Status
Not open for further replies.

boblc123

Outlook version
Outlook on the web
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hello all,

I'm new here. I've recently been moved to a LAN Admin position so I'm still wet behind the ears. One of my first assignments is to figure this out.

We are running OWA from Exchange 2003. We have users running all different versions of IE (6, 7 and 8). Users running IE 6 can go to our OWA site and login with username and password only. However, IE 7 and 8 users are unable to login this way. If they type in their username and password, the pop up box comes back with mail.domain.com/username. If the user changes it to domain\username, it will let them login. Why are they being forced to enter a domain name when using IE 7 and 8, but not with 6?

Everything I've looked up seems to point to changes needing to be made on the Exchange server. However, this has to be an IE issue since it's only affecting IE 7 and 8. As a test, I took a user running IE 6 that was not experiencing the problem--then I upgraded them to IE 8 and the problem started. I then downgraded them back to IE 6 and the problem stayed. Then, I went into Internet Options and reset IE back to defaults and it started working fine again.

Any clue?

Also, if you haven't already, put the owa site in the trusted zone.

In IE's Tools, options-

Security tab: Check the browser security settings - near the bottom of the security options are authentication options. Compare the settings in the browsers.

Advanced: Is windows intergrated security enabled? (in the last section)

I think it worked! I went into the Tools>Internet Options>Security. Highlighted Trusted Sites and clicked "custom level".

At the bottom under Logon" it was set to Login when on Intranet. I changed it to "auto login with user name and password" (this was how the IE 6 machine was set).

That seemed to fix it. I really appreciate all of your help!!

Glad to point you in the right direction - and thanks for sharing what worked. It should help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Martull Forced signature when multiple accounts exist Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Outlook tasks keeps changing (updating) dates that I type Using Outlook 2
D Forwarding email based on the attachment file type and specific text found on the attachment file name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
H Search Email Header for Content Type Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
E Having some trouble with a run-a-script rule (moving mail based on file type) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
M Compile error: User-defined type not defined Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Encryption Type Error - Verizon and Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
C im getting a type mismatch error Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
D Calendar appointment, type 2 Using Outlook 2
T issue changing [Type] in dbo.ContactMainTable/ contacts seem to be deleted BCM (Business Contact Manager) 5
Diane Poremsky Fix the Outlook Folder Type after Exporting an IMAP Account Using Outlook 0
T How to remove annoying Big Blue Type at beginning of my messages Using Outlook 2
L Font Type and Space Using Outlook 7
B Outlook 11 for Mac - Imap or Pop Account Type Using Outlook 6
F Change default value of date/time type from "None" to Blank Using Outlook 1
Rupert Dragwater Can't save font type in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
F "MSG" type attachments are stripped away when senand previewed with HTML tags. Using Outlook 3
V Type a contact to find NOT WORKING properly? Using Outlook 2
B Outlook contacts with Hotmail. - Error >>>The text exceeds the limit of 1024 characters. Type a shor Using Outlook 4
T Get rid of having to type verification characters to send mail BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
A Help creating custom Contacts form - what type is 'Email' control? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J instructions disppear when users begin type (text field) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Adding a mail address/recipient type field to a form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Problem in temporary type toolbar Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Problem in permanent type add-in toolbar Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
R Add new type and Custom form on exchange Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
S Xref type property in an email header? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
T Setting a MAPI property of type PT_SYSTIME Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
C Unable to cast object of type 'System.Int32' to type 'System.Byte[ BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
M Outlook 2007 "Connection Status..." shows 3 "Disconnected" entries of type "Directory" Using Outlook 18
B Change data in an Internal Data Type Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
C How to create a custom 'View Type' Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
D Outlook 2007 AddIn: Filter attachments by type Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
K Re: Alert message every hour based on type/number of mail messages Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
O How to find out the domain and server settings that my Outlook is using? Using Outlook 2
P Search folder: all emails sent to or from a domain Using Outlook 1
C Outlook - Macro to block senders domain - Macro Fix Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J How to Block junk/spam domain Using Outlook 0
S Outlook 2021 Can you make emails from 3 word domains "safe" by entering top 2 word domain into Safe List in Outlook? Using Outlook 1
E Macro to block senders domain Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
L Checking Sender Email Address for trusted domain from list on intranet Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
D Outlook.com premium finally dying... what do I do with my domain? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
Witzker Macro to move @domain.xx of a Spammail to Blacklist in Outlook 2019 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
1 Incorrectly Setup a Rule at Domain level to not allow address from outside domain Exchange Server Administration 2
G <mailto:user@domain.com<mailto:user@domain.com<mailto:user@domain.com>>> Using Outlook 5
D Outlook 2010 account setup fails in particular domain Using Outlook 3
D Importing Outlook Categories from another domain (Exchange 2016/Outlook 2016) Using Outlook 4
W Save and rename outlook email attachments to include domain name & date received Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
R Outlook signatures depending on domain Using Outlook 2
G How to have domain client use owa server instead of exchange server while connect to network Using Outlook 1