Default Account Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godzilla

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I recently re-installed Windows and Office as part of adding an SSD. I have installed Outlook but have not configured it yet. In the prior installation, the primary/default email account used a POP address, and it seemed all functions were tied to this account. I have changed over to using Gmail with an IMAP type account, and I would like for this to be the primary account with the new installation. I have been looking up exporting, the importing the pst file, but it seems to me that when it imports I would still have the same situation.

How do I go about entering the IMAP account as the primary, but still transition over all of my data, including email histories?

Thanks for the reply Dianne;

I'm actually thinking I will keep the PST on the solid state. I still have about 64 GB left of the original 128 and I have installed my most critical programs. My thinking is that accessing data for outlook would be smoother with the faster drive. I don't really see why the PST files started going to documents because I believe they used to be saved in the program data, but then I'm only really a passive user. I do have a pretty large contacts list though (2,500+). I'm not exactly comfortable with changing the registry too.

I realized that the IMAP would download everything since it stays on the Google server for multi-device use. I mainly want the IMAP to be the default/primary, but not lose any of the history of emails from the POP account. That account is tied to a previous ISP which I have not used or subscribed to for over three years and may lose access to. It only really gets spam now, but the history is my main concern.

IMAP accounts cant use old pst files. You'll need to let outlook make a pst file for it and sync it. Before doing anything, are you going to direct the pst to a non-ssd drive? If so, set the forcepstpath key before creating the registry.

How to move the IMAP personal folder (*.pst) - Slipstick Systems

Oh yes, it will be faster on the SSD but a lot of people decide their pst too too big - guess they need a bigger drive. :)

IMAP pst files will stay in the %localappdata% path that outlook always used. My Docs path is for POP3 and user-created pst files because those are what need to be backed up - your pst will the contacts will be in my docs path.

No problem with your scenario - set up the imap account, set it as default, keep the old pst in the profile. The imap account should use it for calendar and contacts. Deleting the POP account from the profile won't remove the pst it uses, it only removes the account.

Ok, somehow I must have made a mistake when I actually made the move from the old HDD to the new SSD. I followed the tutorial I found on the link into Slipstick and moved the PST files manually from "documents" in my old HDD the Outlook 2010 I had been using, to "Documents" in the new SSD, also with Outlook 2010. When I opened Outlook then the data looked old based on the calendar and contacts. So I went back and booted into the old HDD and ran the "export" of the data from Outlook, (took a long time, I don’t know if that is normal) then booted back to new drive and ran "import". Nothing seemed to be correct, and when I checked the files in "documents" the new PST was over 10GB. I thought since I hadn't added the original POP account that may be why the incorrect data for contacts and calendar was incorrect. I tried to add it, but it wouldn't find the settings, and I would have to go reboot into the old system to get the manual settings. Before I started that, I checked the PST files again, and the imported one was up to 13GB. What am I doing wrong? I am quickly using up space in the drive.

is there anything new in the pst on the SSD? If not, delete it.

If the old drive is visible from the SSD boot, you can access the files without rebooting. Rather than export, find the pst files - if you created the old profile in Outlook 2010, pst files are in My Documents, Outlook Files. Copy them to the SSD then either create a new profile or edit the profile in Control panel, Mail to add the old pst and set one as default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
H Change Default Email Account Using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
Davzell Change default pop3 account with script, prf or registery ? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M Change default "automatically test account settings when Next is clicked" Using Outlook 1
O Exchange + pst: Can I change the default Outlook calendar/tasks/account? Exchange Server Administration 2
D How to change account used for replies from default Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
nmanikrishnan Auto-reply from default account Using Outlook 1
R How to get the Items object of the default mailbox of a specific account in a multiple account Outlook? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
R Auto display of new email does not work on non-default account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
T Outlook changes default account Using Outlook 1
V VBA when replying + Default Account Using Outlook 2
P Outlook.com account overrules default account Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 8
D Default Send Account that Works? Using Outlook 0
T Changing default Mail Account in Outlook 2016 - POP3 Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Set Another Data File as Default When Using an Exchange Account Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Shared Mailboxes and the Default 'Send From' Account Using Outlook 0
J Send and Receive Button - only check default account? Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Shared Mailboxes and the Default 'Send From' Account Using Outlook 0
M convert/import a customized record into the default "Account" record BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
Z Always Send from Default Account, depend of receive account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
Diane Poremsky Outlook, Multiple Accounts and the Default Account Using Outlook 4
reefclaw Outlook 2013 Cannot set outlook.com account as default data file Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
G How to make your IMAP email your default data account in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 17
D Save sent email in second account not default account? Using Outlook 1
K Default Account and Signature Selection Using Outlook 5
B MS Office 2010: Word email merge not selecting default Outlook account Using Outlook 1
N Default IMAP account not working after SP1 for Outlook 2010 installed Using Outlook 6
T Default account - Outlook Data File Using Outlook 1
R Issue in changing the default account Using Outlook 4
B Forwar email not using default account Using Outlook 1
R OL10 - Send To "Mail Recipient" doesn't go to default email account Using Outlook 23
J Set calendar default to 'none' (policy) Exchange Server Administration 3
J Calendar events created on iPhone automatically changing default alert from 'None' to 'Time of Event' Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
P turn off the default "all day" check box in new calendar items. How? Using Outlook 1
A Outlook 365 New Appointments All saved to a 365 default calendar on Mac Using Outlook 0
D Outlook 2021 Using vba code to delete all my spamfolders not only the default one. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
B Outlook 2019 Custom Email form - Edit default email form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
W Outlook 365 I am getting the "Either there is no default mail client" error when I try to send an email on excel Office 365 Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 2016 Change Paste Special Default Format Using Outlook 8
Geldner Tweak Junk Email Reporting tool to default to particular email on send? Using Outlook 3
P default font when sending email from browser Using Outlook 1
E Default shape via VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
A force outlook to default to MY calendar Using Outlook 3
F VBA to move email from Non Default folder to Sub folders as per details given in excel file Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2010 How to set default email address for website links Using Outlook 3
V Accepted meetings do not get the default reminder Using Outlook 0
Fozzie Bear Accepted Zoom Invites deleting without going into Default Calendar - Office 2016 Mac Using Outlook 3
W September 2020 - No Default Email Client message after Office Update Using Outlook 1
G Add to Outlook Contacts - Point to non-default contacts folder Using Outlook 0
E How to display "Change Folder" in Change Default Email Delivery Location in Exchange Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
F Default font for notes in contacts Using Outlook 1