Status
Not open for further replies.

Yann Shukor

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Hi

A client of mine is experiencing a strange phenomenon in Outlook 2013 32bit (Windows 7 64bits)

Yesterday he was sorting his emails and moved a few into sub (/sub/sub/...) folders

This morning he tried to access one of these emails, in it's present sub folder, and just as Outlook had finished displaying the contents of this folder, the sought email disappeared before his very eyes ! This isn't the first time he experiences such a behaviour by Outlook

I connected up to his account from my PC using Thunderbird and when I view the contents of the folder mentioned above I see its contents, missing email included

We checked other folders and realized that Outlook, compared with Thunderbird, isn't displaying the entire contents of these folders

I tried to check whether there were any filters enabled in the View menu but couldn't find any (maybe this is configured elsewhere ?)

I copied the missing email to his Inbox and asked him to transfer it back to the desired sub folder again : and now he sees it in its new destination (I however see two copies of it under Thunderbird)

Incidentally the Synchronization error folder contains over fifty thousand errors; should we heed the high quantity of these errors or ignore them ?

Any ideas on what could be causing this Outlook issue ?

Two weeks ago I split his OST file, by archiving part of it to a PST, because the file had reached 28 GB
The created archive is 10 GB in size, while the OST file has now shrunk to 5 GB. I can't explain what happened to the missing difference (13 GB)

thanks
yann

PS
Why does the Office setup install Office in 32bit mode by default (on 64bit systems) ?

Incidentally the Synchronization error folder contains over fifty thousand errors; should we heed the high quantity of these errors or ignore them ?
look at the ones from the last couple of days and see what the errors are - then delete all of them. The older ones are unlikely to be of use - i wouldn't go back more than a couple of days and if the problem still exists, more will be generated. In many cases, the problem is with the deleted items/trash folder or junk folder - the server clears out old messages in those folders but outlook chokes on removing them for some reason. Splitting the data file could also trigger these sync errors.

I'm assuming the sync slider is set to full, so the missing mail isn't on the server because it's older... if there are no folders labeled 'this computer only' in the data file or you back up their contents, you can rename the ost file and let outlook resync to see if the message sync back down.

I can't explain what happened to the missing difference (13 GB)
It was deleted messages that outlook hadn't removed by compacting yet. When you delete something, outlook removes it from the index but leaves the message blob behind - removing it only when the "white space" these blobs use reaches 20% and the computer is idle. When the file is huge, it seems ot struggler with compacting - I've seen a lot of data files that were closer to 50% white space.

Thanks Diane
When we split the OST file we had Outlook recreate the OST file by downloading the data again.
Like I said, when configured to access her account, Thunderbird displays the correct contents of all her folders

I'm not sure what is going on. If no views are set and the message is not marked for deletion (use the imap view to show all), the message should be in Outlook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
N Outlook Forms Not Displaying Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
K Outlook 2010 form is displaying old form layout Using Outlook 3
C Displaying Profile Pictures in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
S Custom Outlook Form 2013 Displaying fields incorrectly Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
T Displaying Shortcuts in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 7
Digitally Hip Outlook 2010 (32) and Exchange 2010 (sp3) sender info not displaying in Outlook Using Outlook 1
N Grid Lines Not Displaying - Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 3
Sarge USMC Outlook 13 not displaying POP inbound emails Using Outlook 12
W Outlook 2010 - Displaying Private Appointments In Shared Calendars Using Outlook 1
G Outlook Intermittent Issue with Drafts not Displaying Entire Content Using Outlook 4
M View in browser stopped displaying .GIFs in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2007 not displaying embedded images in emails Using Outlook 1
B Sent Items Not Displaying in Outlook 2010 Client Using Outlook 2
V Outlook 2007-Tasks not displaying in calendar Using Outlook 4
S Outlook 2007: Shared Tasks not displaying on my To-Do Bar Using Outlook 8
K Outlook 32-bit Connector and Outlook not displaying the folders Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 10
T VSTO Outlook add-in: Categories not displaying correctly Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
L Deleted items not displaying in outlook Using Outlook 2
H Force Outlook 2019 with GMail 2-Step to Require Login? Using Outlook 0
G Retaining Tabs in outlook body Using Outlook 2
V Setting up Outlook 2021 on new computer Using Outlook 2
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
X Custom icon (not from Office 365) for a macro in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Victor_50 Problem - Google Workspace will stop "unsafe" access to Outlook end 2024 Using Outlook 3
C New pc, new outlook, is it possible to import auto-complete emailaddress Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 365 won't take new working password Using Outlook 0
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Can't add custom field to custom Outlook form, it always adds to the Folder instead Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
D Delete Outlook emails from MS server Using Outlook 9
B Outlook tasks and PDF Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2019 is no longer asking for password ... Using Outlook 5
Kika Melo How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com) Using Outlook 3
L Outlook attachments from OneDrive as links Using Outlook 0
G Outlook 365 My iCloud Outlook doesn’t work after reinstalling Microsoft365 on Windows 10 PC – now I get error message on contacts and calendar Using Outlook 1
T How to Export & Import GMAIL Contacts into Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 4
M Synchronization and backup of Outlook from local to server. Using Outlook 8
T How to get an EVENT COLOR option in Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 0
K How can I delete an e-mail from Outlook Using Outlook 1
V Outlook Error The Attempted operation Failed. An Object Could Not be found Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Yahoo/IMAP folder rename by Outlook desktop 365 Using Outlook 0
A Outlook 2019 folder counter Using Outlook 0
A Relocate Search Bar in Outlook Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Need clarification on 2-Step Verification for Gmail using Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 10
L Opening People Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2021 not letting me setup my Gmail using pop Using Outlook 1
Geldner Problem submitting SPAM using Outlook VBA Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P VBA to add email address to Outlook 365 rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M Outlook 2016 outlook vba to look into shared mailbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Can no longer sync Outlook with iPhone calendar after iPhone update to 17.1.1 Using Outlook 7