"For Follow Up" items missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

healthpointe

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
I'm a helpdesk technician at my company and I had a user report a very strange problem the other day. She reported that she 30 emails flagged for follow up. Then she logged out of her station, went to lunch, and when she logged back in there were only 18. I was skeptical, but we software here that takes continuous screen shots of all users throughout the day. I took a look at the screen shots and sure enough, the moment before she logged out for lunch Outlook displayed "For Follow Up [30]" and the moment she logged back in to her machine and opened Outlook it displayed "For Follow Up [18]" It's the strangest thing. I don't even know where to begin. Any ideas??

So the flags were cleared.

Does she sync with a device? That could clear the flag, as can a rule configured to remove flags, but a rule is highly unlikely unless she used Run Rules Now.

Does she have a delegate or share her mailbox with anyone?

If she hasn't touched the items that were flagged (such as re-flagged them) and you can identify them, you could check the last modified date and see if it matches the time period she was logged off. That would tell us that yes, something changed them at that time. However its not foolproof as marking it read, replying or a few other things will change the last mod date. If the last mod date is before the log off, I'd suspect corruption in her cache - when she flagged the items the change never synced up to the server and when she logged on, the server re-synced.

I just checked with the user. She does not sync with a device and does not have any rules set.

That leaves sync issues between the server and the ost. How long were the messages flagged? If she flagged them sometimes earlier in the day, blaming sync issues is easier - but if they were flagged longer, it's harder to blame sync issues.

BTW - check the Sync issues folder and see if there is anything there that might be a clue. Otherwise, I'm out of ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C Outlook 365 Can you change the follow up colour? Using Outlook 1
justicefriends How to set a flag to follow up using VBA - for addressee in TO field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
R Follow up button doesn't working neither the reminders in BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
A Flag Message for Follow Up after sending Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
V Changing default date for task follow-up buttons Using Outlook 2
M Setting flag follow up for next business day Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
O Outlook 2016 follow-up flags--how can I add dates? Using Outlook 1
G Flag for Follow Up with a customized duetime Using Outlook 1
G Follow up and Using Outlook 1
K check for sender, follow to my personal adress and delete the sent folder. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
oliv- HOW TO GET PROPERTIES FOLLOW UP Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
D No Follow up when making new form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
rc4524 Create auto follow-up reminder email for already sent messages Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
smokiibear follow-up flag fro Tasks in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 5
N Adding a note to a e-mail which has been marked as follow up Using Outlook 1
A Post Form Follow Up Flag Using Outlook 4
J How to set a flag to follow up using VBA for outlook 2003 Using Outlook 10
F Apply Follow up flag ONLY to the people cc'd. Using Outlook 1
R Flagged for Follow Up Search folder MIA after PST export/import Using Outlook 1
M adding marked emails under follow-up Using Outlook 2
2 Flag for Follow up or create new task Using Outlook 1
M How can I customize the Follow Up Flag message in Quick Steps? Using Outlook 1
N Mark or follow up emails in shared mailbox Using Outlook 2
B Multiple follow ups Using Outlook 1
Q Follow up: Make a combo box dependant on another Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
S Adding follow flag for me by macro (MSO2007) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
P turn off the default "all day" check box in new calendar items. How? Using Outlook 1
A Outlook 365 (OutLook For Mac)Move "On My Computer" Folder Items From Old To New Mac Computer Using Outlook 3
Kika Melo Outlook Calendar deleted appointments not in Deleted Items folder Using Outlook 3
icacream Outlook 2021 Win 10 - Nothing goes in my Drafts or Sent items folders ! Using Outlook 1
M using excel to sort outlook appointment items Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
K Changing the Deleted Items location in Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 2
R Adding Userform Dropdown List items from names of subfolders on network drive Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
C How to search for items in Outbox with multiple accounts? Using Outlook 20
N How to add or delete items to Move dropdown Menu Using Outlook 0
sophievldn Looking for a macro that moves completed items from subfolders to other subfolder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
wayneame Changing the Form Used by Existing Task Items in a Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
K How to share multiple calendar items Using Outlook 1
F Wishlist Outlook suddenly began synchronizing deleted items every time I delete a single email. Using Outlook 2
D Autosort macro for items in a view Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J Names in sent items suddenly show as Bob Smith (bobsmith@sample.com) Using Outlook 3
M Messages Intermittently Dont Arrive In Sent Items After Sending Successfully Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2016 Outlook not saving Sent Items Using Outlook 4
G Retention Policy for Outlook.com Deleted Items folder Using Outlook 0
M Outlook on 3 Computers Shows Different Total Items on Same Account Using Outlook 3
B oContacts.Items.Restrict Misses Some Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
T Changing Sent Items location in Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 0
K Use VBA to find Sender and Recipient from Microsfot 365 Journaled Email Items Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
A Connect to server to views items Using Outlook 0
D Mail in Sent Items Gone Using Outlook 12