Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbinkley

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hello,

I am wondering if there is a way, using VBA or otherwise, to strip the email subject line out of the email when replying or fowarding. I want to ALWAYS be forced to type a new subject line, so as to make sure that I'm always sending an intelligent subject line.

As you cannot hook into the Outlook 2013 button clicks by VBA like you could in all previous versions, it'd a lot of work to know for sure when you're going to reply or forward. An easy approach, and probably reliable enough, would be to check for the known phrases, like 'RE:', at the beginning of the subject. If found, call the Inputbox function to prompt you. You can do that in the ItemSend event.

These two samples could be adapted and merged:
http://www.vboffice.net/en/developers/prompt-for-missing-subject-before-sending
http://www.vboffice.net/en/developers/remove-text-from-email-subject

However, IMHO you shouldn't change the subject the sender has chosen, be it intelligent or not. Neither you nor the sender could group, sort, or find such messages.

Yeah, changing the subject line on replies should be avoided - it breaks conversation groups and makes it harder to follow threads. I also don't recommend hitting reply to start a new message to the person - i know a lot of people do this instead of opening a new message and typing in the address.

BTW, i have a macro that can 'do something' when you hit reply, but it doesn't work if you are using the new reading pane compose feature in Outlook 2013/2016 - the message needs to be popped out. <== this is the problem michael alluded to. It works fine if you disable reading pane compose or always open messages in new windows to read them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Outlook 2021 Using vba code to delete all my spamfolders not only the default one. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
K vba code to auto download email into a specific folder in local hard disk as and when any new email arrives in Inbox/subfolder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
D VBA code to select a signature from the signatures list Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
S Excel vba code to manage outlook web app Using Outlook 10
S Outlook VBA How to adapt this code for using in a different Mail Inbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Add VBA save code Using Outlook 0
C Auto Run VBA Code on new email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
F VBA code to dock Styles whenever I write or edit an email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Skype for business meeting vba code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Expand VBA Permanent Delete Code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
B Outlook Business Contact Manager with SQL to Excel, User Defined Fields in BCM don't sync in SQL. Can I use VBA code to copy 1 field to another? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
A VBA Code in Outlook disappears after first use Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
F VBA to ensure a code is entered in Subject title Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N Open & Save VBAProject.Otm using VBA Code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R VBA Code to permanently delete selected email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
C Need VBA code to automatically save message outside outlook and add date Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S VBA Code to move mail items from search folder to inbox subfolder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
B VBA Code to create appointment from email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M VBA Code to Restart Outlook on error Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Z Default VBA code for extracting data from email (Outlook) to Excel? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
T VBA to Sort Rules [A-Z] - code provided Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
M VBA Auto-Reply code for Two Mailboxes on one Outlook Session. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
Z Protecting VBA code - anything new? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
G VBA code to enable a rule based on time of day for a IMAP mail account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 14
S VBA code to rename a task (flagged message) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M VBA code to save email attachments (PDF) as email subject line Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
F VBA Code to change subject Like Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Diane Poremsky Pasting VBA code (and other editing) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
C Required VBA code to complete task when replied to Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Kelli VBA code for Outlook Using Outlook 1
S Requried a VBA Code to export Calander details to excel... Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
M VBA Code to extract data from an Outlook Form Using Outlook 0
M VBA code needed to move from Outlook 2010 subfolder to Symantec Vault subfolde Using Outlook 0
C In need of VBA code to read / parse HTML - Outlook emails Using Outlook 0
R [VBA] complicated(?) outlook events - need help with code Using Outlook 15
R how to get Outlook VBA code to work on the current folder Using Outlook 3
J VBA code can't be completely executed in outlook 2013 Using Outlook 0
D VBA: Send-From Code for Template Shortcut? Using Outlook 0
P VBA Code being completely ignored by Outlook Using Outlook 7
M Updating VBA code from outlook 2007 to outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
J VBA code to determine 'show' state of SearchBar Using Outlook 7
D VBA code running on Server? Shared mailbox email routing Using Outlook 3
L Send E-mail with VBA code from [E-mail Distribution Group] if I have “Send as” Using Outlook 6
S Outllok 2007 VBA code to send mail automatically from drafts folder Using Outlook 1
S ThisOutlookSession in VBA not there anymore and code is gone Using Outlook 2
F No Attachment Warning - VBA Code HELP Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J VBA code (rules) won't work after reboot Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
N VBA code to show today's date + a sequencial number in subject lin Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Accessing .pst folder in outlook using VBA Code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
C Beginner Needs VBA Help in Modifying Code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2