Importing pst, archive pst and address not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oncilla

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
I had a capacitor blow on my mother board the other day so had to get a new computer. Outlook 2007 (sp3) is installed and old drive is now a slave (E drive). I have not been able to get the pst from old drive to import. I kept getting that it is "not an outlook data file". I have used scanpst.ext to repair and now it will add the folder under a "recovered personal file" folder but when I click finish to finish the install of old pst it goes away and I get a new folder added that says & Don't prompt me about this again.

Somehow my old archive.pst file was lost (8 gigs) so I am archiving new emails as I get them. Sadly, when I archive a folder it will make an archive folder but will not transfer the emails from folder to folder. I have to do that but dragging them into the archive.

Lastly, I cannot import my address book either.

Gary

I am hoping that "someone" will resond. I really need help with this issue.

sorry about the delay - it's vacation time :)

The easy one first: Archive works on the last modified date by default so if you imported the older mail, they will have a last mode date as of when you imported. See AutoArchiving by Received Date in Outlook - Slipstick Systems for the steps to archive by received date in Outlook 2007 and up.
What happens if you copy the pst from the external drive to your My documents folder and try to open it using File, Data File management, Add?

sorry about the delay - it's vacation time :)

The easy one first: Archive works on the last modified date by default so if you imported the older mail, they will have a last mode date as of when you imported. See AutoArchiving by Received Date in Outlook - Slipstick Systems for the steps to archive by received date in Outlook 2007 and up.

What happens if you copy the pst from the external drive to your My documents folder and try to open it using File, Data File management, Add?

HI Diane,

I exported the pst file to my desktop. I then tried to import into Outlook without success using the wizard. At first a new folder section shows up labeled "recovered personal folder" and when I click finish on the import screen wizard it disappears and is replaced with a new folder in my current personal folder called "&Don't prompt me about this message again." I have always been able to import a pst file as well as an archive file. But no can do this time.

Gary

Oh, that annoying issues - try disabling the social connector and see if it stops the don't prompt me again folders.

Also, try opening the pst using file, Open, Outlook Data file. Does it work?

Oh, that annoying issues - try disabling the social connector and see if it stops the don't prompt me again folders.

Also, try opening the pst using file, Open, Outlook Data file. Does it work?

No, I cannot open a pst file other than the one loaded when I installed office. The others on my slave drive won't open. All I get is a message saying they are not Outlook data files. They are pst files tho. I search for "social connectors via google for 2007 and could not find a way to disable it. Does 2007 hacve a social connector. I did not see it in the add-ins section.

Gary

Oh, yeah I forgot about 2007 - it's an add-in. So yeah, you could have it, but you'd need to actually install it. The cause is not specifically the social connector, but an addin that apparently interacts with it. Or so we think. What addins do you have installed?

If the files on the slave won't open or copy to your hard drive, they are corrupt. If outlook was open when the computer failed, that could cause the corruption. Opening the files from a network or portable drive can also cause corruption, especially if the connection is slow.

Can you open the 'recovered personal folder' file and if so, is anything in it?

If the files on the slave won't open or copy to your hard drive, they are corrupt. If outlook was open when the computer failed, that could cause the corruption. Opening the files from a network or portable drive can also cause corruption, especially if the connection is slow.

Can you open the 'recovered personal folder' file and if so, is anything in it?

The recovered personal file was empty when viewed in outlook. Even tho it is 123 MB. I did a scanpst.exe and that showed that the pst file is OK. I am starting to think it is the copy of outlook I installed. I think there is an issue with it.

Gary

p.s. I was reading email when the mother board when out

Oh, yeah I forgot about 2007 - it's an add-in. So yeah, you could have it, but you'd need to actually install it. The cause is not specifically the social connector, but an addin that apparently interacts with it. Or so we think. What addins do you have installed?

I typed out a reply with all the add-ins but somehow they did not show up. I am hoping the server is slow as I don't really weant to do thast over. UGH.....

Hit reply - is there a little box on the left that says restore saved content (or something like that)? If not, you can post a screenshot of the Addins window. (The forum has a size limit and a shot of the entire desktop is probably too large) If you don't have a screen capture program, I recommend jing - it's free from TechSmith Jing, screenshot and screencast software from TechSmith

The recovered personal file was empty when viewed in outlook. Even tho it is 123 MB. I did a scanpst.exe and that showed that the pst file is OK. I am starting to think it is the copy of outlook I installed. I think there is an issue with it.

Gary

p.s. I was reading email when the mother board when out

Reading mail when it went out could certainly corrupt the data file. I don't think Outlook is bad. Go to the folder list, you can use Ctrl+6 to get there, do you see any folders? Is the missing mail in it? It won't be much if this is from the 8 GB archive...

Reading mail when it went out could certainly corrupt the data file. I don't think Outlook is bad. Go to the folder list, you can use Ctrl+6 to get there, do you see any folders? Is the missing mail in it? It won't be much if this is from the 8 GB archive...

ctrl+6 does nothing on my computer. I ran scanpst.exe and apparently have an uncorrupted copy now. But it still says the pst file is empty when I open it in folder fview. The file I am trying to import is NOT the 8 gis one. That one is gone for some reason. The one I want to import is 123 MB's. I did notice that when opening the repaired pst file that is is now 56 KB. Yesterday the repait was 117 MB. I have no clue wht happened to the emails in there.

Gary

if Ctrl+6 doesn't work, you are probably in the folder list already.

56KB is definitely corrupt - the minimum size is 256KB. Are you running scanpst on a copy of the pst on the slave or did you copy the pst to your hard drive? Do you have a copy of the bad pst still available?

if Ctrl+6 doesn't work, you are probably in the folder list already.

56KB is definitely corrupt - the minimum size is 256KB. Are you running scanpst on a copy of the pst on the slave or did you copy the pst to your hard drive? Do you have a copy of the bad pst still available?

I figured out the issue Diane. YEEEAAA!!! I downloaded a program called “Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair”. It was just the free download and was only usuable to locate files as it will not save them until you purchase.

Apparently, the pst files I was trying to use were basically empty (and apparently bad) tho they said they were 117 MB. When I did a search using windows it only found those. I did a search with the Stellar program and it found some hidden files. A 1.2 gig and a 13.1 gig archive pst. I wrote down the location and followed it there. E:\Documents and Settings\Home\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

I then copied the outlook.pst to a folder on the desktop and imported. It worked great and I have all my emails back and my contacts as well. Life is good for the moment. Now to try and import the 13.1 gig archive.pst.

Now, to figure out how to import an archive.pst into my current archive.pst. It is 13.1 gigs. EEEKKK...

Gary

You can use the Import command (File, Open, Import in Outlook 2010) - as long as the new archive pst is in the profile, you can import the old one into it. Or just open the old one using File, Open, Outlook data file and keep the old one as an older archive and work on making a second 13 GB pst. :)

You can use the Import command (File, Open, Import in Outlook 2010) - as long as the new archive pst is in the profile, you can import the old one into it. Or just open the old one using File, Open, Outlook data file and keep the old one as an older archive and work on making a second 13 GB pst. :)

I am using 2007 still. I don't have "File, Open, Import in Outlook". I can of course open the 2nd archive pst and drag the folders one by one but 13 gigs of that might be daunting. LOL..

in 2007, it's file, import and export

Status
Not open for further replies.