Create a custom contact form - questions before messing things up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofw62

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I am seeking a way to create a custom entry form for Outlook 365 Contacts. This is something totally new to me, so I'd like to ask a few questions before messing things up.

1) Going into Contacts > Create New Contact - I would like to save / backup that form first, as a fallback. Will that then be Publish > enter a name, like ContactsBackup ?
2) Then I would like to remove all component that I won't be using from the default template and add others (see screenshot, yellow part)
3) and a few custom fields

Publish it to a new name, to be used in future.

Would this all be possible?
and
I noticed that matters in the default layout are positioned differently from the the one in the 'design mode'.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Outlook Contact Form Design mode-10042020 150203.png

1) Going into Contacts > Create New Contact - I would like to save / backup that form first, as a fallback. Will that then be Publish > enter a name, like ContactsBackup ?
as in backup the default form? No need to - you won't mess it up.
2) Then I would like to remove all component that I won't be using from the default template and add others (see screenshot, yellow part)
Not a problem. Select and delete. The user defined fields can be deleted to, if there is no delete button at the bottom of the page, delete them from field chooser.

When you customize the form, you lose the eye candy aspect and revert to the old outlook 2002 format that you see in the designer - you can't avoid it, unfortunately.

Thank you so much Diane.
Ehm...
Regretfully I still am not sure. What I meant to say : when I delete the components, with red cross on the right, then, I guess, the layout (on the left) is gone as well(?)
It is not something I want to try it out before knowing what damage I might be doing.
Also, I notice that there are a number of tabs, P2, P3, P4...
What are they being used for?
(BTW, I know you have a tutorial on your site, but think there is no answer on the above newbie questions there)

Regretfully I had no time to go on with the custom form for contacts. Sorry for the delay.

Today I managed to create one and it looks (and also seems to work) like the way I want it.
Have set it to be default when adding a new contact. All that is okay. Well, that is to say, I -thought- it was okay...

Stumbled over two/three issues though and I am seeking advice on that.

In the design mode, All Contacts Fields, I run short on 2 'User Fields' (there are 4 predefined). I created some 'user defined fields' myself.
Whilst this is fine, these user defined fields are stored in a different group, i.e. not in the 'All Contacts Fields' group.
As a test I added 1 contact and exported that contact to a .csv file.
Most data is there, but not the data from own user defined fields. So, probably I should not be using those if I want to export data to .csv, but better stick to the predefined fields.
OTOH I still need these 'extra' fields.

Q: Is there any other method to have one or two extra fields from the 'All Contacts Fields' ?
I am not sure if it is possible, but select an unused predefined field and change its properties so as to become a user defined field.
For example: select field 'Children', which is free text, then rename the field name into my own.
What do I need to do with its (advanced) properties?

Thanks!

Hm ... When exporting to .csv - the full name gets additional percentage signs.
Have searched on Internet and found some threads in Microsoft's answers forum, but regretfully not the solution.

Do you have any idea?

SnagIt-20042020 114703.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J How to create a user defined dropdown list field for a custom contact form Using Outlook 3
J PSA: How to create custom keyboard shortcut for "Paste Unformatted Text" in Outlook on Windows Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C Create Meeting With Custom Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S Create a clickable custom column field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
D create an html table in outlook custom form 2010 using vba in MsAccess Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
G How do I create a custom pick list in VB for an outlook automated email? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
L Create Custom Form Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Create a custom field for Outlook messages Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Create a Custom Numbering Field for Outlook messages Using Outlook 0
I Create custom Outlook 2013 Rule in Office 365 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
T Create custom calendar entry form... Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
S Create a custom "Send" Button Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
E Create a URL hyperlink in an Outlook custom form? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R Can I create custom subgroups on the ribbon? Using Outlook 5
D Create additional custom flag descriptions (other than Send E-Mail, Call etc.) Using Outlook 1
O Outlook 2010 - How to create custom Group By Arrangements for email Using Outlook 3
P Create appointment to custom (shared) outlook calendar Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
C How to create a custom 'View Type' Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
Q How do I create a custom action for a rule? (Save as "Nfy.MSG") Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
B Modify VBA to create a RULE to block multiple messages Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
J Want to create a button on the nav bar (module add-in) to run code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B How to create a button that sorts and selects the most recent message with ONE click Using Outlook 2
W Create a Quick Step or VBA to SAVE AS PDF in G:|Data|Client File Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Wotme create email only data file Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 365 Help me create a Macro to make some received emails into tasks? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J How to create a drop down user defined field that will appear on an inbox view Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
Commodore Any way to create "from-only" account on Outlook 2021? Using Outlook 1
L Capture email addresses and create a comma separated list Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
N Can't create NEW GROUP and add/remove a member from existing Group in Outlook Using Outlook 1
NVDon Create new Move To Folder list Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
D Create advanced search (email) via VBA with LONG QUERY (>1024 char) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
G Create ordinal numbers for birthday Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
O Outlook 365 - How to create / copy a new contact from an existing one? Using Outlook 5
D Create new email from the received Email Body with attachment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
A How to create fixed signatures for aliases that process through GMAIL? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Can I create a Rule that sends me an email when I get a Task? Using Outlook 2
M How create a Rule to filter sender's email with more that one @ sign Using Outlook 1
B Can I create a local PST file for SPAM on a drive that is usually disconnected? Using Outlook 3
Chiba Create an appointment for all the members Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
L automaticaly create a teams meeting with a sync Using Outlook 0
D Can Exchange Admin Center create a pst for users email/contacts/calendar? Exchange Server Administration 0
S Create A Search Folder That Looks For Message Class? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
F How to create phone number as links in notes of Contacts Using Outlook 2
Nessa Can't create new appointment Using Outlook 1
A Create date folder and move messages daily Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C Create new Message with shared contacts & BCC'ing recipients Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
O Multiple email accounts - hesitate to create a new profile Using Outlook 3
G Can't create Folder Groups in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 0
N Outlook rules don't create a copy for bcc'ed emails Using Outlook 3