Manually created Sent Items folder is lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

goude

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hello everyone.

I have got an exchange email account and a few days ago I received an email from the administrator saying that I have exceeded my mailbox storage limit. That stopped me from receiving emails so I created a subfolder under Inbox called SentEmails and I moved all my emails from the Sent Items folder to the SentEmails folder. That reduced my mailbox and I was able to receive emails again.

A day later my computer crashed and I had to force reboot it without logging off. After that my SentEmails folder disappeared and I had saved all my sent messages in there. The Support people are telling me that when I forced reboot the computer my profile was not saved back to the server and that might have caused the problem. I understand that but does anyone know how it would make my folder disappear? Is there a way to get it back?

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Many thanks

Something does not compute. :) How did you create the new sent folder?

I am assuming that you created a pst file on your computer and moved the sent items to it, not that you created a folder as a subfolder of the Inbox. If the Inbox is in the Exchange mailbox, moving from Sent items to a subfolder of the inbox just moved the messages, it won't reduce mailbox size.

If my assumption is correct, try repeating the steps you used to create the pst - do you see the pst file you created when you get to the point where the dialog asks you to select a file or enter a pst name?

If your inbox was in a pst already, are you using roaming profiles with the pst stored in the roaming profile? If so, IT is correct that the pst did not upload to the server.

Hi Diane

Thank you for your reply.

I right clicked on the "Mailbox - Username" and then "New folder". Typed a name for the new folder and hit OK.
You are right it was not an Inbox subfolder, it was a Mailbox - Username subfolder. It was under the rest of the outlook default folders.

If I try to open a new outlook data files there are no pst files when the dialog prompts me to choose one. There is only this: C:\WINDOWS\LocalEmailCache\username\CachedExMail.ost

It is a roaming profile but in that case my old sent messages should have still be in the default Sent Items folder, right?

If the cache did not update, then yes, they might be in the sent items folder on the server. Log in using OWA to see. If Recover deleted items is enabled, you may be able to recover them if they aren't in Sent items.

My comment still applies though- moving mail from Sent Items to a folder within the mailbox will not reduce the mailbox size. You need to move them to a pst file to make room on the server. Or delete other mail from the mailbox.

If Recover deleted items is enabled, you may be able to recover them if they aren't in Sent items

That did the trick:eek:

Many thanks Diane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Hornblower409 Automatically or Manually Backup Multiple Versions of VbaProject.OTM Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
HarvMan Archive Email Manually Using Outlook 1
K mark emails with colour manually (like in thunderbird) Using Outlook 1
Aussie Outlook 365 Rule runs manually but returns the error code "an unexpected error has occurred" when incoming mail arrives Using Outlook 1
David McKay VBA to manually forward using odd options Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
L VB script only runs manually Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
A Manually Building DisplayName <emailaddr> No Longer Works Using Outlook 0
B Macro to manually move selected emails to network folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Diane Poremsky Manually create a POP3 account in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 0
F Outbox - Multiple Emails need to be manually opened? Using Outlook 5
T Outlook 2010 manually actioning of send and receive? remove auto actioning Using Outlook 4
T Rules to run manually and NOT automatically ? Using Outlook 0
Q why this program doesn't work if Outlook is not manually launched? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
Fozzie Bear Calendar Events created on iPhone have suddenly start sending invitations to attendees Using Outlook 2
J Calendar events created on iPhone automatically changing default alert from 'None' to 'Time of Event' Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
B Outlook 365 Files Being Created with Logging OFF Using Outlook 0
T Outlook 365 Move newly created tasks automatically on save. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
K Multiple copies of task being created Using Outlook 2
V Outlook 2016 Multiple recurring tasks getting created Using Outlook 0
D.Moore VB script to Digitaly Sign newly created outlook message Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A Created a new user account and the local account cannot see email Using Outlook 3
RBLampert Assigning a newly (re)created e-mail account to a specific .pst data file Using Outlook 2
A Created a personal group that now appears to be a public group Using Outlook 3
S Outlook does not open the .pst file created by the Outlook Using Outlook 5
Carrie Dickey Outlook 2016 created two calendars titled Calendar1 - appear to be a copy Using Outlook 2
Diane Poremsky Display the Created Date field of any Outlook item Using Outlook 0
S how to set user properties to a newly created appointment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 12
S my vbscript button1_click code works on appointment created but not on opening an existing apntmn Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 16
M Automatically create event in calendar when task is created Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
makinmyway Appointments Created in iCloud Calendars Cover Contacts Field...Why? Using Outlook 3
M Copy new appointments created in multiple shared calendars to another exchange calendar Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Newly created IMAP subfolders not showing up on email clients away from computer. Using Outlook 3
B Saved emails in folders I created on left of screen are being erased as I open each folder Using Outlook 0
E Recurred tasks are created with a wrong due date Using Outlook 0
P Task form created in outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Stompandgo Copied PST file asking for password - but I never created one?! Using Outlook 3
L Save Mail Message to new folder created automatically Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Adding an attachment to email I just created (VBA) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
deonholt Address Book problem and created new profile ... Using Outlook 1
M Copy "To" Address Value from a Newly Created Email to the "To" Address Field of Custom Form Using Outlook 4
wallisellener created date BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
B Timed events created in iPhone auto-change to All Day events in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
P Created new profile, how do I share existing contacts/calendar? Using Outlook 1
I Outlook 2010 Print Created Date on Drafts Using Outlook 3
J iCloud Calendar/Contacts Syncing Hangs At End - aplzod Data Store Not Created Using Outlook 8
J View the date a contact was created Using Outlook 7
B Date of mail created Using Outlook 1
A No profiles created problem in outlook after clicking outlook icon Using Outlook 0
A Emailing Calendars Created in Outlook Calendar Printing Assistant Using Outlook 3
D How can I add a user created template to the toolbar Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1