DavidCP

How do I keep the original attachment in a message when I reply to that
message?

If you mean you opened the attachment and edited it, then any edit will have
been lost.
You would need to open / edit the attachment then done a 'save as' to your
drive before replying and adding the attachment

"DavidCP" <DavidCP> wrote in message
news:E79DAF92-EAB1-44A7-BE5F-F6FA01009BF6@microsoft.com...
> How do I keep the original attachment in a message when I reply to that
> message?

DavidCP wrote:

> How do I keep the original attachment in a message when I reply to that
> message?

Why would you? The sender already has the file. After all, they gave it to
you. They don't need it back. When replying, you don't give back the
attachments that the sender gave you since they already have those files.

If the sender claims to have lost the file, why can't they extract it out of
the copy of the e-mail in their Sent Items folder? Are they claiming that
they somehow lost all their e-mails and now need you to send back the one
with the attachment? If so, just *forward* it to them. Be sure to "forward
as attachment" so the original e-mail is kept intact. Forwarding inline
means to create a new e-mail with the body of the old one inside the body of
your new e-mail but other content, like headers, is lost. So forward as an
attachment.

Or just save the attachment from the original e-mail and attach it to a new
e-mail that you send back to the sender who apparently no longer has that
file.

That's all fine - except for those times when the original sender sends an attachment to someone else in your organisation, who then replies to that person (thereby losing the attachment) but also copies someone else into that reply, asking that someone else to work on the information in the attachment without realising that it has dropped off. Then they go on leave, so the someone else has to contact the original sender asking them to re-send it so that she can do the work requested ...

One other way is to send two emails, one a Reply to the original sender and the other a Forward to the person being asked to do the work.

The only other way to keep the attachment, if you're copying someone else in, is to Forward it to the someone else, and then type in the original sender's email address as well. In an organisation the colleague's address is usually pre-set, whereas often the attachment has come from 'outside' and will need to be re-typed in full, so it's easier for people to Reply to the external person and just Copy in the colleague.

Thanks Outlook :(

How often does it happen that you add a CC to a reply and ask someone to work on the information? It's possible to use a macro to always add the file back, but if its a once in a while thing you're sending a lot of files back to the sender that serve only to use up everyone's mailbox quota or make them edit the message to delete the files. It's a double edged sword. :)

Better would be to send links to files on a file server, SharePoint, OneDrive or any of the file share services. Unfortunately Outlook doesn't automatically save attachments to a share and add the link and few users will do it unless forced to by company policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R Retain Original Message When Forwarding With Macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
R How can I retain embedded object with voting button reply? Using Outlook 5
T Exchange / Outlook 2010 - How to cancel meetings but retain the calendar entry Using Outlook 4
D Script help - retain forwarded email body & location of script Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
L Outlook attachments from OneDrive as links Using Outlook 0
G Print email attachments when hit subfolder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Saving Emails and Attachments as .msg file Using Outlook 3
KurtLass Opening Graphics Attachments in Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 0
F Outlook 2016 Email with attachments not being received Using Outlook 2
Commodore PDF attachments started to open in Edge Using Outlook 0
T Outlook 2021 Cannot open attachments Outlook DeskTop 2021 Using Outlook 0
D ISOmacro to extract active mail senders name and email, CC, Subject line, and filename of attachments and import them into premade excel spread sheet Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Witzker Outlook 2019 Macro to answer a mail with attachments Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P Print attachments automatically and move the mail to an existing folder called "Ted" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
G Schedule recurring email and attachments display Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
G Save and Rename Outlook Email Attachments Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
L Macro/VBA to Reply All, with the original attachments Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A Attachments.Delete Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M Deleting attachments does not reduce file size Using Outlook 0
L unblocking attachments before sending Office 365 Advanced Protection Using Outlook 0
I Saving attachments from multiple emails and updating file name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
R Use an ItemAdd to Save Attachments on Arrival Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
shrydvd vba to secure zip attachments Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
R fetching blocked attachments Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
H Outlook 2016 sent over 30 copies of an e-mail with attachments Using Outlook 1
W Automatically open attachments without automatically printing them Using Outlook 0
O Save attachments using hotkey without changing attributes Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
T Outlook converts sent email to txt attachments when sync Using Outlook 0
Nadine Rule to move attachments with specific name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Outlook is NOT removing attachments. Using Outlook 4
Dan_W Nested email attachments Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
M Print email and, attachments sent in hyperlinks in the email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
W Save and rename outlook email attachments to include domain name & date received Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
S DRAGGING MAIL AND ATTACHMENTS TO CALENDAR Using Outlook 1
D Print attachments automatically and moves the mail to a new folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
G Download pdf attachments only if email subject has one of words Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
D Saving Selected Emails as PDF and saving Attachments Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
R Quick Access view in File Explorer when saving attachments Using Outlook 0
J Save E-mail attachments in a specific folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
broadbander Needing help with reply/reply all while keeping attachments and adding a new CC recipient. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
I Forwarding attachments in email received Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
A Outlook - Send New 20 Attachments through Email Using Outlook 4
D Print Attachments only in selected emails using a macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M Outlook 2016 msg attachments Using Outlook 0
N Saving And Deleting Outlook Attachments with Unknown Error Message Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Macro for attachments download adjustment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M VBA macro for Inbox's attachments search Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
C Auto save outlook attachments when email is received Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Outlook 2010 Cannot Open Attachments Using Outlook 14
I Print Automatically Attachments Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3