connecting to recent outlook file on new hard drive

Cleo Parker

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Hi, I'm having a problem for the 2nd time in a couple of years and I want to try and fix it right the second time!

Recently, (June, 2014) our PC had a motherboard failure that caused a hard drive failure, we now have the computer back with new parts, and I had everything backed up via Carbonite, the folks who built and repaired the computer downloaded everything, I re-installed Office Professional 2010. I was able to set up my email account but the pst file it is referencing had no emails newer than 2011. I had this EXACT same problem when we first got this computer, I had multiple PST files, but could never locate the one with recent emails/contacts in it. I ended up with several named accounts and I always had to choose which one to open when I opened Outlook (not a big deal to me) I do not want to put up with this again. I located what I thought was a more current pst file, which had a file size around 1.oG, navigated to it in Outlook, clicked on it, and - nothing appears. Over the years I have accumulated quite a few pst files but it would seem like ONE of the ones with a date in late May would be the right one. What to do? I don't mind having the emails from the past couple weeks in a different account, it's the ones from the past calendar year I am most interested in restoring. Can someone help??

Cleo Parker

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Never Mind, I went into Outlook and I see the old one I opened is there, it was just collapsed below the new + 2011 one I had going already and I didn't notice. Let's change my question to: is there a way to merge the two?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Choose the one you want to keep as the default - if its not the current default, change it in it File, Account Settings. Close the other one, go to File, Open, Import and Export and import the pst you closed.

you'll probably want to disable archiving because it will eventually create another pst and move older mail to it, putting you back in this position.