How to create a new email with @outlook.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also come near to unsubscribing (if there's such a thing) from this forum. I felt like a total idiot.
I can guarantee you that there are a lot more worse off that you. I've worked with enough clients that i've seen it all - at least twice. If multiple people make the same dumb mistakes, it's outlook's problem, not user error.

I've searched in my Microsoft account as to creating a new email. Or do you mean that I have to create a new Microsoft account per se?
You can do either...

this link should get you into the aliases - account.live.com/names/Manage - i only have two aliases in this test account (don't email it - i rarely check it :)) but could add 3 more. (The contrarytech address from the custom domain program in outlook.com, which they recently axed for the second time)

All messages to any of the aliases hits the inbox - if i use the web interface, replies are from the correct address. Outlook 2016 supports sending mail from the aliases (but AFAIK, not 2013 or earlier). You can use any of the addresses to log into outlook.com or anywhere microsoft accounts are used.

add-aliases.png

This link signup.live.com/signup is used to create another mailbox.

Thank you so much holding in here on this scroll, I mean long thread. I've done the "alias" thingy but there's still something I'm missing. Now please forgive me if you've told me this and for whatever reason, I'm not getting it. Presently I have more than one address and they are outlook.com addresses, the real thing & not the alias ones. It seems (if I remember correctly) I simply went to the Auto Setup and created those. Why is it that I'm still not able to create them now?
I can go here to this link ...
Microsoft account

... but this is only creating a new Microsoft Account, correct? I do see on the bottom of the page on that link "Get a new email address" but again, is that not only another email address just to create the new Microsoft Account?
So let me ask it this way. Easiest way to answer this question is simply "nope" & "yup" ... and if it it is a "yup" then why am I not able to create a new address from the Auto Setup? Thank you for your patience. If you're close to pulling your hair out (or someone else's) I understand! :)

I can go here to this link ...
Microsoft account

... but this is only creating a new Microsoft Account, correct?
Correct.
why am I not able to create a new address from the Auto Setup?
auto account setup in Outlook? Are you 'creating new' or 'adding the mailbox using one of the alias addresses'? Assuming adding the mailbox answer, it *should* work with any of the outlook.com addresses but I'm trying it with my outlook.com address right now and it won't accept the password - not sure if its outlook balking or issues with outlook.com (either could be true).

On the first question.... using my screenshot as an example - you have multiple addresses on that page, correct? Any address that is hosted on the outlook.com server (both of mine are, thanks to the custom domain program)

On that same page, under sign in preferences, if all accounts are enabled for sign in, you can use them as microsoft accounts. Outlook (and other mail apps) can only use outlook.com addresses to set up the account.

I'm creating a new email account (I call it a new email address) right from Auto Account Setup. I've been trying it since I first contacted you and either I get the continual asking for the Password or cannot connect and tries an unecrypted attempt and fails up.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean as to the screenshot. If I'm following you correctly, I have Exchange, outlook & pop but nothing else like what it shows on your as to "other."
Now here ya go ... I just tried creating a new email address from the Auto Account Setup. It went through no problem. It's been days since I saw that work. But then again, it's not working fully. What I mean is, after it created the new email address, I shut down Outlook and started it again but the new address is not showing up in under my email addresses in the Account settings and of course not under my other addresses. From what you're telling me about yourself trying to create a new address and it keeps asking for the Password and now today it went through and not showing up in Outlook, there's something weird with Outlook itself or their servers. What do you think?

Ha! Tried another email address this afternoon and it didn't go through ... just kept asking for the Password. Don't know what happened to the first one I created this morning. It doesn't show anywhere.

Amazing! The email address I created within the Auto Account setup was nothing more than an alias. You no doubt knew that right away! :) Anyway, that's why it was not appearing on the left pane of Outlook. Strange though, it did ask me to shut down Outlook and start it in order for the address to take effect, so therefore I thought I was putting a new address that would show up in Outlook. As far as I can see, this thing is a total mess. No way should creating new email addresses be this difficult but for whatever reason, it sure is proving to be that and more.

Strange though, it did ask me to shut down Outlook and start it in order for the address to take effect, so t
that's because its an exchange account.

Anyway, that's why it was not appearing on the left pane of Outlook.
so it was an alias on an account that is already listed in outlook? i have not tried adding one twice to outlook 2010 and haven't tried in it newer versions recently but i would expect a second data file. Will need to test it...

Ok, here's what I did with help from Microsoft Chat. Somewhere in this thread, you probably told me to do this and I missed it or simply did not follow the instructions. Let me know if you did.
I went to my Microsoft Account and before signing in, it says "No Account? Create one." I understood that to simply mean to create a new Microsoft Account and it took some explaining and convincing from the fellow on this Chat line to get it through my thin skull that it really wasn't. I clicked on that and created the new email address and then went over to Outlook to the Auto Account Setup and entered the same info. The guy told me it might take a few minutes for that to sync. Anyway, I entered that, closed down Outlook and then started it up again and yessssssssssssssssss!!! There that little sucker was, tucked way down at the bottom of the left pane. From what he told me, if I wanted to create another email address with the infamous outlook.com extension, I would do it this way.
Now, did you actually tell me this and was it that I didn't follow or is this something a wee bit different even to yourself? I'm sure after all this, there's a hush all over the world!

I understood that to simply mean to create a new Microsoft Account and it took some explaining and convincing from the fellow on this Chat line to get it through my thin skull that it really wasn't.
You were correct - but every microsoft account has an outlook.com account associated with it (if you choose to use it), so he was correct too. I think i told you at least twice to use that link (but not necessarily in that many words). Part of the problem was the confusion over whether you wanted another account or just another email address on your account.

You are dead on. I was confused (disoriented and weakened in the knees) by what I assumed. That assumption was throwing me off so I couldn't follow what was being said. It's almost sad to bring this another saga to a close. I'm not sure how much hair you've pulled out or how many keyboards you've replaced but it's been a ride. Little wonder I don't have any friends!!! :)

I should have thanked you for your tremendous help, Diane. So permit me to type that now ... thank you for your tremendous help, Diane! :)
Your expertise as usual, is always more than appreciated! :)
(Happy to hear the hair is in tact and the keyboard is still in one piece) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.