[VBA] complicated(?) outlook events - need help with code

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobZ

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hello everyone! I am having two problems with outlook (precisely a shared mailbox) that I am trying to solve and so far have been unsuccessful. Maybe your expertise will come in handy. At the office we are using a SHARED mailbox as well as several excel based vba scripts to gather statistics. One statistic that we collect is mean time to reply, calculated as the difference between time replied to an email (accessed through propert accessor) and creation time. The problem here is that if a user opens an email and saves it, outlook will automatically mark it as replied, which can later lead to a disaster. My solution to this problem was to write a write event handler ( see below for a snippet)
Code:
Private Sub m_objMail_Write(Cancel As Boolean)     Reply = MsgBox("wanna save?", vbYesNo)         If Reply = vbNo Then             Cancel = True         End If End Sub
but it fires even when you send an email, even two times, so it's super annoying. How else can I solve the problem? The second thing is that when we reply to an email the from field defaults to the from email address. I also tried to fix that but none of the below works...
Code:
Private Sub m_objMail_Reply(ByVal Response As Object, Cancel As Boolean)     With m_objMail          '.SendUsingAccount = "test@gmail.com"          '.SentOnBehalfOfName =  "test@gmail.com"          .Sender.Address =  "test@gmail.com"     End With End Sub
Any ideas if it can be changed to a different email address> rEGARDS, Rob

The only way to solve the draft problem is to not save drafts...

On the address, SentOnBehalfOfName is what you need to use to send from the shared mailboxes. See http://www.slipstick.com/developer/reply-using-address-message-sent-to/ for a macro that might work for you. Or try using it with your macro.

This works for open or selected items -

Code:
Option Explicit 

Private WithEvents oExpl As Explorer 

Private WithEvents oItem As MailItem 

Private bDiscardEvents As Boolean 

Private Sub Application_Startup()
  Set oExpl = Application.ActiveExplorer
  bDiscardEvents = False 

End Sub 

Private Sub oExpl_SelectionChange()
  On Error Resume Next
  Set oItem = oExpl.Selection.Item(1) 

End Sub 

Private Sub oItem_Reply(ByVal Response As Object, Cancel As Boolean)

Cancel = True
  bDiscardEvents = True
  Dim oResponse As MailItem
  Set oResponse = oItem.Reply
  oResponse.SentOnBehalfOfName = "me@here.com"
  oResponse.Display

bDiscardEvents = False 

Set oItem = Nothing 

End Sub

Hi Diane,

Thanks a lot for your reply. It does work in a sense - meaning it does set the acc in the from field but still sends the email with a different account :-(

Do the sender's have Send As permission on the mailbox? I assumed they did - and if they can change the From field manually and it works, they do.

What version of exchange are you using? I'll double check with Outlook 2010, but in 2013, with my account set as owner and having send as permissions, the shared mailbox is set as the reply account automatically. No VBA necessary.

Do the sender's have Send As permission on the mailbox? I assumed they did - and if they can change the From field manually and it works, they do.

Yes, they do. If you change the field manually it does work.

What version of exchange are you using? I'll double check with Outlook 2010, but in 2013, with my account set as owner and having send as permissions, the shared mailbox is set as the reply account automatically. No VBA necessary.

Either 2007 or 2010(is there an easy way to find out?). Definitely not 2013. When you reply/forward an email outlook automatically inserts the groups email address and we have to change it... I am looking for an automated solution :)

Your help is much appreciated :)

Kind regards.

When you reply/forward an email outlook automatically inserts the groups email address and we have to change it... I am looking for an automated solution :)

HElp > About will have the version - but i can test with both 2010 and 2007.

What address do you want in the From field? The Shared mailbox, or the user's own address?

HElp > About will have the version - but i can test with both 2010 and 2007. What address do you want in the From field? The Shared mailbox, or the user's own address?
User's own address always. Kind regards

Ah... I had it in my head that you wanted to use the shared address. The code needs tweaked a bit... or remove send as permission from the mailbox.

This works here to change the shared address to the user's mailbox address.

Code:
Option Explicit 

Private WithEvents oExpl As Explorer 

Private WithEvents oItem As MailItem 

Private bDiscardEvents As Boolean 

Private Sub Application_Startup()
  Set oExpl = Application.ActiveExplorer
  bDiscardEvents = False 

End Sub 

Private Sub oExpl_SelectionChange()
  On Error Resume Next
  Set oItem = oExpl.Selection.Item(1) 

End Sub 

Cancel = True
  bDiscardEvents = True

oResponse.SentOnBehalfOfName = "dianep@outlookmvp.com"
   oResponse.Display

bDiscardEvents = False 

Set oItem = Nothing 

End Sub

Hmmm. That is the same code i posted before. It's working here. It's triggered in open messages or on a change event. So try selecting a different message then reply.

Hmmm. That is the same code i posted before. It's working here. It's triggered in open messages or on a change event. So try selecting a different message then reply.
The code does change the from field to what's specified in ".sentonbehalfof" but it doesn't, say, validate to anything. If you click check names, nothing happens. If you send an email like this it will get sent as shared mailboxe's mail. If you double click the changed email from the from field, it shows the display name of the shared mailbox.

It worked for me once using slightly difference code and i removed the extra code because I thought it wasn't needed. OOps. I'll add the code back and try it again.

Back to the code i used last night when it worked - use this for the reply block.

Dim oAccount As Outlook.Account
Cancel = True
bDiscardEvents = True

For Each oAccount In Application.Session.Accounts
If oAccount = "dianep@outlookmvp.com" Then
oResponse.SendUsingAccount = oAccount
oResponse.Display
End If

Next
bDiscardEvents = False

Set oItem = Nothing

End Sub

Grrr.... i goofed on my testing (had the wrong account selected), so no, this might not work. Damn. Must get more coffee so I pay better attention to what i'm doing. :)

I give up, for now at least. If they never need to send as the shared account, you could remove Send As permission... that will cause replies to default to the user's address.

Status
Not open for further replies.