Can the BCM Database tool be used over VPN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasper90

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Hi, we have a remote server that autoconnects us to it when we are in the office via the wireless network, or we can vpn when working from home. We all use our personal laptops, so not on the same domain. Is there a way I can put the database tool on our server, and access it anytime?

I have tried the typical methods of installing and checked my firewall settings and made sure the tcp port is 5356. Should I be doing something special for the sql server installation? Whenever I try to access the database from my computer, it basically says my computer doesn't have access. When trying to share the database, it only allows me to share it with domain\username (which I don't think I directly log in to at work).

I have access to our remote server directly, but I don't know how to allow my computer access, or if I can somehow log into my domain\username.

Sorry for my non-techie/noob post, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

It can go on the server as long as "remote" server is seen as part of your network and has a local ip address. BCM can't be accessed over the internet, it need to be on local network. It should work over VPN because your computer will be part of the network when you connect.

your account on the server machine needs to be the same as you use to log into your computer - if your username is jasper, you need an account on the SQL server called jasper and you need to use the same password as you use on the laptop - the username and password as passed as the credentials. The domain doesn't matter. Windows 8 with Microsoft accounts won't work - it needs to be a local account.

Hi Diane,

Thank you for your insights! Can you explain or point me to a link on how to create an account on an sql server? I am using SQL 2008 express. I followed these instructions on the username creator. Am I supposed to be logging into the SQL Mgt Studio under my server (Windows authentication) or my computer Jasper (sql server authentication). When creating a login under security, I created the login using the sql server authentication, is that correct? Do I need to click or unclick anything besides what the link provided? Also, do I need to create a credential.

For my firewall, besides the database name, should I be allowing anything else (for my computer and the remote one)?

do you have a non-domain controller server you can use? It might work, but its usually not recommended to install stuff on the DC. Did you try creating a user account and password that is the same as you use on your computer? I'm not sure if the domain will pass more information - i know it will work on a non-DC where you can create local user accounts because i did it (my computer doesn't log into the domain).

I will work with our IT people to see if we can get it setup the way you suggested.

By chance, do you know if I need sql server on both the remote comp and my comp?

Thank you so much for your insights btw!

Yes, you will need to have SQL installed on both the database host and onyour local computer. BCM will install it if its needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J What exactly does the BCM Database tool actually do? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
E BCM Database Tool Using Outlook 2
C My BCM Database is no longer available to be shared with the Database Tool BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
I Can I share BCM V2 Database on 2003 by using BCM Data Admin Tool BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
S Scheduled backup for BCM Database Tool BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
C Cannot seem to use BCM Database Tool on SQL Server 2008 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
J No access to a Database BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
G Windows Update Causes BCM Database Access Problem? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
T Lost access to remote BCM database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
L Cannot Connect to BCM database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 9
A Cannot connect to BCM database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
Diane Poremsky Restoring BCM Database After Upgrading Windows Using Outlook 0
M Modifying BCM Database using Access BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
crazyboy Copying BCM database from backed up mounted image to new drive BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
J Install BCM Client without an local SQl Database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 6
M Sharing of BCM database across the internet BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
Chris Grew Sharing BCM Database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 6
M BCM remote database connection issue BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
C Moving BCM Database to Server Share BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
K BCM - Connecting to Shared Database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
D can you share a bcm database with 2 different versions of windows? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
T BCM database scheme BCM (Business Contact Manager) 5
G "database is not compatible with BCM for Outlook 2013" & more BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
L BCM database not listed BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
J No errors from BCM 2007 but can't see database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
P BCM 2013, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP2), attachment issue n database size BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
T BCM Cannot See Existing Database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
T Shared BCM database on remote server BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
wallisellener Server configuration for BCM 2013 shared database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 15
M BCM in Outlook reports maximum database size to 4GB despite SQL Server 2008 R2 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
D BCM Database Protection BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
M BCM 2010 Cannot Connect to Remote Database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
J Unable to view History items in BCM 2007 shared database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
E Accessing User Defined Fields in BCM Database part 2 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
E [SOLVED] Accessing User Defined Fields in BCM Database part 1 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 9
C Remote BCM database 2010 hosted via Godday SQL Server + access via PC Window 7 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
D Writing to BCM Database from VBA BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
R Missing contacts and Opportunities in BCM 2010 Shared database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
R BCM 2010 error creating offline copy of shared database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
S Restoring Database to BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
C BCM database second user BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
P Download BCM Database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
D Sharing BCM Database with other computers on a network BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
A BCM 2007 restoring database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
A BCM database and Windows 7 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
T Error 'Database msdb cannot be opened' when backing up BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
D Connecting BCM 2007 to a shared BCM 2003 Database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
E How to restore BCM Database after upgrade from Vista to Win7? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
A BCM 2010 & remote database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
A BCM 2007 Shared Database on member Server 2008 in SBS 2008 Domain BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1