Initial "Connecting" to public folders on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluphoto

Outlook 2003:

I have a shared calendar and shared tasks lists on my Outlook Today page. This is done by customising the outlook today HTML with object code, picking up the public folders using their EntryID's.

The problem is that when outlook starts, the folders show up as blank placeholders on the page. The only way to get them to show is to "visit" the actual folders first, then return to the today page where they miraculously appear!

I have created a macro which "visits" the two folders in turn, but I'm unable to automate the "return" to the today page as it doesn't appear as one of vba's "default" folders.

Can anyone tell me...

1. if I can "connect" to the public folders without actually visiting them?

2. if I have to visit them (using VBA) how can I then automate the return to the today page?

3. how to automate a script on first starting the outlook application. (there doesn't seem to be an "Outlook_Open()" Procedure header in the dropdowns.

Many thanks

Guy

yes.

When I say "visiting them", I need to put "outlook://[EntryID}" into the address bar to view them manually - I don't think visiting them from the public favourites (or through the public hierarchy) does any good.

So there are (only) three options that seem to work:

1. Entering "outlook://[EntryID}" into the adderss bar.

2. Running the command "Set Application.ActiveExplorer.CurrentFolder = Application.Session.GetFolderFromID("[EntryID], [StoreID]")" for each folder, from VBA.

3. Clicking on an "outlook://[EntryID]" hyperlink - which is effectively the same as #1.

I'd just like to automate the process so the folders are "there to see" when outlook starts.

thanks

Did you try using the folder path? "\Public Folders\All Public Folders\Group Calendar"

My mistake... Navigating to them through the hierarchy does actually "register" them as well and they are subsequently displayed on my today page when I return.

That said, clicking on them in my "favorites" does not.

Entering the full folder path in the address bar also works, but not the shortcut path from my favorites.

Still need to automate something on startup to connect to the folders though, rather than manually visiting each one before it will appear on my today page.

Okay, found the application_startup procedure call (I was stupidly looking in a module). Just need a way to programatically return to today page from VBA now.

That is the mailbox root folder - its easy to get back to.

something like

Set oFolder = Session.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox).Parent.Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P Linking email responses to initial email sent Using Outlook 5
V iCloud and Outlook 2007 iCloud - Initial setup with live data on all machines Using Outlook 2
S set the initial folder in PickFolder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
L Help connecting to hosted exchange server 2016 Using Outlook 0
D Connecting Gmail to Outlook 365 - My Setup not working Using Outlook 2
B Outlook 2010 Outlook not connecting to servers at Comcast. Using Outlook 3
crazyboy Problems connecting to BCM on Server Using Outlook 2
J Problems connecting to BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 16
D Connecting to Exchange changes calendar functionality Exchange Server Administration 1
C connecting to recent outlook file on new hard drive Using Outlook 2
K BCM - Connecting to Shared Database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
I iPad not connecting correctly to Outlook.com account Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 7
N Outlooking not connecting. Connection present Using Outlook 1
S Connecting to OMA from Outlook ? Using Outlook 1
D Issues connecting to echange Using Outlook 7
S Outllook 2007 stops connecting with Exchange after latest MS Updates Using Outlook 2
B Outlook not connecting to my email/server Using Outlook 1
D Connecting BCM 2007 to a shared BCM 2003 Database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
C Connecting to an addin in Outlook 2010 (or not) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
V Connecting BCM 2007 to SQL Server 2007 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
B connecting to shared database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
E Connecting to database failed BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
B Problem connecting to local BCM database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
J How to import many msg into different public folders in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
A Moving Public Folders to New Database Exchange Server Administration 3
Fozzie Bear Shared Public Folders Access and Use Exchange Server Administration 0
A Created a personal group that now appears to be a public group Using Outlook 3
A Prevent connection to Public Folders on Exchange? Exchange Server Administration 3
R Call a Public Sub when a Flag is clicked on in the Message Preview pane Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Copy Outlook Public Folders to a File Server Shared Folder Using Outlook 0
J Calling a Public sub-routine from the script editor via VB script Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
F How to assign a task to a public task folder? Using Outlook 1
D How to handle filing of emails from an Inbox Subfolder to a specific Public folder Using Outlook 1
D Record Appointment to Calendar on "Public Folder" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 13
R Problem with searching public folders Exchange 2013/16 Exchange Server Administration 2
C Outlook 2016: Searching in all (+public) folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
X Delay sending an email until the next working day (public holidays) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
L Public folders permissions Exchange Server Administration 1
Diane Poremsky Mail-enable Exchange Public Folders Using Outlook 0
K Macro to search emails between two time slots on public folders with excel export Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 12
Diane Poremsky How to Send Email When Traveling or Using Public Wi-Fi Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Data loss may occur during public folder migration Using Outlook 0
S Empty an Office365 public folder containing 20.000 messages Using Outlook 2
D Priasoft Public Folder Syncro? Exchange Server Administration 0
I Random Chinese characters in email copied from a pst file. Exchange Server 2016 Public Folder Exchange Server Administration 1
T Create new item in public folder using VBscript Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Public Folder email error, ndr returned. Exchange Server Administration 1
J Favorites in Public Folders issue Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Last Change attribute set after viewing a public folder contact Exchange Server Administration 0