1. Here's a thread that needs an answer: Outlook custom fields "events"
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Contact Form - applied to existing contacts

Discussion in 'Outlook VBA and Custom Forms' started by Quentin P, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Quentin P

Quentin P

I have created a couple of custom forms over the years to add contacts to Outlook. Now I'm on 2013 32 bit.

My latest form does a little calculation to create a default greeting field for Christmas cards - "The [Last Name} Family" - so every time I create a contact it does this, and if I want to change it to "Ann and Bob" I can, of course. Then when I mailmerge address labels we're all set.

All my existing contacts open with their previous default form. Can I apply this new form to them?

Does this even make sense? [I am semi-technical and confused about where the data actually 'lives' - in the form, or in a database somewhere that is queried by that form - which might make my question moot.]

Many thanks!
    Q

As a PS my custom form contacts have the pinned post-it icon instead of the vcard - is there a way to change this? I've seen the question asked in several places but not answered.

The quality of responses here is so high I am very hopeful. Many thanks indeed!

2. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

3. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

Oh, and on the icon, set the icon on the (Properties) page of the forms designer.
    The default location for icons is path-to-office\FORMS\1033 where 1033 is the US English language code. If not using US english, it will be a different #.

For 2013, it could be
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office15\FORMS\[language code]or
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office15\FORMS\[language code]

4. Quentin P

Quentin P

That is awesome, thanks so much. DocMessageCLass works great. I have been designing, reassigning and designing.

5. Jagstyles

Jagstyles

Following up on this older post, anyone know where the newer looking individual contact icons are stored? When I try using the above location, only the older looking contact icons are available. Outlook 2016 has newer looking individual contact icons I'd like to use. Any suggestions?

6. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

Some of the newer images are not in the ico files, they are compiled into dlls. You could extract and save them as ico's to use in the form.