Assigning a newly (re)created e-mail account to a specific .pst data file

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBLampert

Outlook version
Outlook 2019 64-bit
Email Account
POP3
I'm having to rebuild my Outlook accounts after moving from a "spinner" hard drive to a solid-state one. As I recreate my e-mail accounts, I want to assign each one to an already-existing .pst file on a cloud storage service (Dropbox), rather than on the local SSD so I can access the data from both my desktop and laptop. However, when I create the account, Outlook insists on using the .pst file on the default C: drive. These files were created when the original data was copied from the spinner to the SSD.

Filling the desired drive information in the "Root folder path" box on the "Advanced" tab in "More settings" when creating the account has no effect. And once the data file is assigned, there's no way to change it.

Can I assign an account to a specific .pst right from the start? If so, how?

Is there any way to change the assigned .pst once the account has been created? If so, how?

You can change it later. Add the pst to the profile then in File, Account settings - select the pop account and click Choose folder.

If you use the manual setup option, you can choose the data file to use with the account.

already-existing .pst file on a cloud storage service (Dropbox),
This is not a good idea - outlook keeps a lock on the file when its open. The attempts to sync it may create a ton of temp files, filling up the cloud drive. It can also corrupt the pst and if the changes don't sync faster enough, and you open the other computer, you can lose data.

You can change it later. Add the pst to the profile then in File, Account settings - select the pop account and click Choose folder.

If you use the manual setup option, you can choose the data file to use with the account.

This is not a good idea - outlook keeps a lock on the file when its open. The attempts to sync it may create a ton of temp files, filling up the cloud drive. It can also corrupt the pst and if the changes don't sync faster enough, and you open the other computer, you can lose data.

Hi, Diane. Thanks for the response. I see that this will work for POP accounts, but what about Gmail accounts, which are usually IMAP? If I reconfigure them to work with POP, rather than IMAP, I take it this ability to identify the desired data file will work too.

As for the potential conflict between the desktop and laptop accessing the same file, would that still be a problem given that I use the laptop to access e-mail only when I travel, or in other (rare) situations when I'm not home and the desktop is turned off?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
B Outlook 2019 Automatically move email after assigning category Using Outlook 4
Y Outlook 2013 Stop Outlook from automatically assigning categories to Tasks Using Outlook 0
B VBA Macro for assigning multiple Categories to an email in my Inbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N VBA Outlook reference to Excel and assigning category Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 13
G Tasks not assigning Using Outlook 3
M Assigning a specific font color to new emails using rules when they arrive Using Outlook 3
J Contacts: Assigning followup date by category Using Outlook 2
P Outlook assigning tasks to contacts without e-mail Using Outlook 1
O Assigning a single instance of a recurring task OUTLOOK 2010 Using Outlook 3
M assigning a category during import BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
M Assigning Values to Contact UserProperties Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
T Outlook 365 Move newly created tasks automatically on save. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D.Moore VB script to Digitaly Sign newly created outlook message Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S newly added shared mailboxes downloading 500GB data a day Exchange Server Administration 1
Bri the Tech Guy Run Script rule not running for newly arriving messages Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 25
S how to set user properties to a newly created appointment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 12
P Newly created IMAP subfolders not showing up on email clients away from computer. Using Outlook 3
P Outlook 2013 client not showing newly added Contacts but... Using Outlook 5
M Copy "To" Address Value from a Newly Created Email to the "To" Address Field of Custom Form Using Outlook 4
S Newly added user doesn't show up in GAL but available in OWA, Using Outlook 0
Fozzie Bear Calendar Events created on iPhone have suddenly start sending invitations to attendees Using Outlook 2
J Calendar events created on iPhone automatically changing default alert from 'None' to 'Time of Event' Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
B Outlook 365 Files Being Created with Logging OFF Using Outlook 0
K Multiple copies of task being created Using Outlook 2
V Outlook 2016 Multiple recurring tasks getting created Using Outlook 0
A Created a new user account and the local account cannot see email Using Outlook 3
A Created a personal group that now appears to be a public group Using Outlook 3
S Outlook does not open the .pst file created by the Outlook Using Outlook 5
Carrie Dickey Outlook 2016 created two calendars titled Calendar1 - appear to be a copy Using Outlook 2
Diane Poremsky Display the Created Date field of any Outlook item Using Outlook 0
S my vbscript button1_click code works on appointment created but not on opening an existing apntmn Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 16
M Automatically create event in calendar when task is created Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
makinmyway Appointments Created in iCloud Calendars Cover Contacts Field...Why? Using Outlook 3
M Copy new appointments created in multiple shared calendars to another exchange calendar Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B Saved emails in folders I created on left of screen are being erased as I open each folder Using Outlook 0
E Recurred tasks are created with a wrong due date Using Outlook 0
P Task form created in outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Stompandgo Copied PST file asking for password - but I never created one?! Using Outlook 3
L Save Mail Message to new folder created automatically Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Adding an attachment to email I just created (VBA) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
deonholt Address Book problem and created new profile ... Using Outlook 1
wallisellener created date BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
B Timed events created in iPhone auto-change to All Day events in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
G Manually created Sent Items folder is lost Using Outlook 4
P Created new profile, how do I share existing contacts/calendar? Using Outlook 1
I Outlook 2010 Print Created Date on Drafts Using Outlook 3
J iCloud Calendar/Contacts Syncing Hangs At End - aplzod Data Store Not Created Using Outlook 8
J View the date a contact was created Using Outlook 7
B Date of mail created Using Outlook 1
A No profiles created problem in outlook after clicking outlook icon Using Outlook 0