Sorting of existing contact in Outlook 2003 just will not sort

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambmclean

Recently something happened to the sorting of my contacts in Outlook2003 and now they are First name Last name, when before I had them sorted Last name, First Name. However, a select few of my contacts didn't lose their formatting and are showing up in the format I desire being Last name, First name. I've tried everything such as going to Tools>Email Accounts>View or change existing directories or address books>Address Book>Change>Show names by "File as (Smith, John)>Finish. This is the option I have checked. I've closed Outlook and restarted but yet it will not sort as I told it.

When I click on a contact that is sorted First name Last name...the file as says "Last name, First name" but yet it doesn't file that way. I also tried Tools>Options>Contact Options and Default "Full name" order is set to Last Name and Default "File as" order is set to Last, First.

I do not understand what I am doing wrong and I can't find anywhere on the internet where someone has had the same problem I am dealing with. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Did you manage to sort this. I have exactly the same problem and it is driving me mad!

Is this in the Address book (you see it when you press the To button) or in the Contacts folder itself?

From the description above, it sounds like the contacts have the name fields backwards - this is not unusual when contacts are imported and it can also happen when syncing from a smartphone to outlook.

There are two places to check settings - in your case (with Outlook 2010) File, Account Settings, Address book. Double click on Outlook address book to choose First last or FileAs format.

File, Options, Contacts lets you set the default Full name order and the default FileAs order. These settings apply only to new contacts. If the name is entered as Last, First (with the comma) Outlook ignores the default order and assumes the order is Last First.

If any contacts have the name in the wrong order, you need to change existing contacts yourself. There is a macro to (change the file as format) If the full name order is not right (click the Full name button on an open contact to check it), you need to change that yourself, I don't have a macro (although the fileas macro could probably be changed easily enough).

Screenshots of the two dialogs are in Address and Contact options - the second and third sections would apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Outlook 2016 Arrange tasks by date, additional custom sorting, but still use friendly terms like Today, Tomorrow, This week? Using Outlook 1
M Sorting by Day in Date Column Advanced Filter BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
E Mail sorting view issue Using Outlook 1
P Is there any way of sorting the task list in CALENDAR view? Using Outlook 4
M Sorting messages by read/unread status Using Outlook 8
B How do I REALLY disable Outlook Junk E-mail sorting in OL2010 and/or 2013? Using Outlook 1
D Question re: Grouping by Due Date vs. Sorting by Due Date Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2013 Sorting and grouping on 2 date fields Using Outlook 1
M Sorting "sent emails" is not logical. Is there a better way. Using Outlook 4
D Macro for sorting email according to sender and subject Using Outlook 0
S Sorting by combined categories in Outlook Using Outlook 1
M 2010: sorting by ORIGINAL send date Using Outlook 1
R Sorting and crossing over project tasks in project window (BCM 2010) BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
B Sorting suggested times in room finder Using Outlook 1
P Sorting Task List so tasks with no due date end up at the bottom Using Outlook 4
Q Sorting tasks by calculated field - automatically update task-fiel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
G Apply Custom Contacts form to all existing Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
L Applying new form to existing contacts -- MessageClass Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
wayneame Changing the Form Used by Existing Task Items in a Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
O In Agenda-view - How to copy an existing item months ahead or back? Using Outlook 0
O Unable to make changes to an existing Calendar entry Using Outlook 11
M add new attendee to existing meetings with VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
N Can't create NEW GROUP and add/remove a member from existing Group in Outlook Using Outlook 1
P Print attachments automatically and move the mail to an existing folder called "Ted" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
J Deliver new messages to New or Existing Data File? Using Outlook 2
O Outlook 365 - How to create / copy a new contact from an existing one? Using Outlook 5
Dave A Run macro on existing appointment when it changes Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Add Exchange Account as Secondary to Existing PST? Exchange Server Administration 1
J Updating existing entry on shared calendar wants to send update from delegate Using Outlook 0
R Using "check for duplicates" for existing contacts Using Outlook 2
S SendFromAccount - Problem trying to test existing value in open email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J Add Fillable Fields to Existing Template Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Add Exchange Account to existing POP3 Outlook 2007 Profile Using Outlook 0
M Dilemma: to add to existing data file or not to? Using Outlook 16
S my vbscript button1_click code works on appointment created but not on opening an existing apntmn Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 16
Bachelle Macro to Update Existing Task from New Email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
N Select Existing BCM Business Contact in C# application Using Outlook 0
Q Custom Contact Form - applied to existing contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
P Restoring old sbb database in existing one BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
T Using DistListItem.AddMember for existing DL Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
E Getting IMAP email into existing pst file Using Outlook 6
K Excel Import Option: Need Help Updating Existing Records BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
M Extract text in existing message body for use in newmail items Using Outlook 17
D Update existing rule using VBA Using Outlook 2
T BCM Cannot See Existing Database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
S Prompt to add for text to existing subject line before sending. Using Outlook 9
M Open new outlook form from within existing outlook form using command button Using Outlook 4
A Cannot edit or open existing contact nor add new ones. BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
P Created new profile, how do I share existing contacts/calendar? Using Outlook 1
C How to Set Existing Contacts to Custom Form Using Outlook 2