mail merging contacts and contact groups. can code achieve this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_malkovich

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hey all. Got Outlook 2013/O365 on Windows 7.

I use Mail Merge all day, everyday. I also have plenty of contact groups. I would love to figure out a way to get Mail Merge to merge contacts AND contact groups in one merge, so that invididual contacts would continue to receive individual emails as usual, but the members of each selected contact group would receive group emails.

Is this remotely possible or am I wishing on a star here?

mr_malkovich

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hey there, thanks for this. This looks good except I also use a macro to insert each contact's name into the respective recipient's email title. How can I achieve this while using the contact group mail merge macro?

mr_malkovich

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
Exchange Server
So I would insert the line of code you just suggested into this macro here from the slipstick article you posted above? Where in the code would I put your new line?

Sub MailMergeDL()
Dim objApp As Outlook.Application
Dim objItem As Outlook.MailItem
Dim objMsg As Outlook.MailItem
Dim objOutlookRecip As Recipient
Dim Recipients As Recipients

Dim i As Integer

Set objApp = Application
Set objItem = objApp.ActiveInspector.CurrentItem

If objItem.Recipients.Count > 0 Then
For i = 1 To objItem.Recipients.Count Set objMsg = objApp.CreateItem(olMailItem)
With objMsg
.HTMLBody = objItem.HTMLBody
.Subject = objItem.Subject
.Recipients.Add objItem.Recipients(i)
End With
For Each objOutlookRecip In objMsg.Recipients
objOutlookRecip.Resolve
Next
objMsg.Display
Next i
End If
' close the merge template without saving
objItem.Close olDiscard 'use olSave to save a draft

Set objItem = Nothing
Set objApp = Nothing

End Sub

mr_malkovich

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
Exchange Server
And do you think it's somehow possible to just select individual contacts as well as contact groups as part of one routine mail merge, then create an email mail merge in a way that individual contacts would continue to receive individual emails as usual, but the members of each selected contact group would receive group emails? And each email title containing the first name of each recipient? The solution outlined in http://www.slipstick.com/developer/send-mail-merge-contact-groups/ will definitely suffice, but doing these kinds of combo contact/contact group mail merges would be a dream come true.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
No, unfortunately you cant use a contact group/dl as a record in a mail merge. You need to use individual contacts.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I'm on my tablet so I can't test it and I'm not 100% sure. Did you try it as is?

mr_malkovich

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
Exchange Server
Finally got a chance to test the macro in http://www.slipstick.com/developer/send-mail-merge-contact-groups/. It works for the most part, except:

1. It creates the emails but I have to hit Send on each. Is there a way to just have them sent directly to the outbox?
2. My signature icons don't make it into the emails. (see pic)
3. Occasionally it will remove the emails associated with the name. For instance, in the pic you'll see that 1146 Miles is a contact group but once the macro creates the email, '1146 Miles' is just text, not a contact group. I have to manually re-add the contact group 1146 Miles to that email to have it sent successfully.

Finally, how would I adjust the macro code so that the FullName field of each contact group appears in each email title where I'd type <Full_Name> so we can personalize these babies?

Exciting...!

Attachments

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
This line: objMsg.Display is set for testing. change display to send when you wan to send it.

If the group is in contacts, outlook *should* resolve it on send. It's actually supposed to resolve it in the code -
For Each objOutlookRecip In objMsg.Recipients
objOutlookRecip.Resolve
Next

I think you can use objItem.GetMember(i).Name to get the DL name. But the merge doesn't support DLs, so you'd need to use bookmarks and VBA to send the name to the body.

I'm not sure on the images - they should work though. I'll have to test it.

mr_malkovich

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
Exchange Server
See the attached pic for the error code I receive when I change objMsg.Display to objMsg.Send.

Where in this code do I insert objItem.GetMember(i).Name in order to have the DL's fullname inserted in each email title? I don't need to send the name to the body, just the email titles.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Merging Word Doc to Outlook creates an e-mail that is bold and underlined Using Outlook 0
D Mail in Sent Items Gone Using Outlook 7
M Managing Gmail "All Mail" sync issues with IMAP Using Outlook 1
GregS Outlook 2016 Sent Mail absent from Sent Mail or Sent Items Folders Using Outlook 8
GregS Why is Outlook 2016 mail in Outlook.com? Using Outlook 1
S Outlook not receiving mail Using Outlook 1
Commodore Outlook (2013) issues with icloud.com mail Using Outlook 0
GregS Outlook 2016 iPhone won't download Outlook 2016 Mail. Using Outlook 0
A Arthur needs help with 2007 Outlook e-mail Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
oliv- How to distinguish whether mail is incoming or outgoing? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
W Receiving mail for account that has been deleted Using Outlook 2
H In outlook 365 POP mail Inbox, email takes a long time or never arrives. Using Outlook 1
Z Add text to auto-forwarded e-mail Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
K HOW TO FIX AOL MAIL ISSUES? Using Outlook 0
O How to prevent CC from showing when creating a new mail? Using Outlook 1
I Junk Mail and PersonMetadata Using Outlook 2
T 3 months of archived e-mail is missing Using Outlook 1
B Outlook - Mail from safe senders list being sent to Spam Folder Using Outlook 0
G Detect Google Drive and OneDrive links in incoming mail Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M Sent mail not showing in Sent Items folder; but they can be found with Search Using Outlook 3
H Outlook 2016 sent over 30 copies of an e-mail with attachments Using Outlook 1
T Missing text in e-mail message after "(Please keep confidential)" Using Outlook 3
Victor_50 Outlook 2013 Custom Contact Form starts with "E-mail 2" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
E Mail sorting view issue Using Outlook 1
D after delete mail, open the next one Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
RBLampert Assigning a newly (re)created e-mail account to a specific .pst data file Using Outlook 2
B Clear Offline Items (Mail Folder) via VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Moving mail to another folder is much slower than before (Office365) Using Outlook 0
A Outlook macro to create search folder with mail categories as criteria Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
N VBA Script to Open highlighted e-mail and Edit Message Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
M Auto-export mail to Excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M Sent mail not showing in my sent folder Using Outlook 9
B iCloud Option to sync contacts, mail, calendar and tasks Using Outlook 5
O Using .OST and .PST mail thru different providers Using Outlook 5
CWM030 Connected accounts mail moved to trash? Exchange Server Administration 16
N Tracking Mail items being moved to folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
Mark Foley Color Categories on IMAP mail lost when installing new Windows 7 workstation Using Outlook 12
E Copying the whole e-mail body into excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S DRAGGING MAIL AND ATTACHMENTS TO CALENDAR Using Outlook 1
D Print attachments automatically and moves the mail to a new folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
P when i move inbox mails to another folder in outlook the mail disappears Using Outlook 1
E Copy e-mail body from outlook and insert into excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
soadfan Outlook won't send e-mail when offline Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 19
E Copying data from e-mail attachement to EXCEL file via macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 38
Peter H Williams How to Move Mail item after processing Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
I How to receive mails on behalf of when sent to group mail? Using Outlook 2
K Delay Send and Mail Merge Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
N Syncing my inbox not working for certain types of mail Using Outlook 9
M Duplicate Primary Mail Accounts outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
S Received mail as part of DL, need to auto-CC the same when replying Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5