Importing RSS on another computer (and feed locations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commodore

Outlook version
Outlook 2021 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Where does Outlook get/save the information on where to store RSS feeds (and the info on which RSS items have already been downloaded and read)? Can this be shared between computers, or somehow exported and re-imported (which would be extremely useful when setting up a new computer and migrating the data there)?

I have a separate PST file just for RSS feeds and other subscription emails, so no RSS is ever delivered to the default PST box. Well, my laptop is out of order, and I had to set up my old computer. No data lost, and I copied all PST files over. I imported RSS feeds from the OPML file. Upon receiving new items, the folder structure was set up "automatically" in the default RSS folder, and most items were downloaded there. However, some items got downloaded to the correct PST file (the one where I keep RSS on my main computer). How did Outlook "decide" where to put which (I didn't really notice any pattern)? (Of course ideally everything should go to that separate PST file... without having to go through feeds one by one manually...)

Did you reuse the old pst files from your old computer? The delivery data is stored in a hidden message in the data file - I have not looked at it when a separate pst is set up, but in mailbox where the feeds go into custom folders, the hidden message is in the Inbox. It can't be shared using the opml file or anything expressly sharable, but the hidden messages may be reused if you reuse the data file.

You can use MFCMAPI to browse inside a pst file.

No, there were no PST files on the old computer anymore - just Outlook which hadn't run in two years or so. Before starting anything, I copied all PST files from the laptop's disk (needless to say, the Outlook session there had not been closed "gracefully", since the laptop had BSOD-ed). I had to remove old RSS subscriptions on the old computer, prior to importing current subscriptions (from the laptop) via the OPML file. I guess something broke the delivery locations along the way.

Well, I opened the main PST with that tool. Which item exactly is the hidden message (I either couldn't find it, or it isn't there anymore)? Should Outlook be shut down when opening the pst file with MFCMAPI?

no, outlook does not need to be closed to use mfcmapi.
Open your profile in mfcmapi, double click on the default data file (if you have more than one data file) then expand the tree to find the inbox. right click on the inbox folder and choose open associated contents. The RSS feeds are listed there.

Hmm, should all of them be there, or is that just IPM.Configuration.RssRule item? I'm enclosing the screenshot of what the associated contents looks like.

Also, I've just noticed that several feeds have "Pending" under "Last Updated On" (under Account Settings > RSS feeds). What could have caused this?

Image1.png

Is there any way (or tool) to find and remove duplicates in folders? A lot of RSS feeds' items were re-downloaded for some reason, so there's a lot of redundancy in their respective folders.

It's been around a long time and unless it does something weird in Outlook 2010, its safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
HarvMan Importing PST into IMAP account Using Outlook 12
CWM550 Importing " Old Skool" Data Using Outlook 0
P Importing other e-mail accounts into Outlook Using Outlook 1
M How to setup outlook after importing old account information - Entering email account info creates with "(1)" after the account! Using Outlook 1
J Importing N2K from a different Exchange Server Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2010 Changing events in Outlook calendar via opening file, importing CSV Using Outlook 0
O Importing Mbox - anyone out there having experience with this tool... Using Outlook 2
D Importing Outlook Categories from another domain (Exchange 2016/Outlook 2016) Using Outlook 4
B Importing business card into Outlook for SIgnature Using Outlook 1
S Importing Ribbons Not Saved Using Outlook 7
V importing appointments to non-default calendar? Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Importing Lists from Excel to Outlook Using Outlook 0
B Importing Text from Excel to Outlook 2013 Calender Using Outlook 0
CWM550 Importing from Eudora Update Using Outlook 5
CWM550 Importing from Eudora Using Outlook 7
N Importing Google contacts from CSV file removes recipient names in autocomplete list Using Outlook 0
S Importing emails to contacts Using Outlook 3
Z Importing PST files from Outlook 07 to Outlook mac Preview Using Outlook 1
Z how to make OL (2007) to use custom contact form when importing / opening .VCF? Using Outlook 1
P Importing Thunderbird email to outlook Using Outlook 2
K Importing appointment body from excel in outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
A Importing too many emails from Gmail Using Outlook 2
J Importing to the correct calendar from Excel 2010 to Outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S Possible to link to ics file without importing? Using Outlook 4
L Importing Opportunities in to BCM 2013 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
K New to BCM - trouble importing contacts & accounts BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
LarryH Importing csv file to custom form/fields? Using Outlook 3
T Importing Excel 2010 data into Outlook Calendar 2010 Using Outlook 12
W Importing .pst from Outlook 2010 (Win7) to Outlook 2013 (Win8.1) Using Outlook 2
V Importing Rules in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 2
D Importing custom fields into custom form in BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
V Problem not having Contacts folder after importing emails from Yahoo. Using Outlook 0
O Importing contacts from CSV, comma delimited Using Outlook 7
B importing Outlook from a backup on an external hard drive Using Outlook 5
M Trouble Importing folders from Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 12
wallisellener BCM 2013 importing contacts from CSV file BCM (Business Contact Manager) 8
T BCM not importing address BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
T Importing OE6 e-mail to Outlook via Store Folder Using Outlook 9
A Trouble importing data to radio buttons Business Contact Manager 2010 (BCM) Using Outlook 2
H Importing Windows Live Mail Contact into Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
T Limit on importing Inbox mail from OE6 Using Outlook 16
M importing email address list from excel Using Outlook 6
O Importing pst, archive pst and address not working Using Outlook 17
N lose conditional formatting when importing to Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
C dates missing when importing emails Using Outlook 5
I Importing Outlook form into calendar folder? Using Outlook 1
R Exporting and importing contacts in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
K Importing CSV contacts- doesnt allow me to map or move forward V 2007 Using Outlook 1
G Importing Excel contact data base into Outlook Using Outlook 1
V Importing .pst file Using Outlook 1