Strange save request when closing Outlook 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

escamoteur

Hi,

when changing one specific custom prop on a Custom Form Region inspector and then closing the inspector without saving, I get twice

a dialog asking if I want to save changes when closing Outlook but there is no inspector open at this time.

Any idea??

Best

Tom

Save the item before closing the Inspector, that should solve the problem.

That can happen if there's any code in event handlers such as Inspector or

item.Close() or Write() or a number of other functions. Just because you

don't see the Inspector still it was open and is now closing and is firing

those prompts.

"escamoteur" <mail@burkharts.net> wrote in message

news:0ED22614-C9C9-4D42-A150-A2D9BAB34EEE@microsoft.com...
> Hi,

> when changing one specific custom prop on a Custom Form Region inspector
> and then closing the inspector without saving, I get twice a dialog asking
> if I want to save changes when closing Outlook but there is no inspector
> open at this time.

> Any idea??

> Best
> Tom

Hmmm, but I if the user decides not to save his changes this should be possible. Also it only happens when I change a specific

field.

Even If I wait quite a time before closing outlook after closing the inspector I don't get this requests, only on closing Outlook.

Normaly I should get the request when I close the inspector.

Is there any way to get all changed and not saved items listed?

Best

Tom
<kenslovak@mvps.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:OUdffBVMKHA.4964@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Save the item before closing the Inspector, that should solve the problem.

> That can happen if there's any code in event handlers such as Inspector or item.Close() or Write() or a number of other functions.
> Just because you don't see the Inspector still it was open and is now closing and is firing those prompts.

> >

>

> "escamoteur" <mail@burkharts.net> wrote in message news:0ED22614-C9C9-4D42-A150-A2D9BAB34EEE@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
>

>> when changing one specific custom prop on a Custom Form Region inspector and then closing the inspector without saving, I get
> > twice a dialog asking if I want to save changes when closing Outlook but there is no inspector open at this time.
>

>> Any idea??
>

>> Best
> > Tom

>

That is due to a flag that's probably set about your item and it wasn't

fully released by Outlook. I've seen that sort of thing sometimes,

especially if there's code in a custom form as well as in an addin and both

are working on the same item.

In Outlook 2007 there's an Unload() event that fires when Outlook finally

unloads an item from its internal cache, that event can fire long after the

item was closed. I think that's related also to what you're seeing.

You really only have a few choices. You definitely should go over your code

to see what if anything your code changes and which of the events such as

Close() and Write() you're handling. You can also make use of saving an item

and closing it with olDiscard as an argument.

What I usually do, and it works in the majority of cases but not 100% is to

hold a flag for when I save an item using code and I work with that in any

Write() event handler. If I called Write() I take certain steps and if the

user forced Write() I take different steps. I can check the flag and also

the Saved property of the item when it's being closed and decide on actions

to take such as saving or using olDiscard, and if necessary and the item was

saved but I want to discard it I can get EntryID and find it in Drafts and

delete it.

"escamoteur" <mail@burkharts.net> wrote in message

news:D1067DC4-2889-498E-8F20-7DA625DAF8D9@microsoft.com...
> Hmmm, but I if the user decides not to save his changes this should be
> possible. Also it only happens when I change a specific field.

> Even If I wait quite a time before closing outlook after closing the
> inspector I don't get this requests, only on closing Outlook. Normaly I
> should get the request when I close the inspector.

> Is there any way to get all changed and not saved items listed?

> Best
> Tom

I tried everything you mentioned. I even removed any of mine registered events but still the same happened. Finally I now found a no

longer used and unbound custom property field on my form region.

Many thanks

Tom
<kenslovak@mvps.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:uZ0okMVMKHA.1236@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> That is due to a flag that's probably set about your item and it wasn't fully released by Outlook. I've seen that sort of thing
> sometimes, especially if there's code in a custom form as well as in an addin and both are working on the same item.

> In Outlook 2007 there's an Unload() event that fires when Outlook finally unloads an item from its internal cache, that event can
> fire long after the item was closed. I think that's related also to what you're seeing.

> You really only have a few choices. You definitely should go over your code to see what if anything your code changes and which of
> the events such as Close() and Write() you're handling. You can also make use of saving an item and closing it with olDiscard as
> an argument.

> What I usually do, and it works in the majority of cases but not 100% is to hold a flag for when I save an item using code and I
> work with that in any Write() event handler. If I called Write() I take certain steps and if the user forced Write() I take
> different steps. I can check the flag and also the Saved property of the item when it's being closed and decide on actions to take
> such as saving or using olDiscard, and if necessary and the item was saved but I want to discard it I can get EntryID and find it
> in Drafts and delete it.

> >

>

> "escamoteur" <mail@burkharts.net> wrote in message news:D1067DC4-2889-498E-8F20-7DA625DAF8D9@microsoft.com...
> > Hmmm, but I if the user decides not to save his changes this should be possible. Also it only happens when I change a specific
> > field.
>

>> Even If I wait quite a time before closing outlook after closing the inspector I don't get this requests, only on closing
> > Outlook. Normaly I should get the request when I close the inspector.
>

>> Is there any way to get all changed and not saved items listed?
>

>> Best
> > Tom

>

Status
Not open for further replies.