Viewing of Calendar info

Status
Not open for further replies.

htd01

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Exchange is a great tool for contacts and appointment information. It's a great place to start building integrated solutions because it is simple. That said, I've been asked again and again "How can I view a monthly calendar with all events showing?"

There is no real easy way to do this unless your screen supports huge sizes. Why? Outlook uses a screen-size calculation to build the size of the view for a monthly calendar. If you have a monthly calendar and it is as busy as some I've dealt with, you'll need screen widths of close to 6000 pixels, and heights close to 2500 pixels.

How?

Some screens have a driver (graphic cards too) that allow you to set the screen size as large as you want. When using the outlook client app on windows, you will want to blow up your screen size as big as possible. Now you can blow up your outlook full screen and get as much info as possible. The downside? You now have to be able to scroll your screen up and down. Some people don't like things that complex. But my age (mid 20's) and younger are just fine with it after a day or so.

If you don't like the screen size adjustment, there is another way. If you have OWA, you can utilize it to view a monthly calendar as well, but the same screen rules apply for the monthly view. You can get around this by placing the page in an iFrame that has a set size. This will blow up your web-page, but will also make the calendar scrollable. However, you'd have to be logged in. So you would have to be able to view that calendar. There are ways to do this. If you use scripts from the microsoft technet documentation or the MSDN libraries to build pages for each person, you might be able to do it, but it wouldn't be as secure (the login info is stored in the scripts on the page! Anybody who can read source can have access!). So what do you do? If you want only a viewable calendar, I suggest you publish your calendar through OWA and restrict it (gives a weird, difficult to search url), and then place the URL (ends in .html) into a presized iFrame page. You can now use that page to view your monthly calendar.

If the OWA javascripts had been built for iFrames that are scrollable, they'd be alterable in a way that would make them more useful. A simple adjustment to the default OWA javascript files would suffice to make it apply for all users for all calendars. Why do this you ask? It could make the monthly calendar into an actual monthly calendar instead of a dud. Is it still possible to do? Sure. If you really know what you are doing, you can place all the info inside a presized iFrame by altering the javascripts that build the owa, but you'll have to use a browser that can read the page source and you'll have to know where to find the scripts, where to find the files etc. You could set the row and column size as a function that sets the frame size. How do I do that? Check the javascript. It grabs the calendar items for each day an displays it on the table if the table is sized properly (I think it uses a percentage script). If you could redo that search, but use the font size etc to build the iFrame size by adding row and column sizing with a short padding, and then make it scrollable. Build it with a set size to start, and run a test to see if the size you come up with is larger or smaller. Test the size of each row and set it to a specific size to allow some visual acuity, and you'll be all set with a custom OWA calendar view. If you're a programmer, please try. IF not, please don't. If you do, post some snippets here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Viewing shared calendar on smart phones Using Outlook 1
B Outlook Calendar Restricted Viewing Using Outlook 3
Diane Poremsky After viewing the Outbox, messages won't send Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Outlook crashes when viewing HTML Messages Using Outlook 0
P Viewing Meeting Organizer on room Mailbox Using Outlook 1
P Last Change attribute set after viewing a public folder contact Exchange Server Administration 0
H Viewing tasks with mail? Using Outlook 1
ACM Viewing Outlook calendars on multiple devices Using Outlook 3
P Custom Forms in Reading/Viewing Pane Using Outlook 1
R Viewing & Using custom forms/tasks in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 1
M Viewing .GIF animations in browser Using Outlook 1
A Viewing emails after error Using Outlook 4
T Viewing tasks for all users within a group in a single view? Using Outlook 3
J problems with viewing aol emails in Outlook Using Outlook 3
C Viewing all Shared Tasks in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
A viewing tasks - lower right - in email window Using Outlook 1
D Viewing Other Shared Calendars Using Outlook 1
H show bcc field when viewing a sent message Using Outlook 15
M Viewing Custom Form Fields in the Reading Pane and in Replies Using Outlook 3
Z Viewing Forms Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Macro for Viewing mails one after the other in the Reading Pane Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M EMail viewing security levels BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
O Any 3rd party tool that sync (mirror) from Outlook Calendar to Google Calendar? Using Outlook 5
Fozzie Bear Calendar Events created on iPhone have suddenly start sending invitations to attendees Using Outlook 2
J Set calendar default to 'none' (policy) Exchange Server Administration 3
J Calendar events created on iPhone automatically changing default alert from 'None' to 'Time of Event' Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
G Outlook 365 My iCloud Outlook doesn’t work after reinstalling Microsoft365 on Windows 10 PC – now I get error message on contacts and calendar Using Outlook 1
G Creating Macro to scrape emails from calendar invite body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
U When opening shared Calendar "The set of folders cannot be opened" Using Outlook 0
P Can no longer sync Outlook with iPhone calendar after iPhone update to 17.1.1 Using Outlook 7
P turn off the default "all day" check box in new calendar items. How? Using Outlook 1
A Outlook 365 New Appointments All saved to a 365 default calendar on Mac Using Outlook 0
V Unchecking my calendar and leaving shared one visible Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
V VBA Categories unrelated to visible calendar and Visual appointment Categories Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M New Calendar Appointments: Conditionally turn off reminder and show time as free Using Outlook 5
J Cannot edit a calendar event received as an invitation Using Outlook 2
H Outlook 365 O365 outlook calendar item editing Using Outlook 1
Kika Melo Outlook Calendar deleted appointments not in Deleted Items folder Using Outlook 3
P Copying ALL calendar entries from Calender in PST file to IMAP OST file? Using Outlook 1
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Question about calendar Using Outlook 5
icacream Outlook 2021 - Google calendar in the peek Using Outlook 0
e_a_g_l_e_p_i MY Outlook 2021 changed the format of the shortcuts for mail, calendar etc. Using Outlook 10
Fozzie Bear Shared Calendar For Scheduled Tasks Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
K Add an entry to a specific calendar Using Outlook 1
F Add a category before "Send an Email When You Add an Appointment to Your Calendar" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
L Synch Outlook 365 calendar with iPhone Using Outlook 0
C Recover calendar Using Outlook 0
R How to prevent corrupted Notes format in Calendar and Contacts Using Outlook 0
L Duplicate calendar entries in Outlook 365 Using Outlook 3
G Stop Outlook 365 adding meetings to calendar Using Outlook 1