disabled cached mode, but Outlook still using OST

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallIT

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hi,

I have a site which uses Outlook 2003 in cached mode, this was enforced via Group Policy. Due to issues with large OSTs I wish to revert back to non-cached.

I have changed the GPO to disable cached mode, but the effect is not what we desire.

Although the two cached settings within the mail profile are no longer ticked, Outlook is still referencing the OST file when running. From Googling this, it appears Outlook continues to cache the calendar (and possibly contacts). This is confirmed if I close Outlook, delete the OST file, then start Outlook. It creates a new smaller OST files (containing presumably just the Calendar).

I really need to stop Outlook connecting to the existing OST as they are huge and easily corruptible. We frequently get errors about 'Outlook did not close down properly and is checking files for errors'.

So, the only way I have found to get around this is to create a new mail profile from scratch and add the registry key NoOST (taken from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/276248). This forces Outlook to not create an OST at startup.

However, this isn't practical as the user loses any Outlook settings, and more importantly they loose their autocomplete for nicknames (.NK2).

I guess doing all of the above is scriptable? Any other help or suggestions to disable cache and stopping Outlook create a new OST on the existing mail profile?

Thanks.

Did you remove cached mode in the profile itself? From memory - tools, account settings - double click on the account then more settings. Find the option to not use cached mode and also disable the ost.

This screenshot is from Outlook 2010, but I recall the disalog didn't change much over the years.

disable-offiline.jpg

BTW, I'm not sure if this is scriptable - but one solution might be to remove the account and replace it (possibly using a PRF) - the profile is not touched, so the NK2 and other customizations remain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A iCloud Outlook Add In is causing Outlook 2021 to crash and got disabled Using Outlook 10
I Creating meeting invite with disabled tentative button Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
B VBA environment disabled Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Outlook 2010 disabled macros Using Outlook 2
B Outlook Toolbar disabled Using Outlook 1
K E-mail account disabled. Now I can't see the e-mails i've received for 2 weeks Using Outlook 1
B W7OL2010 Changed to imap, disabled old account, what to do about my calendar? Using Outlook 4
L Macros disabled in custom Outlook form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N Macro Editor disabled Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Z Outlctl disabled (Outlook2007 SP2) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Macros have been disabled error Message with Custom forms Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 17
S show icon while toolbar button is disabled. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M VSTO 2007 Addin auto-disabled on one machine but not another on installation? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
T Outlook 2007 Indexing Options and Advanced Search options disabled Using Outlook 5
V Macros suddenly disabled Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Macros Disabled in Outlook 2007 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 9
A Online Mode to Cached Exchange Mode problem Using Outlook 2
A Outlook 2016 in Cached Mode Using Outlook 1
N Shared mailbox in cached mode Using Outlook 0
L Outlook Office 365 cached mode crashing Using Outlook 0
L how to set downloaded cached emails Using Outlook 5
J Cached mode no longer works with NTLM authentication Exchange Server Administration 0
R Microsoft Outlook 2010 - Non Cached Mode Using Outlook 0
B Configure Outlook so Exchange uses cached mode but new items are by default saved to Outlook.com Using Outlook 1
P Where are the cached emails stored? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
R Mailto link inside Outlook 2010 being cached? Using Outlook 1
P Reply All does not work in Outlook 2010 Cached mode Using Outlook 4
N Email Stuck in Outbox - Cached Mode - Roaming Profile Using Outlook 2
U Cached mode additional mailboxes Using Outlook 2
K Outlook Cached Mode - can't create rules to move email to another mailbox Using Outlook 2
S Cached Exchange Mode and roaming users Using Outlook 5
P Outlook 2010 search of PST files doesn't work unless in cached mode Using Outlook 3
P Migrate profile - cached mode setting Using Outlook 2
S Unable to enumerate Mailboxes in NON Cached Mode (if more than 2) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
W Receiving messages in offline mode Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
F "This action is not available in the current mode" Using Outlook 0
C Outlook 2016 Username Not Working in Scheduling Assistant (Cache Mode) Using Outlook 0
P Categorise emails on sending - macro not working in Preview mode Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Say No! to Compatibility Mode Using Outlook 0
oliv- "Online mode with Exchange server" vs "online" Exchange Server Administration 2
Diane Poremsky Outlook Only Starts in Safe Mode? Using Outlook 0
R Outlook won't run except in Safe mode problem Using Outlook 5
P Outlook in safe mode Using Outlook 2
TMok Outlook 2010 nop responds after I resumed the Wins8 from sleep mode Using Outlook 0
J BCM Crashing with Add-in Enabled in User Mode BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
R Outlook Cache Mode Terminalserver disable through Registry Using Outlook 1
G Why won't VBA see a copied calendar in cache mode anymore? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 20
2 How to use outlook 2003 calendar in always offline mode Using Outlook 0
Jennifer Murphy Sync RSS feed message after Safe Mode Using Outlook 3
K Following Several Power Cuts Can Only work in Safe Mode Using Outlook 0