How do I get rid of the underscores when replying to a message in Outlook 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfaulkner44

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
This is driving me crazy! OK, crazier. LOL When I reply to a message in Outlook 2010, that reply appears in the person's message with underlines for the first two lines. I finally got the text changed to black after many tries, but I cannot get the underlines to disappear even though I have underline set to None. This was done by clicking on the 'files' tab/options/mail/Stationery and Fonts button/ Personal Stationery tab and finally Replying or Forwarding and clicking the font tab. I have the underline set to (none). Hopefully someone on here has the trick to fix this. Also, for some reason I can't use the 'enter' key on my keyboard to move to the next line, so everything is in one paragraph. Any help on that would also be appreciated since I know this is hard to read. Thanks so much, Judy F., SW Florida - USA

Re: How do I get rid of the underscores when replying to a message in Outlook

I think that is the problem - you are setting it to none for the selected text, but the other text isn't getting changed. I've seen this before, now if i could only remember the cause and how to fix it without editing the registry. :)

Close Outlook, open the registry edit and delete these and similar values from the MailSettings key. That will set the fonts back to the default - if you want to change the font, do so, but so not touch the underline value.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\MailSettings\

ReplyFontComplex

ReplyFontSimple

Hi Diane, just so you know, I am really gun shy about messing with the registry in case something gets goofed up. But I decided to follow your steps and I am stuck. I got to the part about 15.0 and I don't have 15.0. I have 14.0 and as I follow through with the remainder of your instructions, everything is there that you mention. What is the difference and should I use the 14.0. Thanks, Judy F., SW Florida - USA

Sorry about that - i forgot to change it to 14 (your version). Export MailSettings key (right click, export) before deleting the values from the right side. This way you can restore them if you goof up. But its not anything that will cause outlook to not work or the computer to act goofy.

Thanks Diane, I will work on this tomorrow when I'm more awake. LOL

Maybe I will remember the non-registry method now that I'm more awake. :)

Maybe I will remember the non-registry method now that I'm more awake. :)

Hi Diane, well I finally got around to try your solution and I followed your instructions and I am now getting blue text, which I had changed to black, but that's no big deal, but I am still getting the underlines on some of my replies. I can't figure out what is different between one and another reply, they are all replies or reply alls. Any other ideas? Thanks, Judy F., SW Florida - USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
2 How to get rid of the "Emailing:" prefix in the subject line Using Outlook 1
Commodore Getting rid of "This computer only" Using Outlook 4
A How to get rid of Contacts field when printing emails? Using Outlook 0
A How to get rid of "sending on behalf of" when sending from Outlook 2016 client Using Outlook 12
I Many empty Contacts folders.. cannot get rid of them Using Outlook 4
O How do I get rid of odd formatting of new e-mails? Using Outlook 3
L HOw to get rid of multiple recurrent appointments that are all the same Using Outlook 1
W How to get rid!? Using Outlook 19
T Get rid of having to type verification characters to send mail BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
U Outlook locking up when replying to Email Using Outlook 7
T Original email text not shown when replying or forwarding the email. Using Outlook 9
S Customize the autocolor font choices for replying/forwarding messages Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R Disable conversation thread from replying of recipients in the same subject. Please help Using Outlook 0
N Macro to move all recipients to CC while replying Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
B Looking to get the Recipient email address (or even the "friendly name") from an email I am replying to using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
mctabish Replying to an email if received in several inboxes Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R Setting font and color used when replying to an email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
J Help Please!!! Outlook 2016 - VBA Macro for replying with attachment in meeting invite Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
S Received mail as part of DL, need to auto-CC the same when replying Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
V VBA when replying + Default Account Using Outlook 2
P Replying to calendar item using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
Mark Foley Outlook multi-spacing Thunderbird signatures when replying Using Outlook 0
D Macro to scan email distribution list when replying Using Outlook 2
G VBA/Macro to remove page colour when replying or forwarding email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S Save in folder other than Sent when replying with Quick Steps Using Outlook 5
D VBA Code to strip Subject Line when replying or forwarding Using Outlook 3
O Setting default format for composing/replying to emails Using Outlook 3
J Macro for replying to One Email with another Using Outlook 1
H "Normal" Style Changes When Replying Using Outlook 4
T To: and Cc: not displaying when forwarding/replying to .eml files Using Outlook 4
V Reply Arrow Icon appears when both Replying or Forwarding Using Outlook 3
A Form disappears when replying to it Using Outlook 4
F Script needed for replying to email address in body of receiving email Using Outlook 46
K Automatically Change "From" Address When Replying As An Alias? Using Outlook 5
S Changing Double-Space Default When Replying To Emails Using Outlook 2
M Font Size Too Small When Replying and Sendig Emails on Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
C Open message is stuck minimized -Odd behavior when replying to a message(2010) Using Outlook 1
W Email becomes "unread" after replying to it. Using Outlook 8
K Move conversation to folder after replying Using Outlook 1
B How to automatic save Sending or replying contacts e-mails into contacts? Using Outlook 0
O Different colors when replying messages Using Outlook 1
D Formatting Styles when Replying Using Outlook 10
S Blank body when replying with an Outlook Form. Using Outlook 21
S Outlook 2007 Macro for replying to an e-mail. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D How to retain attachments in message when replying to sender Using Outlook 4
D Deleting a message from your inbox after replying. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Button for 'When Replying to a Message' Settings Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C Persist the email format and attachments / images while replying A Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5