Replied-to email messages don't sync properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

podulike

Outlook version
Email Account
Hello, I'm new here. I hope this topic hasn't been done to death in the past.

I've only been using Outlook Hotmail Connector and Hotmail (actually 'live.co.uk') for about a month now - although I've been using Outlook for over ten years. I'm running Outlook 2007 with Outlook Hotmail Connector 32 bit (14.0.6123.5001) on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

The problem I'm encountering is this...

1. I get a new message from, say, Mr Example, in my Outlook inbox.

2. While the message is still in my Outlook inbox, I reply to it.

3. Having replied to it, I then drag the original message from my inbox to my 'Mr Example' folder.

4. I also drag my reply from the Sent Items folder to my 'Mr Example' folder.

5. The problem is that later, if I log into my 'live.co.uk' account the original message from Mr Example is still in my 'live.co.uk' inbox. And it stays there indefinitely until I move it from the 'live.co.uk' inbox into the 'Mr Example' folder in my 'live'co.uk' account.

Incoming messages from Mr Example that I don't reply to, and drag to the 'Mr Example' folder get synced fine. And if I create from scratch a new message and send it to Mr Example, and then drag my message from the Sent Items folder to the 'Mr Example' folder, that will get synced fine too.

I guess I could get round the problem by dragging Mr Example's original message to the Mr Example folder before replying to it. But I haven't worked that way in Outlook in the past and I don't really want to start now.

Or maybe I should upgrade to Outlook 2010?

Thank you for your help.

PS: when I registered just now with Outlook Forums I was asked for my 'email account type'. I wasn't sure which option to choose. As I'm using Outlook Hotmail connector I chose 'Outlook Connector (MAPI)'. I'm not sure if my email account is MAPI so I hope that was the correct choice.

Upgrading rarely fixes problems... and yes, the Outlook Connector is the correct account type. If you look in Account Settings, you'll see 'mapi' to the right of the Hotmail account.

How long between sending the reply and the drag?

Do the moved versions get uploaded? (giving you two copies)

I'll have to test it, but if the message is moved before the changes (read/reply) are updated, the online copy is basically orphaned, unlinked from the Outlook copy.

Upgrading rarely fixes problems... and yes, the Outlook Connector is the correct account type. If you look in Account Settings, you'll see 'mapi' to the right of the Hotmail account.

Ah, see, I see that now. Thanks.

How long between sending the reply and the drag?

My step 3? It's virtually instantaneous. As soon as I've replied and clicked Send, I drag the original incoming message to the 'Mr Example' folder. It's my way of telling myself that I've dealt with the incoming message.

Do the moved versions get uploaded? (giving you two copies)

I think you're asking me if, after syncing, there are two copies of the original incoming message on 'live.co.uk'? One in the 'Mr Example' folder and one in the 'live.co.uk' inbox? If so, then I'm 99 percent sure there is only the one copy - in the 'live.co.uk' inbox. But I'll double-check.

I'll have to test it, but if the message is moved before the changes (read/reply) are updated, the online copy is basically orphaned, unlinked from the Outlook copy.

I think you're suggesting that I should leave the original incoming message in my Outlook inbox until syncing has completed? Then, once syncing has completed, move the original incoming message to the 'Mr Example' folder. Then all will sync properly eventually? I'll give this a try.

Diane, thank you very much for your help.

Correct, be a little slow at moving the items and see if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
I Check if sent email has been replied Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
I Email Replied for first time Date/Time Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
C Need rule to alert when an email has not been replied to within 24 hours Using Outlook 1
2 Email not replied to reminder - aka boomerang? Using Outlook 3
C Icons (arrows) not showing on emails forwarded or replied to Using Outlook 8
V Auto-Submitted: auto-replied in header Using Outlook 0
G Missing forward/replied icons Using Outlook 2
G Outlook 2016: reply icon not showing when replied from mobile Using Outlook 3
OnCall "You replied to..." not showing up Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Forward Messages that were not Replied To Using Outlook 0
FirefIy Marking message read only if replied to the message or Ctrl+Q. Possible? Using Outlook 1
C Required VBA code to complete task when replied to Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
W "You Replied on" Gets Stripped from Emails after they are Moved to Folder Using Outlook 1
S Outlook macro to move replied / forwarded emails to a seperate folder Using Outlook 1
B Replied to messages are being deleted Using Outlook 1
A In Outlook 2007, need to see the replied/responded date in Inbox view Using Outlook 3
O "Replied" messages not in "sent" box, but are appearing in my "inbox" from me Using Outlook 1
L VBA to Triage Incoming Email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
R Legacy Outlook on Mac Email Cache Using Outlook 0
P Email address auto-completes work fine on laptop, but no longer on desktop Using Outlook 3
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
H Copying email address(es) in body of email and pasting in To field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Search folder and move the email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P VBA to add email address to Outlook 365 rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
farrissf Outlook 2016 Optimizing Email Searches in Outlook 2016: Seeking Insights on Quick Search vs Advanced Search Features Using Outlook 0
D Delete selected text in outgoing email body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
F Graphics in email / Mac recipient garbled Using Outlook 0
D Outlook VBA forward the selected email to the original sender’s email ID (including the email used in TO, CC Field) from the email chain Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Witzker Outlook 2019 Macro to seach in all contact Folders for marked Email Adress Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
E Outlook 365 Save Selected Email Message as .msg File - oMail.Delete not working when SEARCH Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Email Macros to go to a SHARED Outlook mailbox Draft folder...NOT my personal Outlook Draft folder Using Outlook 2
R Outlook 365 VBA AUTO SEND WITH DELAY FOR EACH EMAIL Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
G Print email attachments when hit subfolder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C Spam Email? Using Outlook 2
G Automatically delete email when a condition is met Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
E Save Selected Email Message as .msg File - digitally sign email doesn't works Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Email was migrated from GoDaddy to Microsoft exchange. We lost IMAP ability Exchange Server Administration 1
R Outlook 365 How to integrate a third-party app with Outlook to track email and sms? Using Outlook 2
S Paperclip icon shows without attachment in email under Sent folder Using Outlook 0
B Outlook 2019 Automatically move email after assigning category Using Outlook 4
Rupert Dragwater How to permanently remove an email address Using Outlook 9
K vba code to auto download email into a specific folder in local hard disk as and when any new email arrives in Inbox/subfolder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
F Auto changing email subject line in bulk Using Outlook 2
F Want to add second email to Outlook for business use Using Outlook 4
kburrows Outlook Email Body Text Disappears/Overlaps, Folders Switch Around when You Hover, Excel Opens Randomly and Runs in the Background - Profile Corrupt? Using Outlook 0
J Outlook 365 Outlook Macro to Sort emails by column "Received" to view the latest email received Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
A Outlook 2019 Help with forwarding email without mentioning the previous email sender. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
J Macro to send email as alias Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M Shift Delete doesn't delete email from server Using Outlook 3
K Incorporate selection from combobox into body of email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0