Font size too large on received emails in outlook 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbundock

When I receive an email the font size in the reading pane is excessivley large. This is causing HTML emails that contain images to break apart and become unreadable. The ctrl / scroll wheel zoom has no effect as this also zooms the images alongside the text. I am also running Outlook 2010 on another machine which is fine with all emails rendering correctly with the text at the correct size.

Are you sure you are not zoomed in beyond 100%? Look at the bottom right - there's a slider with - and + buttons to control the zoom in the Reading Pane.(P.S. Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it has helped you)

Thanks for the reply but no the zoom is at 100%. Besides even if I change this to a lower zoom then it scales the whole email proportionatly including the images, therefore the emails still remain disjointed.

I'm stumped. Anyone else have any ideas?(P.S. Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it has helped you)

So does anyone else have any ideas. I even tried uninstalling the entire Office suite and reinstalling it, but with still no effect.

:-(

Try opening outlook in safe mode and check if it helps

To start outlook in safe mode hold the ctrl key and then click on the outlook icon .

If starting outlook in safe mode helps try search for a file by name views.dat and renaming it.

Thanks Surya but still no joy.... No difference in starting in safe mode. I tried renaming the views.dat file anyway but this had no effect on the text size of the reading pane.

Try the following steps and check if it helps.

Try creating a new profile in outlook and check if it helps. If the profile in corrupted creating a new profile would resolve the issue.

To create a new profile refer:www.support.microsoft.com/kb/829918

Hi dbundock, did you ever find a solution to this problem, I have a client that is also having a very simular issue. It was fine before he updated to outlook 2010. some parts of the email are normal size (ie signature) the main body comes in as a font of about arial 100..

I am also experiencing this (highly annoying) issue. Some emails from some senders come in with a font of Arial 100.

I tried starting in safe mode, and that did not help.

Here's some images of the issue, if that helps you to understand the severity of the problem.

http://twitpic.com/2z2h4k

http://twitpic.com/2z2hca

Apparently many people with Outlook 2010 are having this issue, can you offer some advise or provide a fix as soon as possible?

Thanks

Joe

I am also experiencing this (highly annoying) issue. Some emails from some senders come in with a font of Arial 100.

Is the font actually 100 pt or does it just look it? If HTML, check the message source; plain text is set in File, Options Mail, Stationery and Fonts. In almost every case I've seen, it was the zoom setting causing issues - although it looks like your zoom is set to 100%. (You could zoom down so it doesn't blast your eyes. :))

Is the message HTML or plain text? Cause #2 is a goofy point size for plain text in the font dialog - this usually only affects plain text since many HTML messages use CSS to control size.

Picture 2 reveals that the message is in HTML format.

Is this issue reproducable always for the same senders or does it happen at random?

If this issue always happens for messages from the same senders, then I would expect something wrong at the sender's end. A common cause for HTML messages to become corrupted is because of virus scanners integrating with Outlook at either the sender's side or yours. See http://www.msoutlook.info/question/20

After disabling the virus scanner integration, ask the sender to send the message again.

Do you know which mail client the sender is using? Ask if the sender can send you a message via their web mail and see if it still happens now.

Robert Sparnaaij

It is actually font size 100 pt (as opposed to 10pt). I can tell this because if I reply, I can edit the font settings. My zoom is at 100%, I tried playing with that already.

It appears it only happens with HTML messages, and only from certain senders. It may be that it only happens when there are embedded images in the email, but I can't say that with certainty.

THanks!

It is reproduceable from certain senders. But it doesn't happen in all their emails, only certain ones.

The sender is mailing to multiple recipients, all of whom see the message normally (I'm the only 'pioneer' on Outlook 2010). The sender is using Outlook 2003.

I'll try disabling the virus scanner.

Thanks,

Joe

Hello,

Has anybody managed to find a workaround or resolution to this issue yet?

I can also confirm this problem comes occurs on 2 client computers running Win7Pro x64. Both have Office 2010 installed with all available updates. It's not the sender. This appears to be a Microsoft Outlook 2010 issue. I will contribute, however, for the record that both of these computers are running AVG Free.

Jason

Hello,

Has anybody managed to find a workaround or resolution to this issue yet?

I can also confirm this problem comes occurs on 2 client computers running Win7Pro x64. Both have Office 2010 installed with all available updates. It's not the sender. This appears to be a Microsoft Outlook 2010 issue. I will contribute, however, for the record that both of these computers are running AVG Free.

Jason

Disable the AVG addin and test. Also opening Outlook in Safe mode. (Hold Ctrl as you click on the Outlook icon to start in Safe mode.) If the situtation is the same as p1nt's, something in outlook is actually changing the message source so you need to disable all addins and enable them one at a time to test.

We know AVG 2011 has some 'issues' with outlook - it may have more issues than previously known and for this reason, i would start with that. If it doesn't help with new messages, use safe mode and see if the problem returns. (AVG itself is fine, its the addin that enabled email scanning that is the problem.)

Note that messages already corrupted will not be fixed - but new messages should be ok.

I have this problem as well. I am not running AVG 2011 but rather CA Security Center - free from RoadRunner. I have had the problem come in from AOL users as well as Outlook Exchange users. Incredibly frustrating.

I have this problem as well. I am not running AVG 2011 but rather CA Security Center - free from RoadRunner. I have had the problem come in from AOL users as well as Outlook Exchange users. Incredibly frustrating.

The same troubleshooting step still applies; disable CA Security Center's Outlook integration component and try again (and then report back your findings here).

Robert Sparnaaij

I have seen this on several computers. I think it occurs when Outlook 2010 receives email sent from a system running Outlook 2002. Don't have a fix, but I see this pattern. I could use a fix for this, too.

Willing to try anything . . . just recently upgraded to Office 2010 and never had this problem with Office 2007.

How do you disable the CA Security Center Outlook integration? I looked on the Add-in tab and don't see anything there.

Status
Not open for further replies.