Status
Not open for further replies.

boblc123

Outlook version
Outlook on the web
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hello all,

I'm new here. I've recently been moved to a LAN Admin position so I'm still wet behind the ears. One of my first assignments is to figure this out.

We are running OWA from Exchange 2003. We have users running all different versions of IE (6, 7 and 8). Users running IE 6 can go to our OWA site and login with username and password only. However, IE 7 and 8 users are unable to login this way. If they type in their username and password, the pop up box comes back with mail.domain.com/username. If the user changes it to domain\username, it will let them login. Why are they being forced to enter a domain name when using IE 7 and 8, but not with 6?

Everything I've looked up seems to point to changes needing to be made on the Exchange server. However, this has to be an IE issue since it's only affecting IE 7 and 8. As a test, I took a user running IE 6 that was not experiencing the problem--then I upgraded them to IE 8 and the problem started. I then downgraded them back to IE 6 and the problem stayed. Then, I went into Internet Options and reset IE back to defaults and it started working fine again.

Any clue?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Also, if you haven't already, put the owa site in the trusted zone.

In IE's Tools, options-

Security tab: Check the browser security settings - near the bottom of the security options are authentication options. Compare the settings in the browsers.

Advanced: Is windows intergrated security enabled? (in the last section)

boblc123

Outlook version
Outlook on the web
Email Account
Exchange Server
I think it worked! I went into the Tools>Internet Options>Security. Highlighted Trusted Sites and clicked "custom level".

At the bottom under Logon" it was set to Login when on Intranet. I changed it to "auto login with user name and password" (this was how the IE 6 machine was set).

That seemed to fix it. I really appreciate all of your help!!

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Glad to point you in the right direction - and thanks for sharing what worked. It should help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Martull Forced signature when multiple accounts exist Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
N In Outlook 2007 a huge percentage of emails I am receiving are forced into the junk folder Using Outlook 2
G Re: outlook connector not working, forced to upgrade from 12.1 to 14.1 on xp sp2 system, with office 2003 Using Outlook 7
W Problem with outlook msncon.dll after forced upgrade of Outlook Connector Using Outlook 23
R Microsoft Outlook 2003 forced upgrade Using Outlook 1
J Forced to upgrade MS Connector ; now I can't access my hotmail Using Outlook 9
R IE7 forced to use Light Version Using Outlook 4
M Compile error: User-defined type not defined Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Encryption Type Error - Verizon and Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
C im getting a type mismatch error Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
D Calendar appointment, type 2 Using Outlook 2
T issue changing [Type] in dbo.ContactMainTable/ contacts seem to be deleted BCM (Business Contact Manager) 5
Diane Poremsky Fix the Outlook Folder Type after Exporting an IMAP Account New Slipstick.com Articles 0
T How to remove annoying Big Blue Type at beginning of my messages Using Outlook 2
L Font Type and Space Using Outlook 7
B Outlook 11 for Mac - Imap or Pop Account Type Using Outlook 6
F Change default value of date/time type from "None" to Blank Using Outlook 1
Rupert Dragwater Can't save font type in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
F "MSG" type attachments are stripped away when senand previewed with HTML tags. Using Outlook 3
V Type a contact to find NOT WORKING properly? Using Outlook 2
T Outlook 2010 encrypted connection type choices, meaning of Auto? Using Outlook 0
T Have to type in login to OWA twice before able to login Using Outlook 17
B Outlook contacts with Hotmail. - Error >>>The text exceeds the limit of 1024 characters. Type a shor Using Outlook 4
J Outlook 2010 Microsoft exchange server to pop account type switch? Using Outlook 2
S Type Randomly Enlarging in Email Messages in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 7
R Email type set to MAILTO Using Outlook 3
D Messages of type message/partial are not supported Exchange Server Administration 1
A Mapi session exceeded the maximum of 32 objects of type "session". Using Outlook 6
U 2 easy questions, Outlook 10 and an AOL IMAP type account Using Outlook 4
W Turn off "Replace text as you type" in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
D cannot remove email account type = Microsoft Exxchange Using Outlook 3
F Outlook Attachment - warning to send specific type of file Using Outlook 2
2 TYPE YOUR USER NAME AND PASSWORD. Using Outlook 4
N Can't type in message section of e-mail? Using Outlook 1
B Exception type: System.IO.IOException-Exception message: There is not enough space on the disk. when Using Outlook 2
Z I cannot type on Outlook's message body.__ Using Outlook 3
T Unable to change font type in email messages. Using Outlook 3
B I would like to change the font type, & font size globally for appointment notes that I allready hav Using Outlook 1
S When I type in a new email address, it no longer underlines it which means it cannot be sent Using Outlook 1
J Added Exch 2010 to 2003 envir. Mail to ext contact get "Body type not supported by Remote Host" Exchange Server Administration 4
S Cannot type in Body of email Using Outlook 3
D Outlook 2010 keeps reseting when sending type a new email. Using Outlook 1
T How to stop outlook from auto populating names when i type email addresses Using Outlook 1
Z Exchange 2010 - Exchange 2003 Coexistence: Smtp-Clients gets NDR: 554 5.6.1 Body type not supported Exchange Server Administration 3
C why does my outlook keep on asking my a user password? Every 15 minutes i have to type in my passwo Using Outlook 1
C Nothing shows when I type a new e-mail? Just blank screen Using Outlook 1
B Need help getting my outlook to create web links automatically when I type in the web address Using Outlook 1
V I can't type outgoing mssg. in body. Color is blue. I can send and receive only to.. and subject: lines. I receive emails and attachments OK. Using Outlook 1
F type chaacters Using Outlook 1
L unable to type a message in the message field Using Outlook 1