally and delete or rename them. Offhand, you will have them in

\program files\ and/or \program files (32 bit)\ - if you use 64bit windows.

There may be office folders under two common files folders - one is under \program files\command files\ and one may be at c:\common files\ - i forget exactly where the old versions of office put it. (It's possible the only one will be under program files.)

There should be outlook folders under your user account. %localappdata%\microsoft\and %appdata%\microsoft\

(paste one of the lines in the address bar of windows explorer and press enter to jump to it). The outlook folders contain your data files and other support files. *Rename* them - do not delete them You can recover files from them after we fix the error. I think the other folders under \microsoft\ that office uses can be left alone.

Now reboot then rerun office setup. When done, make a new profile - let outlook make the data file. Add the old pst to the profile as a second pst file - File, Account Settings, Add... browse to the old pst file. See if the error returns.

BTW - it's quite possible that all you really need to do is go into control panel, add / remove programs and find office 2010 then do a repair install. i think at this point i would still delete the office folders under program files and common files though.

Hi Diane.

I am very near to giving up and letting Microsoft win this battle:mad: I guess my little grey cells are not up to the job:(

I tried to follow your suggestions but with so many folders and not being sure which ones were actually the Office folders I was looking for lead me to chicken out on that route, sorry but I was sure I would really mess things up that way.

I had installed Office 2000 and imported my pst file from the Office 2000 on my old XP C:\ drive, I copied this to a USB stick then imported it into the new Outllok Office 2000 where it gave me problems with WAB and passwords. Then I installed Office 2010 and Outlook 2010 imported my emails and address book from where ever it looked to find it, in what form that was I do not know.

I tried copying the line %localappdata%\microsoft\ into start\search then renamed all the files with xx ******(filename) there were about 5 or 6 files. I closed the folders and rebooted, opened Outlook and of course found no emails or contacts. I then 'repaired' my Office 2010 installation. and went back to Outlook, I then returned the files renamed to their originals and restarted Outlook. No emails or contacts were shown. More by luck than knowledge I somehow managed to change the place Outlook looked for the data file and set the old folder as the default folder and joy of joys my emails and contacts were now back in place. Phew...... breathes sigh of relief.

Okay perhaps the following may throw some light on this ?

I checked default programs\set associations and found the following; Outlook form definition - unknown application and also Outlook Personal Address Book - unknown application.

And, Mailservice .mapimail - unknown application.

Probably nothing to do with this but in when I try to send a file from either Word or Excel by right clicking and selecting Send to - Mail recipient using Microsoft Outlook' it returns the message 'The file or folder sendfile.exe can't be found'.

I am wondering if it is time to quit while I am ahead, I do not want to but feel this is maybe just too far out of my skill zone!

How about this, if you can let me know exactly what files I need to copy & keep to make sure all my emails, address book/contacts, and hopefully preferences. Plus any others I should keep. I may pluck up the courage to uninstall Office 2010 and reinstall it if this will hopefully resolve the problems?

Thank you for taking so much trouble for me.

I found the following info on the OL2010 Format, the datafile is shown as Outlook Datafile 97 - 2002.

ok - if outlook is open, go to file, account settings and on the data file tab, add a new pst then set it as default.

if outlook won't open, go to control panel, search for mail then edit the profile - click data files and Add. As long a it doesn't say outlook 97-2002 format, its the new unicode format. You can then either import or drag the items to the new folders.

BTW - if you have folders to move, you can drag the folder.

Hi Diane

Nearly there:confused:

My original .pst 97~2002 file is in C:\users\ME\appdata\local\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst.

I added a new datafile and the destination for this is C:\users\ME\documents\outlook files\my outlook data (1).pst

I set the new datafile, My Outlook Data (1), as default and clicked yes after reading the information. The settings showed this file as Outlook Data format.

There was a warning message which appeared after I closed the datafile screen, this was "Unresponsive script. Location, chrome://browser/content/browser.js:7489" I do not have, as far as I know, installed the Chrome browser. I chose 'Stop Script' instead of 'Continue'.

I opened OL and tried to import the content of the original .pst file into my new datafile as there were no emails or contacts available in Outlook using my new datafile (1). A message appeared "This Outlook datafile.pst is already in use in the current profile." I would rather have one profile and keep things as simple as I can.

In the left pane which shows my folders I have my original Outlook with my folders, and at the bottom of this my new My Outlook Data (1) is also shown.

I assume I need to copy the contents of my original .pst (Old format) into my new .pst (New format) folder. I cannot open the original folder outside of Outlook to copy the files, so do I need to put the old folder into the new folder, I would think not?

How do I then copy my email folder and contacts to the new format?

Thanks for your patience :)

Diane wrote;

You can then either import or drag the items to the new folders

I wrote:

I opened OL and tried to import the content of the original .pst file into my new datafile as there were no emails or contacts available in Outlook using my new datafile (1). A message appeared "This Outlook datafile.pst is already in use in the current profile." I would rather have one profile and keep things as simple as I can.

I assume I need to copy the contents of my original .pst (Old format) into my new .pst (New format) folder. I cannot open the original folder outside of Outlook to copy the files, so do I need to put the old folder into the new folder, I would think not?

How do I then copy my email folder and contacts to the new format?

Any thoughts as to the above.......

What are the advantages of changing to the new Data format over the older 97 - 2002 format?

Thank you.

Assuming you will not be using it with a Outlook 2002 or older (they don't support Unicode pst files) you will gain the ability to have larger pst files. Old pst files cannot grow much past 1.87 GB. Beyond that and the pst is corrupt - this can (often does) result in data loss. New pst files also support Unicode. While this is less of an issue if you never ever converse in foreign languages, it is a big reason for changing. Many of the limitations of ANSI (old format) pst files are gone - notes (both sticky and in contacts, appt, and task forms) are unlimited now.

While Outlook 2010 can deliver to ANSI pst files, it works best with Unicode and future versions will only be able to deliver to unicode. It's not whether you convert but when.

My recommendation is to move at least new items, contacts, and future or recent appointments and tasks. Keep the old pst file as an archive.

More info and methods are at convert ansi to unicode pst

If the pst file is in the profile, you'll need to close it first if you are going to try the import method. If you are having problems opening outlook with that pst in the profile, import may not work either.

Hi Diane.

A very large thank you for your help, this may not be the perfect option but I have decided on the following which I hope will give me the best of both worlds.

I have added a new DataFile and set this as default, I have changed my email delivery addresses to this new file and also changed my address book to work with this file. In Outlook I now have my new DataFile to which I have added some folders and I have kept my old profile shrunk down to one line.

New emails will be delivered to my new file but I can still access my old emails should I need to. There are many years worth that on occasion I need to dig into. If I need to send a reply to an email in my old profile in 97 ~ 2002 the emailed reply to me should then be in the new format, I think (hope) that's how it will work?

My very best regards

Trapper

Yes, that should work perfectly. (It does when i do it. :))

If you reply to messages in the old pst, you shouldn't have any problems. Replies to your initial reply will be in the new pst. For this reason, I usually move newer mail (that I'm still working) to the new pst and keep the old one as an archive with messages I am mostly likely to need only for reference.

Being the wrong side of 70 it takes a bit (LOT) longer to get to grips with newer technology and today its all abbreviations and tech talk and one false click can wreak havoc as I know all to well (Thanks a lot to Easus Data Recovery:(:eek::))

Diane's patience must have been stretched somewhat, but there was a lot to take on board and try to make heads or tails of. With her help I got where I wanted to be.

Best regards

Trapper

Nah, i'm used to it - my husband is worse than anyone i help online. And my kids call for help all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.