Mass find & delete email addresses from address book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack2back

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I am searching for a way to search for a mass amount of email addresses in my Outlook 2010, and delete them all together.

I have recently finished an online newsletter service and have been left with an xcl/csv file with all the email addresses that bouncedback or unsubscrived.

I would now like to delete these addresses from my original Outlook address book. Is there a way to do "find and delete" for Outlook contacts by uploading my file?

A colleague has suggested that I simply upload the list into a new distribution list in Outlook, then delete the emails straight away - and that it might delete the original copies from my address book at the same time. Does this sound like something that might work?

I am hesitant to upload the file, until I know they can be easily deleted again.

Many thanks in advance for any advice,

Jack

no, you can do a find and delete using the list. As described, no, your colleague's idea won't work... but he is on the right track.

If sounds like you have a contact for each subscriber, not a DL list -you could export the contacts to CSV then using the "bad" list to cross reference the addresses you need to remove, then import the cleansed list.

Step 1: move the list members to a new folder.

Step 2: Export new folder to CSV format

Step 3: open both CSV files in Excel.

There are several ways you can filter the list - lookup tables, simple compare formulas, vba to read the bad list and highlight rows where the email address matches. (If this is going to be a frequent need, working on a vba solution could be cost effective in the long run. )

After you delete the bad rows, import it back into outlook, into the correct folder. When you are satisfied everything is ok and you don't need the old contacts, delete the folder.

if your vba is good, you could write outlook vba to find contacts by vba and delete them, but I don't have samples that do that.

After you delete the bad rows, import it back into outlook, into the correct folder. When you are satisfied everything is ok and you don't need the old contacts, delete the folder.

if your vba is good, you could write outlook vba to find contacts by vba and delete them, but I don't have samples that do that.

Thanks for your reply Diane,

My vba skills are non-existing, so I am going to go down the route of simply comparing the CSV table lists and doing all the deleting legwork myself. The only problem I feel I may encounter is comparing between two seperate documents. Do you know of the best route to do this?

Jack

I would add two columns (or more) in front of column a in the contacts file in Excel then paste the bad list in the first field (beginning with the row containing the contact that belongs to first bad address). if the list is short you could "eyeball" them and drag the bad contacts down as you go or try something with a formula: = if($a$1 = $d$1, "check me", "") where a1 and d1 are the bad address and the contact's address. You'll need to keep sliding the bad address down so it might not save you any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
G Mass Updating Contact form used Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
M adding corresponding contact form data on a mass scale Using Outlook 5
J Add-in for sending mass emails Using Outlook 14
B Mass customized emails sent weekly Using Outlook 0
David French Mass e-mail avoiding SPAM Using Outlook 1
SirFishAlot Send atachment with mass email using BCM, and Publisher 2013 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
W Mass emailing to contacts linked to accounts BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
A How to send Personalized attachment while sending mass mail Using Outlook 1
P Delayed mass email sending Using Outlook 2
D Sending mass e-mail (picture only) Using Outlook 1
J Mass Printing to a 'Category' BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
A Need help in creating a mass emailing plugin Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M "File As" option lost company name- Mass change? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
S Related messages show in main Outlook window vice new Advanced Find windows Using Outlook 1
mrrobski68 Issue with Find messages in a conversation macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
O How to find out the domain and server settings that my Outlook is using? Using Outlook 2
T How to find or display the sub-folder name for an Archive Search Using Outlook 10
Bardiferous Weird Contacts Behavior - Can't find any in any address book, but they're in there Using Outlook 3
J search doesn't find anything Using Outlook 1
M Issues with templates - unable to find in old web app Using Outlook 3
O How to find and replace a word in Outlook-Agenda-Subject and Message? Using Outlook 0
B Search and Find Email by Folder Name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Witzker How to find all emails from and to a contact in OL 2019 Using Outlook 6
S How to find emails that I sent that have not received a reply? Using Outlook 7
K Use VBA to find Sender and Recipient from Microsfot 365 Journaled Email Items Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M How can we find the list of users who are members of a deleted distribution list? Exchange Server Administration 2
N Disable Auto Read Receipts sent after using Advanced Find Using Outlook 4
H Outlook 2003 find by "has attachment" Using Outlook 1
geoffnoakes Find Contacts with UDFs "in this item" Using Outlook 1
L Moving emails with similar subject and find the timings between the emails using outlook VBA macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B Outlook 2010 Can not find a certain file in M/S Outlook 2010. Using Outlook 1
T "cannot find the calendar folder for this item" - calendar items stuck in outbox Using Outlook 0
S Find a cell value in excel using outlook vba Using Outlook 1
B Looking to filter (or just find/search) for only messages that the sender has sent more than 1 messa Using Outlook 2
B Search: Cannot find which Folder Contains a Message Using Outlook 3
K How to find specific header and copy the mail body Using Outlook 0
Hudas VBA find and open an email without looping thru each email in the inbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
E How to find or recover Lost e-mails within a folder under Inbox? Using Outlook 2
H "Advanced find: column for full folder path? Using Outlook 1
M What is the best way to find all records of an e-mail for our company? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
C Find all deleted recurrence appointments Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
mrje1 Is there a Find and Replace feature in Outlook 2016? Using Outlook 4
G Can't find contacts entered Using Outlook 0
Connie Boyer Exporting Outlook calendar/find next repeating meeting Using Outlook 3
B Find related messages to sender Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
B Find Related Emails to sender Using Outlook 1
RBLampert Outlook "can't find" my e-mail server to receive messages Using Outlook 22
M Can't find messages Using Outlook 4
Diane Poremsky Find the Distribution Lists a Contact Belongs to Using Outlook 0
T Macro to find contacts by category and copy them to another folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 15