Outlook settings will not accept a password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maple

Outlook version
Outlook 2021 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
I am trying to add a password to my .pst file.
When I go to Settings/data settings, I am only offered to change my password. The box offers 'old password' which I ignore, and try to enter my password and repeat on the line below. The popup message says my passwords do not match.
Is this the correct place to add a password?

If you are on this dialog, its the write place. Try typing the password in notepad, copy it then paste in the password field.
1649465460575.png

Thankyou for your response Diane.
My problem is that I am trying, for the first time, to add a password (not change a password)
I need to do this as my computer has an intermittent startup problem and I need to protect my data while the machine is out for repair.

The process is the same - leave the old password field blank and add the password to the new / verify password fields.

As an FYI - password protecting a pst is not very secure.

The process is the same - leave the old password field blank and add the password to the new / verify password fields.

As an FYI - password protecting a pst is not very secure.
Thanks so much Diane. However although I used the copy and paste entry, it was not accepted.
Thanks also for your reminder about the insecurity of the password.
As long as I can choose the time (!) of the trip for for the repair, I will remove my .pst file before handing the computer over.

Still the same 'passwords not matching' error? It definitely should work - I just tried it on a pst here and it worked, so Microsoft didn't break it.

Still the same 'passwords not matching' error? It definitely should work - I just tried it on a pst here and it worked, so Microsoft didn't break it.
Diane I am so grateful for your troubleshooting this problem
I think I may have fixed this. Early last year I was using a password with Outlook. I found the password in my Password safe, and applied it to the 'Old password' field and it accepted the new password! Hooray - Err I think :)

One last question. Despite accepting this new password setting , my machine opened without the password. Do I have to activate it?

I've solved this.
When I added the new password ( data file/change password) I ticked the box to save the password. As was pointed out to me the computer will then save the password, thus will not prompt for it at Outlook startup!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
O How to find out the domain and server settings that my Outlook is using? Using Outlook 2
HarvMan Outlook 365 loses "outlook.com" exchange server settings Using Outlook 1
L Recommendations for Utility to Backup Outlook 365 Account Settings Using Outlook 2
M Issue transferring Outlook 2016 email accounts & settings onto new computer Using Outlook 8
G Personal Settings within Outlook Using Outlook 2
David Langer Store my Outlook settings in the cloud - Broken Using Outlook 4
M Outlook 2016 Free/Busy settings ignored Using Outlook 0
S Reboot of frozen windows7 results in changed outlook 2007 settings Using Outlook 1
T Migrating Profile/Account Settings To New PC for Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 2
J Outlook 2016 - Tasks View Settings Missing Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2010 - Reading Pane and To Do Bar Settings Not Saved on Exit Using Outlook 2
O Outlook 2003 can't send, but settings seem OK Using Outlook 1
F Missing "More Settings" in Outlook 2007 Professional Using Outlook 8
E Moving autoarchive settings to new computer (Outlook 2007) Using Outlook 1
B Outlook 2007 Save Current View,Font,Toolbar Settings Using Outlook 6
O Outlook 2013 not holding bottom navigation settings Using Outlook 10
I Reconfigure standard Outlook settings on all machines Using Outlook 0
M authentication settings for outlook for mac 2011 Using Outlook 1
H Hotmail set not to delete from other accounts, but did. Settings in Outlook? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
V Changing Outlook settings Using Outlook 0
D Cannot open Outlook 2011 Account Settings Using Outlook 2
S Imap settings when outlook PST larger than server capacity Using Outlook 1
P Setting Hotmail Junk Mail Settings from Outlook Doesn't Work Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
S transfer email account settings from Outlook 2007 to 2010 Using Outlook 5
H Where does Outlook 2007 save the default reminder settings? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
V Outlook 2007: How to read/write Out-of-Office settings Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
A Outlook can't remember outlook.com, Exchange password. Using Outlook 0
S Related messages show in main Outlook window vice new Advanced Find windows Using Outlook 1
H Force Outlook 2019 with GMail 2-Step to Require Login? Using Outlook 0
G Retaining Tabs in outlook body Using Outlook 2
V Setting up Outlook 2021 on new computer Using Outlook 2
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
X Custom icon (not from Office 365) for a macro in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Victor_50 Problem - Google Workspace will stop "unsafe" access to Outlook end 2024 Using Outlook 3
C New pc, new outlook, is it possible to import auto-complete emailaddress Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 365 won't take new working password Using Outlook 0
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Can't add custom field to custom Outlook form, it always adds to the Folder instead Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
D Delete Outlook emails from MS server Using Outlook 12
B Outlook tasks and PDF Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2019 is no longer asking for password ... Using Outlook 5
Kika Melo How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com) Using Outlook 3
L Outlook attachments from OneDrive as links Using Outlook 0
G Outlook 365 My iCloud Outlook doesn’t work after reinstalling Microsoft365 on Windows 10 PC – now I get error message on contacts and calendar Using Outlook 1
T How to Export & Import GMAIL Contacts into Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 4
M Synchronization and backup of Outlook from local to server. Using Outlook 8
T How to get an EVENT COLOR option in Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 0
K How can I delete an e-mail from Outlook Using Outlook 1
V Outlook Error The Attempted operation Failed. An Object Could Not be found Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0